Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Update: 16/12/15] Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

Icon6 [Update: 16/12/15] Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

Faction Description:

"Imperium Romanorum. Basileia Rhomaion. The Roman Empire. Two centuries ago, the dream of a unified Roman state was nearly achieved: Justinian and his general, Belisarius and to be joined by Narses, fought a series of wars first against the Sassanian Empire in Armenia and Mesopotamia, then the Vandalic Kingdom in Africa and finally against the Ostrogothic Kingdom on the Apennine Peninsula. As a consequence of these wars, Roman rule extended from Constantinople in the east to Hispania in the west and, once again, the Mediterranean Sea could be called Mare Nostrum. Almost. While this bought great prestige to Justinian, it was not to last: Imperial resources were almost spent and the centralised infrastructure of Italia and Magna Graecia was all but destroyed, the Franks were able to fill the power vacuum in northern Europe and the Sassanian Empire to the east was almost unchecked, allowing them to grow in strength.

This great conflict came to a head and, in the previous century, both empires, exhausted from the final Persian War, could do little to check the emergence of a new and explosive force: the Arabian Empire. By the end of the 7th century, Egypt, Libya, Syria, Mesopotamia and Persia had fallen. More shocking still, they had completely overthrown the Sassanian Empire and had laid siege to Constantinople itself.

To the west, the Emirate of Cordoba controls much of the former Imperial province of Hispania. Having usurped control of Africa, they formed the vanguard of a Muslim offensive that, at it's greatest extent, reached Narbonensis in the east and Tours in the north. They, like you, are all that remains of an empire in the western Mediterranean. The Umayyad Caliphate may be no more, but unshackled from the Arabian homeland, they will still prove to be powerful enemies. In pushing the Arabs back into Africa, you will gain friends amongst the Visigothic dynasty that rules the Kingdom of Asturias and, when the time comes, should prove a strong ally against the Franks.

Control over the Apennine Peninsula has been wrestled from the Romans once again. To the north, the Lombards have all but conquered the Exarchate of Ravenna. In the former Imperial heartland, Rome itself works against you: the Papal State is the head of an informal Christian empire spanning northern Hispania, through Gaul and into Lombardy. With the backing of the Francian Karling Dynasty, they grow bolder and this informal union threatens to blossom into a unified state: one that will challenge Constantinople for the title of Roman Emperor.

As Strategos of the Thema Sikelias you must not allow this to happen. With Imperial forces engaged in the Balkans against the Bulgarian Empire and the Avars, and in Anatolia against the Abbasid Caliphate, the Thema Sikelias is all that stands in the way of a future where the the authority and legitimacy of the true King of Kings and Autocrat of the Romans is lost forever.."

Hey guys.

As the title says: the Roman Empire is now playable in Campaign and Custom Battle. I've tried to be as authentic as possible with the naming conventions, but there is still work to be done. It will allow you to play as Basileia Rhomaion, originally being the Theme of Sicily. Apart from the name change you can also expect to see some diplomatic, unit, political party changes. And there will be even more changes in future!

WIP Faction Leader, Officers etc:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Unit Reskins:

Changelog:
    • Faction Name: Basileia Rhomaion
    • Dynasty/Political Party: Thema Sikelias
    • Faction Trait: Iconoclasm (-60 diplomacy with Christians, +20 research, -50 religious building costs)
    • Diplomatic Change: Venice is a Vassal, not Defensive Ally.
    • Frontend Faction Leader - Done
    • Frontend Map - Done
    • Faction Flags, courtesy of ep1c_fail
    • Reskin by Snori, with Generals and Officers by The Iron Chancellor

• Army:
    • Skirmishers - Acontistae
    • Levy Spears - Akritae
    • Iuvenes - Castrophilakae
    • Light Cavalry - Cavalarii
    • Scout Cavalry - Ippoakritae
    • Onager - Lithobolos
    • Large Onager - Lithobolos Megas
    • Bastion Onager - Lithobolos (Bastion)
    • Skoutatoi Axemen - Skoutati Tsekouroi
    • Skoutatoi Spears - Skoutati
    • Skoutatoi Swords - Spathati
    • Dux's Guard (General) - Spatharios ton Strategos
    • Tagmata Cavalry - Stratiotae
    • Archers - Toxotae
    • Armourd Archers - Toxotae (Armoured)

• Navy:
    • Levy Marines - Acontistae (Marines)
    • Skoutatoi Marines - Spathati (Marines)
    • Roman Artillery Crew - Lithobolos (Vessel)
    • Archer Boatmen - Toxotae (Marines)
    • Guard Marines (Admiral) - Spatharios ton Strategos (Admiral)

• Known issues:
    • Currently, there aren't any chapter objectives.
    • Faction colours aren't mapped to the front-end faction leader

Download Link:
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=573063202
    Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0l...fx8g/AOCBR.rar
    Last edited by The Iron Chancellor; December 16, 2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Formatting, Image Insertion and Screenshots.
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Default Re: Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion V.080 (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

Great work. Unstable build in politics sounds risky. I want to jump in because it has the best faction icon in the game, before it's changed to the Roman Empire's, but I don't want it to crash. Perhaps a choice between the two emblems? +Rep
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Default Re: Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion V.080 (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

can you create it for the main campaign?

