Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A.E.I.O.U. [Finished]

Default Re: A.I.E.O.U.

Excellent updates SK! There are some minor typos in the text, but I like the drama you create with both your text and your images. Also, the little details such as the letter or some of the non-battle pictures are really cool as well!
    Good job.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good update, it sounds like the attack of the archers on the Austrian right flank was devastating. I like the line about one silver coin a day not being enough to face such a brutal battle. I wonder if Russia will continue to attack Austria.

@Zeion Thanks^^ Oops I am really bad at finding typos and I really fast, so I guess I make many...
    @Alwyn Yeah, was kinda surprised how good they are, I never used archers in ETW except in the warpath campaign

Chapter III Part V - Alltag

The men, about 300, marched for hours, despite the heat. The steps of these men, armed with pikes, were the only thing to hear, everything else was silenced by the hot and humid weather.
    Every single of the men wanted to rest and seek the shawos but the flag-bearer, a big bulky man armed with a sword and harness, relentlessly expedited the 'soldiers'. Boys, most of them not older than seventeen, taken from their families to patrol the borders. With the capture of Klausenburg by the Polish-Lithuanians were raids by soldiers not uncommon. After five hours of marching granted the commander a small break under a tree, next to a creek. The boys were relieved, finally they could wash down the dust in their throats and rest their swollen, leathery feets.

"Oi, have you heard", said someone to a young man, who sat alone next to a small moss overgrown rock, "I heard the overlord of this fief abandoned it and fled to Vienna. We are fighting for abandoned land. Some of the other thought we would be able to overwhelm the others and make this land our own, what ya think?"

The young man -called Wilhelm- looked dumbfounded into the eyes of the guy standing in front of him. Never, under no circumstances would he ever think of betraying his country. He managed to scare of the traitor by just looked into his eyes. Without hesitation, he stood up and reported the plotters. These men, fourty-three in number, were hung and left for the crows. Thus ended the break for many of the juveniles. Later the overlord, Lord Friedrich von Mannenburg, would hear of this incidend and had the man in charge executed, for he did not like verdicts without a fair trial.
    A few days later would this patrol of 257 boys meet an enemy raid force. With their pikes had the soldiers no problems against the cavalrymen. After a few weeks of patrol were these boys known as 'the wardens', because they managed to defeat every enemy force thrown at them. They even were honored by the Friedrich von Mannenburg, a young noble men who rapidly rose to influence, by visiting them with his nine year-old daughter, eventough she barely was allowed to go outside, people were frightened by her two different eye colors. She often was said to be cursed but The Lord of Mannenburg never took it seriously.

Soon after, in 1623 began the attacks to stop. Lowów -a city in Galicia- Munich and Godánsk, the capital of Pommerania, were besieged by the Austrians and stopped ever single enemy force to cross the eastern and nothern borders.

Good update! The wardens look like an impressive unit, despite the plotting of the traitors, and the detail of people's reaction to the daughter of Friedrich von Mannenburg is intriguing.

Thanks Alwyn^^ Yes, by now they earned some chevrons (Well, they mainly fought the endless cavalry units, the AI spams )

Chapter III Part VI - Alte Feinde

April 1623, a most alarming report reached the three 'eminences grise'.

Firstly, a Polish army played havoc in Poland and no army was nearby to deal with it. More and more important towns and villages were destroyed and sacked, a wastefully economic loss and no army was nearby to deal with it; all of the three Austrian armies were besieging cities.

Secondly, the old archenemy France, the declared war on Habsbugian Monarchy. Despite being at war with Spain and England decided Louis XIII to attack the war-torn country.
    Lastly, France landed in Ragusa and a gargantuan army disembarked, harvested food and souls alike in the lands and slowly marched towards Vienna.

The three disposers decided to negotiate with Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth but it wasn't until early winter that a treaty was signed, after the capture of Gdánsk hence Pommerania.

Battle for Gdánsk
    spoiler

spoiler

(A fierce battle emerged at the right flank, after the Polish attempted to attack the Austrian musketeers

The swordmen got their sword wet, when they attacked the Polsh left flank

Simultaneously charged cuirassiers at the enemy artillery

At the end fled the Polish the field of battle and dropped their arms; citizens cannot compete with battle-tested soldiers

As a consequence had Florian Frey break-off his siege of Lówow. He later was asigned to stop the French army, but between him and the French were over a thousend kilometers. Nothing stood between them and Vienna!

Notes

Louis XVII (also called 'le juste' - the just) ( 1601 - 1643) was the French Monarch from 1610 - 1643

Pretty good so far! Don't know if it's your purpose, but in the spoiler on your most recent chapter, there is no content in the first spoiler. Anyhoot, good job so far!

Thanks Rabbit55821^^ No, for some reason it just would not want to go away...

Chapter III Part VII - Die Franzosen!!

First Report of Paul Wiedermann - September 1623
    The French are getting closer and closer, a siege cannot be prevented! The emperor and his ministers have been evacuated. Citizens will be given arms.

Fourth Report of Paul Wiedermann - September 1623
    They have arrived a few days ago; I can see the' Pavillon Royal de France' above the tents even from my place.

(Vienna in the first half of the 17th century. Etching by Jacob Hoefnagel)

Diary of an unknown Viennese citizen - September 1623
    "The French are here! Soldiers rise and defend the walls!" Those were the words of a man I met last evening in the town's square. Yes! We are eager to fend off every attacker, that hammers against our walls. Never will the enemy be able to even only lay an eye on my wife and daughters as long as I have a weapon in my hands and a beating heart.

Sixth Report of Paul Wiedermann - October 1623
    What grand army stands in front of our mighty walls! Pikemen from Suisse and swedish cannoneers, the most elite men! The many pikes and halberds resemble a thick forest, one does not want to go into this one. The enemy saps are in range of our cannons, which began to sing their loud cracking songs. Our granary is still full, but a plague begins slowly to spread.

Diary of an unknown Viennese citizen - October 1623
    I was asigned to help load the cannons. What powerfull machinery this is. I could feel every shot with every centimeter of my body. I don't know how many of our cannon balls hit their target but I am sure these wicked frenchman get what they become.

Seventh Report of Paul Wiedermann - October 1623
    Boredom is a fearsome enemy, every game has been played, every song sung and no play seems to be entertaining, but our men hold strong, our walls have not even been scrached.

Nineth Report of Paul Wiedermann - October 1623
    Today we, my military advisers and I have begun to plan a sortie. One of the enemy cannons looks undefended, I think curageous and valiant men can silence them.

Diary of an unknown Viennese citizen - November 1623

I am part of a small group of men to leave the city and attack some enemy position. I had never imagined that I'd get the chance to gain glory. But it makes me sad, maybe I will see my wife, my beloved Marianne, my three daughters for the last time. I will use the maybe-last days to make them happy. Also, I will repent and pray for the lives of my loved ones.

Twelveth Report of Paul Wiedermann - November 1623

It takes me a lot of strength to write this, I am the victim of a terrible sickness. Our sortie was a success! Sixty men, what brave men, left the city through the east gate and slowly sneaked through some woods. After a day they reached the undefended cannons. There, a battle, people will sing songs about this fierce fight, emerged. Our men won the battle but, alas, many were lost!

Thirdteenth Report of Paul Wiedermann - November 1623
    Unrelentlessly play the men with their cannons. One barely can sleep at night, cannoneers seem to not know sleep! But we are safe behind our walls, whilst the enemy stands unprotected in the open fields.

Fourteenth Report of Paul Wiedermann - January 1624
    When I peer above crenellations I can see a big mass-grave. The harsh winter took many frenchmen and froze their cannons. We, on the other hand, are safe in our houses. But the stocks are low; I think I have to shorten the rations...

Twentieth Report of Paul Wiedermann - January 1624
    The people are rejoicing, the childreen are dancing in the streets, what embraces! Hoist the flags, the Monarchy remains unbend! The caitiff Frenchmen are running, a little hunger and cold makes them run like the chicken they are. Half their army litters our wunderful ground.

(A sunrise to shine away the old dark days of fear)

Notes:
    Paul Widermann was the mayor of Vienna from 1623 - 1625

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

There have been some nice updates since I last looked at this. Your most recent chapter is particularly interesting for the almost diary-like style you've used. Your pictures are great, too!

The way that you use different perspectives to tell the story of the siege works well and, as Caillagh said, your images are brilliant, I especially like the last one.

Thanks Alwyn and Caillagh^^ Gotta try out something new from time to time!

Chapter III Part VIII - Rache!

A man in his thirties stepped out of the small coach and instantly had to shade his eyes from the bright winter sun. He could see the sparkling water of the adriatic sea and the harbor of the city. Dockworker loaded the ships with barrels of gunpowder, cannons and ammunition. Creaking of wood, flapping of sails and indicent shouts reached the man's ears. Fifteen ships bobbed up and down on the water in the haven.

The man slowly promenaded, carefully observing surroundings his to the piers and greeted a nifty dressed gentleman, who stood in midst of working sailors.

"Ah Mister Fragoni! I have already awaited your arrival", greeted the gentleman smiling the big, rather skinny italian man who walked to him.

"Greetings Fleuten. An incident occured, which consummed a lot of time, the roads are getting less and less safe. Frenchmen, pah! Is this the fleet", asked Fabricco Fragoni.

"Yes, magnificent isn't it? It has been anchoring here for several years without seeing action. Took it so long to return?"

"Well, we had a rough time trying to cantact someone. The French control the adriatic sea and sending messaged through Venice is almost impossible. Anyway, when will the fleet be ready to debouch?"

"In about a week, not all of the ordered gunpowder arrived. This French army in the north is attacking the suppliers." Fleuten scrached his mustache and then said: "So, do you think it is possible to defeat them? Even with superior numbers-"

"Yes, it will be hard but I will not let them win again! Revenge will be mine!" Fabricco almost began to shout angrily, he did not forget what this French fleet did to his mentor in the battle for the adriatic sea.

Six days later debouched the fifteen ships to face the experienced French fleet, which controlled the adriatic sea for too long.

Battle at Gulf of Manfredonia

Strong South-east wind, thought Fabricco; His ships fare with the apparent wind. He looked through his telescope, only small points were visible, but his skilled eyes were able too see the might of the French. He would not allow his maiden battle to be disastrous.

The Austrians had three lines of ship, one to attack left, one to make the enemy 'cross the t' and one to attack left. Each of these lines was made of five ships.
    spoiler

The first contact with the enemy was made after an hour. The French 'Frettchen' opened fire on the first ship of the first line, the 'Luchs'. Most of the heavy iron balls missed their target and crashed into the clamsless see, leaving a big fountain. But those that hit whanged into the heavy vessel. Cracking wood and cries of chaos resounded under deck. Eventually, the ships got close enough to exchange musket shots. The clicking of pistols sounded like someone clapping hands, compared to the bangs of cannons, which resembled falling boulders. The Luchs steered to the right, and found itself separated from the rest of the line, now attacking the enemy's right side, but too many cannons aimed at the lone ship. Several volleys hit her starboard, one cannon ball hit the mast, which then fell with a creaking cringe-worthy sound and remained floating in the sea.

spoiler

"Sir", reported the man shouting from the look-out to Fabricco, "The Luchs has surrendered to the enemy! Our second line is now firing at the enemy, the french's last ship is under heavy fire but our first line is crumbling."

The admiral observed a battle between the 'Sirius' versus the 'Formidable', a corvette and the French Admiral's ship. Desperately tried the Sirius to shoot at the opponents prow but instead the two ships ended up moving in a cricle, like a carousel of death with bangs and smoke rather than carneval music. But this fight was umpromisingly, even with the help of the 'Salm' prevailed the Formidable over her opponents. In the end surrendered both, the Sirius and the Salm; Too many holes graced the ships' sides, too many men suffered agony. With these two ship out of the battle dissipated the first Austrian line.

spoiler

("La Formidable")

Fragoni had to watch this lugubrious spectacle through his telescope. He could not believe it, not a single French ship was even sightly demolished, even though they moved against the wind the whole time and were outnumbered!

The next two hours of the battle were relatively calm. The french reformed in a line and the austrians saved some castaways. The water between the two fleets was riddled with pieces of woods, even a whole mast and corpses, which floated ontop of the sea's surface.

After midday began the French line to slowly move towards the Austrian. Five ships of the Habsurgian Monarchy were in position to give broadsides - and they did so. Crashing wood and anxious screams reached Fabricco's ears, music for the admiral. Seemingly out of nowhere broke the third Austrian line into the French's formation shooting into all directions. For a short time ruled chaos and confusion. The Austrian 'Ancona' forced itself into the center of the opponent's formation and gave broadsides left and right. Despite being surrounded by three ship managed the Ancona to gain the upperhand for a long time until it had to flee, too many dead men covered the wooden, with debris bedecked, deck.
    spoiler

(A perfect line of fire for the austrians)

It's position was taken over by the 'Petrus' which now caused havoc between the French ships. Seven ships, two Austrian and five French were now fighting in a thick white smoke cloud, one could barely see silhouettes of the vessels. Suddenly a deafening bang! Red, orange and yellow mixed with black and white smoke. A cannon ball hit the gunpowder barrels of the 'Épave'. The crew of the burning brig tried to save themselves from the fire by jumping into the water. Slowly began the 'Épave' to descend to the dark ocean floor, taking some poor souls with it as well as the blazing flag. The pure white cloth, hanging on a pole in the stern, turned into a dirty black rag.
    spoiler

Seeing this, returned the 'Ancona' to the fight and unleashed a devastating volley into the Formidable. The already damaged corvette had to swallow even more iron, which signed it's death sentence. Through too many leaks inpured water below deck, and despite the desperate attempt of the crew to plug the holes began the ships's bow to sink into the ocean. Then broke in the middle as the stress on the wood was too strong. With a bluster crashed the rear into the water, water splashed into all directions, sailors were tossed into the air and waved threatened the surrounding vessels to overturn them. The once formidable French general's ship was crushed.
    spoiler

Seeing this pitifully sight broke the moral of the French. One after another surrender the ship to the Austians. The yearslong blockade was broken! Fabricco was victorious! But he could not enjoy his victory, he had wished to kill his opponent with his own hands, finaly getting revenge for his dead mentor.
    Now the French army, which fled from Vienna had nowhere to go except...

"We take all the ships we can and sail back to Zenj, another fleet is still close to Ragusa and I do not intend to face them with holey ships."

He had no time to cheer, there was still work to be done.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

That's a very dramatic battle, with a nice progression from the failed Austrian attack to their eventual victory. Some nice description, too - I liked that you noted the debris strewn across the deck of the Ancona. And your pictures just get better and better!

Thanks you Caillagh for your kind comment^^

Chapter III Part IX - Schlacht um München

October 1st, 1657

Now that my old age is taking away my memories of the past I began more and more to think about my early days, especially that battle.That battle thirty-three years ago. Back then, when I was so young, energetic, full of live and uneducated. That year, 1624, when I lost more than 'only' many friends.
    It was a snowy late-november morning when I woke up, with a weird, daunting feeling, as if I had known about my imminent fate. And this feeling didn't wear off while I marched to the parade ground, which every fit man had to go to, the past weeks. There the captain 'Vierauge' [Four-Eyes], we called him that because of his rediculous glasses, walked up and down the lines of man and chose some men, about forteen. Then he declared :
    "Every one of the chosen ones will be commanders of regiments, every regiment will have as many troops as possible. We depart in two days to meet the Austrian army."
    Dumbfounded looked we at each other faces. We all knew this day would come, but every morning we hoped it would be the day after. But now the day had come. For some reason we felt relieved after some time, now that we knew when and where, the fear disappeared - only to return on the day of departure. Each regiment was led by it's commander, ours was a complete meathead. It is no surprise, that soon we were the last group, giving us a reputation as slow laggards.

One morning Vierauge exclaimed: "We have made first encounters with the austrians, tomorrow will we fight them."
    Some men (well, most of them were mere boys) slumped down, it saddened me, as one of the older ones to see these young people holding the big guns, which were given to us. I walked to one of crying boys, sat down and said.
    "Why are you crying?"
    "Didn't you hear, we will have a battle. Nobody could defeat them", he answered sobbing.
    "This doesn't mean, that they can't be defeated. Remember, a strong heart and a waill for survival will bring you anywhere. Everything is achievable as long you have a reason to fight, right? - Good! This means you can survive and we can win!"
    These words made him feel better and he walked away. I felt bad, we as the militia were the meat shields; chances of leaving the field alive, let alone as victors, were small.

The next day I awoke with a taste of iron in my mouth. In my uperstition I believed, that it was be a bad sign.
    While forming lines I watched back; Munich was clearly visible. Every one's eyes was pointed at us; this didn't help against my nervousity.
    After a few minutes into battle, began the cannoniers to play their toys; heavy iron balls zipped though the air and landed chrashing in the ground, missing their targets by several meters. While we marched forward my heart began to beat faster and faster, soon it drowned the noises of my environment.

"Forward", shouted our commander, a mad brute, raising his pistol. He charged forward and so did we. We got under heavy fire, a wall of smoke built up only twenty meters in front of us and bullets began to fly past our ears. Many a man was hit and fell dead to the ground or welter in the snow. Suddenly we came to a halt. We were ordered to shoot and so did we. Aiming at the enemy I pulled the trigger and began to reload. I During this long and complicated process (I also had to restart several times, since I made some mistakes) got I aware of the many troops that fought in this battle. About three thousend men, I reckon, shot at each other. Smoke engulfed the small forest in the middle of the battlefield. I could see men standing between the trees and two or three of our regiments moving up into the woods in an attempempt to use the cold spruces as a cover from the flying past bullets. From my point of view, it looked like one could barely breath in the think smoke-covered wood.
    From the corner of my eyes, I detected a movement. Somwhat fifty meters away from my position stood our cannon idle, the terrain was not in our advantage. Nonetheless wouldn't this safe them from being attacked. About a hundred cuirassiers careered at them at an unbelievable speed, never have I seen horses as fast as the ones of these cuirassiers. Before overruning the connoniers shot the murderous men on their august and strong steeds. Needless to say, that none of the artillerist survived -poor Jakob, I will never forget you- .

Even I, an uneducated stupid cobbler, new that the battle was lost. And the fact, that the Austrian halberds and pikes moved into the battle, despite being under heavy fire while dong so (which supports my theory, that every soldier is a madman), didn't help us. None of our men held up against the 'Landsknechte'. Soon, or deads would litter the ground.

I was one of the smart ones who ran before it was too late. I ran away from the battle, did the words I told the young boy the day before even mean anything? I ran from the battle and I ran from Munich. I never returned, left my family alone. My parents, wife and the two girls, how could I meet them ever again, after this shame I brought upon my family! I fled to Antwerpen, managed to earn some money and invested into a trading company. Now I am a well-situated merchant. It wasn't until ten years ago, that I would find out that almost no Munich survived. How many friends have I lost that day? I can not remember and one day I'll probably loose all my memories of them and of that battle. The only reminder I have is my almost-deafness.

Default Re: A.E.I.O.U.

Chapter III Part X . I - Planung

"Now that we have Munich, why shouldn't we", answered Ferdinand Maria-Steinhart von Österreich-Tschechen Kornbluth's question with a counterquestion.
    "What do we have to fear", continued the Lord of Military while pointing at the map, hanging on the wall, "We don't have to fear an attack from the east -the treaty with the Cologne ensured that- and if we march now southwards we can encircle them! This is an one-time opportunity."

"Yes, it may be", Erich von Kornbluth stood up from his small chair, adjusted his ruff and walked towards the map, "but this might result in an uprising in Bavaria. I think I don't have to remind you what the last rebellion did to our economy - "
    Ferdinand clenched his fist, he knew to well...
    " - and we can not risk another one, especially now. And -"

"But, ", chimmed in Joachin-Christian Albrecht von Starhemberg, who was sitting in his chair and looking at the map, " but, if we lower the taxes in this region, we could prevent this."

"But we cannot afford this! You, as the Lord Treasurer, should know that."

"Let that be the least of your worries, I will handle this."

Von Starhemberg had this smuggish expression on his perfect, beardless face, surrounded by golden curls, that Von Kornbluth hated. In fact, he never like the Lord Treasurer, especially his attitude; he always was too improvident.
    The Lord of Military cough, while walking to the bookshelve opposite of the map, to remind the two of his presence. He felt the tension, the two never were able to agree and he did not want to listen to another hour-long argument.

"I would suggest to table this to the tomorrow, - it is late and the day was long."

"Von Österreich-Tschechen is right, isn't he?"

The Lord of Treasurer nodded.

"But ", launched Von Kornbluth, as he saw Starhemberg turning around, "there is still one thing to discuss. It involves Friedrich von Mannenburg. It appears, that his presence at the court is uttermost disruptive. Furthermore, he started to investigate something, I don't know what, but I am sure it is not in our favor. The house of Manneburg has always been an alien to the Monarchy. And now, that he recruited 'The Wardens' he could be potentionally dangerous. I think we all know that we have to do, hm?"

The First Lord could see approval in the faces of his co-conspirators.
    He left the room, he did not want discuss anything anymore. For today, he thought.

"So, ", said Von Österreich-Tschechen, breaking the silence, " we will implement everything according to the plan, right?"

Starhemberg agreed.
    He walked to the table in the corner of the room, opened a drawer and took out two long, brown, flintlock pistols. He gave The Lord of Military one and hid the other under his doublet, right next to a long, antique lett. Von Österreich-Tschechen emulated this.

Together left the two men the room, stepped outside of the building and walked to the garden. It was still warm, despite the late hour. The first stars began to appear on the firmament. Tonight, stars will witness your blood, remembered Starhemberg a line from a poem he once read.

Great chapters! I agree with Caillagh, the images of the sea battle are especially good, particularly the ones which show what happened to the Épave. Poor Jakob, indeed - that cavalry charge by cuirassiers sounds terrifying. I wonder if Friedrich von Mannenburg will survive this night.

Thanks Alwyn^^ Who knows

Chapter III Part X . II - Abrechnung

The wooden soles clicked loudly on the cobble stone street. A man in his late forties, was running as fast as his fat, untrained legs could carry him. His normally pale face turned red from the effort.

He managed to get away from his pursuers only because he knew the streets better than the back of his hands. He hid between three barrels, which stood in the darkest corner of a well hidden ginnel. Greedy, yet silent, inhaled the man the sommernight's sweltry air. He grabbed a long dagger, which hung on his belt, with shivering hands and looked at it. He could see his dark eyes, thick eyebrows and uneven nose in the reflection of the polished blade. He knew, that this decorative weapon was useless in a real fight, but what better options had he?

He could still hear voices of men nearby, was it his guard or the men after him? After some while was the absconder brave enough to leave his hideout and take a look at the streets. The narrow streets were empty, only a stray dog scurried around, but didn't care for the man. The man walked as quiet as he could to the end of the street, confident, that he was safe, arriving at the square in front of St. Stephens Cathedral.
    The moon was hidden behind the high tower, leaving the man in it's shadow.

"Hey, you! Watcha doing there", shouted someone.

A hand grabbed the man's shoulder and turned him violently around.

"Oh my apologies, Sir", said the guy, who shouted, as he saw who he had just touched.

"How, dare you! But I will forgive you, if you bring me home safe, a murderer is after me and want to kill me", screamed Erich von Kornbluth, in order to hide his nervousness.

The guard bowed down, raised his halberd into the sky and commanded the men behind him: "Every one. be careful! Someone is here, They might have a weapon. Do not hesitate and ki-"

"No", shouted The First Lord, "Capture him alive! I want to question this man."

Being in company of seven guards made him feel safe and he regained his derogative posture. Suddenly, just as he wanted to start walking, a bang! It echoed over the whole square. The bullet almost hit one of the guards.
    A man with a pistol stood under an archway of the cathedral, the shadows hid him, only the white, in the moon light glowing, smoke revealed his position. The guards shouted and ran to the man, who now fled into one of the streets - and the guards followed him. Kornbluth was, again, alone. The wide square seemed even more dangerous than usual, especially with the scent of gunpowder. Kornbluth knew he had to get away. The cathedral! , he thought it, since he had the key, he could just lock it from inside.

It was dark inside, except from a few bright, by moonlight lighted places. Kornbluth's steps echoed through the building as he walked to front row of the benches, faced the apsis. He kneed down in front of it an began to fold his hands. As a true christian, who might die he new he had to repent. He recited the rosary ten times and started another one, when something ticktacked behind him.

"Ohoo, I see, a true christian", said a voice behind him whimsical.

Kornbluth jumped on his feet and turned around startled. In front of him, about five feet away stood a guy covered in shadows. He pointed a gun at the First Lord.

"Who - wait - how did you get in this building?"

"I have my ways."

The stranger stepped forward, into a flare of moonlight. Like the dark curtain of a magician, revealed the shadows a bif surprise; a face which Erich von Kornbluth never thought he would ever see again.

"Friedrich von Mannenburg ‽ Wai- what?"

Friedrich laughed lunatic.
    "You should see your face! This dumbstruck expression, your confusion."
    His body shook with laugher. Then, suddenly, he stopped and talked in a serious tone.
    "Do you know how long I have tried to finally meet the one who killed my parents, because they knew too much, eh? How many people I accused of it and killed, just to find out that they were innocent? Ha but now I am sure, this time I will get the real killer."

Friedrich walked a step closer and aimed with the gun at the First Lords head.

"Wait", cried Kornbluth desperately. The word echoed through the buildings.
    " - how do you know it is me. Why - why should I kill your parents? What reason could I have."

"Oh that was easy. I had some help." Von Mannenburg put his head back and shouted "Come out, come out. No need for hiding!"

A person appeared seemingly out of nowhere behind the First Lord.

"Just shut up you bigot."
    These words, spoken in a lordly way, belonged to a face, framed with golden curls, which Kornluth never liked. This arrogant expression on the beardless perfect face; he hated it!

"Lord Von Starhemberg", snarled Konrbluth.

"Oh, First Lord, what precarious situation you have tangled yourself in."

The fact, that the Lord Treasurer said this with a annoyingly sarcastic voice and that he held a gun in his right hand aiming at Kornbluth, while walking down the steps of the altar made the First Lord even angrier.

"You little - . Why? What possible grudge could you hold against me to stand here in front of me with a pistol?"

"What grudge? Nothing personal. Frankly, I never liked you but not enough to would what you dead, however I have a reason."

"What reason might that be?"

"Oh that's simple - " Kornbluth winced, he was scared by the coldness of Starhemberg's voice.
    " - You forfeited your right to exist by acting against the behalf of the Monarchy."

"What are you saying‽ When have I ever done something against the favour of our great empire?"

"Everything you did the last few years. Every plan you forged, every plot you devised, every person you had assassinated was only for your own avail. This is the reason why the Lord of Military and I decided to eliminate you. Everything, that happened this night was planned, every person only a hired actor and this building is the stage - the stage for your execution."

"But you did rule with me together!"

"Yes, but everything I did was for the Monarchy. The previous emperor was weak-willed and stupid and I had to find out that the current one is just as incapable of ruling.

"But - you can't just-. Then what does he play in this play?"
    The First Lord pointed with his chin at Von Mannenburg, who now stood right of him.

"Well, I knew that he had a reason to come to this court and that he wanted to investigate the murder of his parents -I knew he suspected you-. So we decided to integrate him and -"

"Ahh stop it already! Can we finally kill him." Friedrich jumped impatiently from one foot to another and clutched his gun with both hands.

"Right we should hurry. Von Österreich-Tschechen must be waiting by now."

Both men with the guns stepped closer to their prey and aimed at it's body.

"Wait - say Von Mannenburg, what do you want? Lands? Money? Women? And you Starhemberg?"

"I just want to kill you." Said both men at the same time.

"But - ! Screw you, both! Screw you Albrecht, you treacherous bastard and you, Friedrich and your devilish daughter and your pare-"

Two pistols shot. Erich von Kornbluth's right lung was penetrated by one bullet from the behind, another one hit his stomach. He landed with his back on the cold cathedral's floor, his head hit the stone severely. The First Lord looked into Starhembergs face, a face he always hated, while he sighted out his soul.

Notes

St. Stephen's Cathedrale (1147) is one of the oldest buildings in Vienna (also one of the tallest). In many depictions of the city through the centuries is the cathedrale is quiet dashy.

A precarious situation, indeed - and a big surprise. Even if the emperor is weak, it seems that he has some very determined people working for him. I like your use of a historical location, with the reference to St Stephen's Cathedral. Nicely done!

Great Read this.

Thanks IndieBlue and Alwyn^^ - Even weak rulers can be strong with good ministers

Chapter III Part XI - Das Treffen 'zum Zweiten'

Florian Frey's army arrived only a few days ago in Vienna and and shortly after flooded his men the taverns and brothels of the city. The usual calm city was hit by a wave of unrest. First the siege, then the death of the First Lord and now the troublemaking soldiers. Brawlings on the streets and other scandals were a daily occurrence by now. But no one dared to say anything, those who did were found dead. The citizens new, that these marplots were the only thing between them and the French army in Triest and until this army was defeated, had the citizens to endure this burden. No one, but Florian Frey himself knew when they will leave to meet the enemy.

The tavern was full, men were drinking, playing games, brawling and some were reading the newspaper given out by the innkeeper.

"Has been a long time, hasn't it." Matthias looked in the eyes of his old friend.

"Yes, about thirteen years by now", answered Friedrich Von Manneburg. He too was looking in his friend's eyes.

Both were sitting at a table, close to the exit. On the table were two mugs. When they first saw each other, they could not help it, but to notice the many changes in the other's face.
    Matthias looked old, wrinkles covered his face and a rumpled brunette-grey beard grew here and there. His scar on his left cheek was even uglier, than ever.
    Friedrich, however, was a likeness of trimness and youth. A short goatee and his smooth skin hid his age well. Only his eyes have changed. Matthias thought, that his friend's eyes looked more serious, almost like scarred by something.

"So,", began Friedrich, " what has occurred in your, presumedly, eventful life?"

"A soldier's life isn't as eventful as you might think. Lot of walking, training and hungering. You know, the common man's problem."

"But the fact that you are residing in a house inside the city, means that you have been doing well1. At least in your general's eyes."

"Ah, that", Matthias smiled, " I am a cuirassier now. In fact, I am in Frey's bodyguard."

"Really‽ Congratulations. I knew you would be a man in the high ranks some day!" Friedrich slapped his friend on the back, almost spilling the beer on the table.

"Heh, thanks. And you? Quiet the shocking things happened. Are you not afraid to be in this city?"

"No no. Absolutely not. A minor noble like me won't be attacked, by these murderous swines. Remember, all of them were really powerful men. I am just one of the small frys. And they will be caught soon, the emperors guard is investigating the case. Anyway, how is Richard?"

"Doing good. Strong boy - and smart. I intend to ask Frey, if he could put Richard in a safe position - far away from the battlefield. Maybe as a scribe, since he has learned reading and writing faster than most I know. A - And how is she?"

"Isabella? Is doing good. Her - your eyes are sometimes getting in her way - socially and practically. A-"

"-What do you mean with practically?"

"Hey, hey you are spilling all the beer! Well, what I meant was, that she is - myopic. But that is not a problem; I know a man, who is a genius with glasses and he made some for here. She can read and write smoothly with it. I intend to marry her to a petty Bavarian noble man and from there on she won't have any problems."

"Good, good. Nice to hear, that everything is alright. At least one person in the family is growing up without fearing the starve, hehe."

Matthias downed the remaining beer in his mug in one slurp and smashed the heavy tin container on the table.

"Anyway", he shouted, " Who wants to pick up a fight? We're leaving in two days and I haven't beaten up every fighter in this city!"

Notes:
    1 At that time it was usual, that the cavalry and more elity troops would reside inside a city, town etc., whilst the normal soldiers had to sleep in tents outside of the inhabitet areas. (So the fact, that Matthias was living in a house inside of Vienna means, that he is not a normal soldier) Source: 'Dairy of Peter Hagendorf - Dairy of a mercenary of the thirty years war'

Chapter III Part XII.I - Schlacht bei Lipicia

April , 1625; The French invasion army, commanded by Arnaud Montague, found themself to be encircled by the Florian Frey's army in the town of Lipicia, a town not even a day's march away from Triest. Despite several negotiations was no side willing to withdraw; a battle was unavaoidable. Thus on the 25th of the same month, a wet, cold and windy day, began at eigth a.m. the battle of Lipicia:

The patter rang hollow in Matthias' armour, water entered it through it's gabs and ran down his back. After already only a few minutes was he, as well as his gambeson, drenched. His horse did not like the heavy weigh and tried several times to throw him of, but Matthias managed to keep his balance.

"Ah, I hate rain", said Drieux, who sat on his horse. Through his visor was his wet faces visible. His long hair clung on his face.

"Hmpf, hating it won't make it go away."

"But maybe if I shoot it, haha."

Matthias didn't feel like laughing. He tried to concentrate and see something through the rain. He recognised something that could be the yellow-black Habsburgian flag and silhouetted of soldiers, but he was not able to see anything beyond their own lines. But he could hear his cannons firing. Our artillery crew consists of eagles, I guess. He could not understand how someone would be able to aim at something, through the rain.
    Matthias rode through the ranks of his unit to calm his horse down . He reached the general and said:

"Sir, we might have to attack another time. Under these conditions is fighting a battle absolutely unreasonable!"

"No! We wait, it will get better, I know it."

"But, ho-"

"I said, we wait! Now get back to your position."

The austrians had to stand in the downpour, which didn't stoop until noon. A unit of French cavalry which attacked -driven by impatience- the austrian left flank, was absolutely obliterated. Matthias saw this charge from his higher position. Madmen and mad horses, shiny and panting, appeared out of a small forest, charging at a wall of smoke and lead. Only one survived the first volley. He did not stop, nor did he look back to his dying and screaming comrades, but clapped spurs to his horse. A bullet crushed his head, just before he reached the enemy line, his horse meeting the same fate. The moans of the survivors and madding neighing of the wounded horses were drowned in the splashing rain, but those who did hear them, did not care, since the order to advance was given.

The French pikemen marched out of the town, the common folk watching this spectacle, and walked towards the advancing Habsburgian.
    Just as Frey planned!
    The attacker's cannonier play with their cannons1; canister shots teared through the lines, leaving dead or half-dead men on the ground. Nontheless did the French not stop and engaged the Austrian pikemen. Matthias saw the short and uneven battle; after a few minutes covered many french in shiny-wet armour the ground.

Confident, that the battle was decided gave Frey the order to storm the town. The austrians found the town empty, except from the inhabitants.

"Sir this might be a trap", said Drieux to his general.

"I know. De Drieux, order the third tercio to comb the surrounding forest. Men, we ride to the right, meet with Hauengruber's unit!"

Something was off, Matthias knew it. The last time he felt that way was in his first battle. He carefully watched the trees, as he followed Frey around the forest. Then he heard it. Confused shouts, screams and clashing steel. The French hid in the forest! From the looks, he knew that Frey realised that too. He probably even was sure of the that beforehand. Then why did he send only one tercio leaving the others in the city?

"Turn around! Enemies!"

Several paces in front of the cuirassiers stood a unit of swiss pikemen. The most elite mercenaries were kept in reserve! Then he heard gunshots! Arnaud Montague and his guards dashed into the cuirassier's side. Matthias tried to grab his gun, but his horse rear up. He landed on his back. His cuirass was covered in mud and he had problems standing up; the ground seemed to swallow him. With only his rapier tried he to defend himself against the men on the horses. For some reason, Matthias didn't know why, heard he a gun shooting, louder than the muskets in the forests of the other guns from the French and the cuirassiers. He could see his general falling. Florian Frey landed on the ground and lay in the middle of tumult of the battle as if he slept. Blood ran out of a hole in his neck.
    Crab!
    Then he felt a burning pain in his left shoulder.

Notes:
    1 To play with cannons, was during the late 30 years war, an idiom meaning to shoot with cannons. It shows pretty well the brutalisation due to war.
    Last edited by theSilentKiller; May 14, 2016 at 02:38 PM.

Good chapter, with artistic images and with nice use of historical language (I think you are right, people historically did write about 'playing upon the enemy' with cannon or muskets). I hope that Mattias will survive this dangerous situation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast