Thread: Noob Questions

Icon5 Noob Questions

OK, have been playing for a while now, got a few questions.

How do I keep my generals from being stuck as settlement governors? Often the province is newly conquered and rebels if they leave...

A random advisor pop-up shows whenever I start the game. I assume it's the backup script, since it removes itself. This correct?

I recall hearing there's a way to rename the little text banner that shows up when you mouse over something....but I don't remember how. Can someone tell me? I have a list of permanent forts I'd like to make unique.

Strategy-wise, how do I level up generals? Winning victories doesn't seem to do much...are there other considerations?

Greece and Sparta are in a looping "declare war, ceasefire" situation because Sparta only has one city. Hilariously, it has full stacks outside most of Southern Greece, but can't take them because ceasefires are in the way. Any way to deal with this?
    Last edited by reaper101; December 17, 2015 at 06:43 PM.
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

Default Re: Noob Questions

Quote Originally Posted by reaper101 View Post
    OK, have been playing for a while now, got a few questions.
    Great start, but.....

A random advisor pop-up shows whenever I start the game. I assume it's the backup script, since it removes itself. This correct?
    I've moved this - because I implore you to make sure you have read all the details you can find about absolutely ensuring that you run the background script, each and every time you load up the gain - BEFORE you do anything else. Load, click on the Advisor, make sure 1d has been added.

How do I keep my generals from being stuck as settlement governors? Often the province is newly conquered and rebels if they leave...
    Why are they stuck? (You're not the only one to seem to worry about this.....) Either leave them there a little while whilst you sort out the settlement, rest & recuperate, etc - or - have a Governor ready and waiting, with some occupation troops.

I recall hearing there's a way to rename the little text banner that shows up when you mouse over something....but I don't remember how. Can someone tell me? I have a list of permanent forts I'd like to make unique.
    This is something I've never tried and don't recommend. 'Tweaking' can cause all sorts of issues unless you know of every single place in the text files that will be affected.

Strategy-wise, how do I level up generals? Winning victories doesn't seem to do much...are there other considerations?
    Terribly gamey - why worry? Fight your battles and see what happens. They will progress at a rate commensurate with what you do with them. There really is no 'leveling up'.

Greece and Sparta are in a looping "declare war, ceasefire" situation because Sparta only has one city. Hilariously, it has full stacks outside most of Southern Greece, but can't take them because ceasefires are in the way. Any way to deal with this?
    The 'survival script' - I argued hard against this, but....... It's been a while, I'm afraid I'll have to pass and hope that someone else recalls quicker how to disable that - if that's what you're after.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

It is in fact mostly winning battles. Specifically "Clear" victories (easy enough to get) while "Crushing" victories help more.

If your generals are just faffing about here and there then they will likely not get to max rank. For best effects use young ones and just ram them into settlements over and over (easiest way to get a lot of Clear victories)

While any string in the game can be edited (how else do translated versions work) all forts are the same as afar as game is concerned, so you probably can't give those names.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    The 'survival script'
    The amusing thing is Sparta starts as allies with Rome and pretty much always immediately the script breaks that by making them neutral. Heh.
    Last edited by Alavaria; December 18, 2015 at 01:31 AM.

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

The "monstruous" Spartan faction caused a lot of annoying moments for me because they just make nothing, except to keep the Free Greeks stucked in the Greece-area.
    As ur-Lord Tedric stated, the survival script (almost allways) blocks the Greeks to eliminate Sparta.

Without Sparta, I think, the Free Greeks (britons) could easily overrun even Macedon and could be a greater challenge for Rome - I'm a Roman player, obviously.

IMHO the whole "Spartan"-thing is/was over-exagerated, mostly because some unhistorical fiction-horror movies, like "300"; "Sparta" as faction just simply occupy a precious slot in the hardcoded faction limit.

Of course, Sparta has it's place as swap faction in a Spartan campaign, but not in other campaigns - it just simply cause troubles.

I don't want to make some unfounded promises, but maybe... maybe I will give a try to replace Sparta with Bosporans(with some helps, of course), in the Roman campaign, after RS3 will be released - straining with RS2.6 is pretty pointless for now.

And why with Bosporans? Picking from the existing swap factions Syracusae and Massalia would be pointless, because they would be no challenge for the (Roman) player, and they would be eliminated in the early phase of the game. Bithynia would be overruned quickly by the Attalides. The only viable option remains the Bosporan Kingdom which have chances to survive to the later phases of game and could be a balance and challenge factor in the Black Sea area, between the Greeks, Scythians and Sarmatians.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Great start, but.....
    I've moved this - because I implore you to make sure you have read all the details you can find about absolutely ensuring that you run the background script, each and every time you load up the gain - BEFORE you do anything else. Load, click on the Advisor, make sure 1d has been added.
    Why are they stuck? (You're not the only one to seem to worry about this.....) Either leave them there a little while whilst you sort out the settlement, rest & recuperate, etc - or - have a Governor ready and waiting, with some occupation troops.
    This is something I've never tried and don't recommend. 'Tweaking' can cause all sorts of issues unless you know of every single place in the text files that will be affected.
    Terribly gamey - why worry? Fight your battles and see what happens. They will progress at a rate commensurate with what you do with them. There really is no 'leveling up'.
    The 'survival script' - I argued hard against this, but....... It's been a while, I'm afraid I'll have to pass and hope that someone else recalls quicker how to disable that - if that's what you're after.
    Alright. Thanks for the prompt reply!
    I'm not after disabling the script just yet...I think I'll just nail a Greek city, and hand it over to Sparta for an alliance. That way, ceasefires don't loop and the Greeks will have a major threat to deal with while I handle the Arveni and Cimbri hordes

New question:
    Usually I like to base my game out of a flash drive for ease of transport and "plug and play" ability. Since this game runs off a launcher, what is the feasibility of this?
    Alii inferre bellum, facientibus pacem.

Usually I like to base my game out of a flash drive for ease of transport and "plug and play" ability. Since this game runs off a launcher, what is the feasibility of this?
    Should be fine. Try the following:

Copy a clean copy of RTW into your flash drive.
    "Install" RS2 into the copy of RTW on your flash drive.
    The launcher should be in the right place and work just fine then.

You MAY be able so simply copy a working RTW+RSII folder into your drive, try this first. But if that doesn't work do the above.