Thank you, Lugotrix. I've got it fixed - I simply left out a table in the startpos when enabling the faction! I'm currently expanding the roster: all DB tables are done, I'm just faffing about in the variant editor. If you can hang on, the new version will be up either tonight or tomorrow.

@alejandromachine: Do you mean an overhaul of the ERE?
    - Cyrus the Great

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Great work buddy!!

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Is it somehow "stable" now?
    Cant believe you made it: a byzantine empire for Charlemagne! Awesome work!

The version currently uploaded is still unstable, but I have fixed the problem. As soon as I've provided some rudimentary textures for the additional units, I'll upload it.
    - Cyrus the Great

Its very promising, Keep up
    Especial the part of "To Do List"

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Thank you!!

Default Re: Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion V.090 (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

Thank you for the support!

Update:

• Politics is now fixed. The game will not crash and faction politics is fully functional.
    • Political Party names are now visible.
    • Faction emblem created especially by ep1c_fail
    • Custom faction trait: "Renevatio Imperii"

Next update will include a roster expansion and rework. I'll also include an option for the original emblem.

After that, I'll focus on a faction introduction, chapter objectives and final victory conditions. As that will take a long time (for me, haha) I'll see if I can throw a custom faction leader and generals in between.

Once those are done, it'll just be the tech tree and buildings that I'll alter.

If you catch any bugs, please report them. Enjoy!
    Last edited by The Iron Chancellor; December 14, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
    - Cyrus the Great

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Re: Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion V.090 (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

Im sure it's been asked before somewhere, but are you planning a version compatible with Radious?
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

You're doing the lord's work.
    Eagerly awaiting next update.
    "You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain."

I've reworked the faction trait and I'm currently working on a new faction leader and generals. For a sneak peak of the WIPs click below:

Strategos (faction leader):

Doux (General):

Doux/Officer:

Not sure:

New Faction Trait:
    Last edited by The Iron Chancellor; December 15, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
    - Cyrus the Great

Exceptionally good work.
    Although I am feeling the imperial diadem on the faction leader is a little over the top.
    A strategos was above all a military governor, so a roman helmet would be more suitable?

If you could add a roman scarf around his neck it would look similar to this picture:

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain."

A-WE-SO-ME!

I cant wait to see more updates, I think I'll try my first campaign when you'll have finished to update the roster (it will suffice for me, chapters is just a cherry on the cake imho)

To echo what was said above: the Stratigos was the general/governor in charge of the Thema. As the faction here is the Thema of Sicily it makes sense to have the leader called "stratigos", though it depends what you want to represent: only the thema or the whole empire, in that case maybe the leader could be directly the emperor? (a real question, I dont know myself)

Nice work! AoC is quickly getting really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakanade View Post
    Exceptionally good work.
    Although I am feeling the imperial diadem on the faction leader is a little over the top.
    A strategos was above all a military governor, so a roman helmet would be more suitable?

If you could add a roman scarf around his neck it would look similar to this picture: - snip-
    On reflection, I agree. Initially, I'd considered creating an Emperor for the front-end faction leader image, but really, you are right - the diadem is definitely over the top!

Quote Originally Posted by Otosan View Post
    A-WE-SO-ME!

I cant wait to see more updates, I think I'll try my first campaign when you'll have finished to update the roster (it will suffice for me, chapters is just a cherry on the cake imho)

To echo what was said above: the Stratigos was the general/governor in charge of the Thema. As the faction here is the Thema of Sicily it makes sense to have the leader called "stratigos", though it depends what you want to represent: only the thema or the whole empire, in that case maybe the leader could be directly the emperor? (a real question, I dont know myself)
    First off, thank you! Secondly: I'm now going with the former; I'd toyed with the idea of making the Emperor appear on the selection screen, with the faction leader being different (as is currently the case), but you two are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves In The Throne Room View Post
    Nice work! AoC is quickly getting really good.
    Thank you!

And now for something completely different:

Generals or officers? I'm not sure.
    - Cyrus the Great

Update:
    Unit reskin by Snori
    New Generals, Officers and Faction Leader by me
    New Faction Trait
    New faction description
    Multiplayer campaign

Unit Reskins:

Download links updated:
    Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0l...fx8g/AOCBR.rar
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=573063202
    Last edited by The Iron Chancellor; December 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM.
    - Cyrus the Great

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: [Update: 16/12/15] Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

Any plans to include the varangian guard?

Its a bit later, but could still work as an ultimate late game shock infantry unit.

The earliest members of the Varangian guard came from Kievan Rus'. A treaty between Rus' and the Byzantine empire under Michael III was agreed in 874 after a period of hostilities. A clause in the treaty obliged Rus' to provide men for Byzantine service. Renewed hostilities between 907 and 911 ended with a new treaty under which any Rus' who chose could serve Byzantium as a right.[8]
    Although the real guard was not established until later, it would add some real power and flavor to the Byzantines, given that the 2h huskarl units shred everything in Age of Charlemagne.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 16, 2015 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: [Update: 16/12/15] Age of Charlemagne: Basileia Rhomaion (Playable in both Campaign and Custom Battle)

This looks great!
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast