Thread: Suggestions to improve Governors & Generals

Default Suggestions to improve Governors & Generals

I've been playing this great mod for a few days now as Gondor and I feel like there is not enough incentive to keep governors in settlements, and it makes the game less strategic.

As it is now, due to the high upkeep (and the fact that you cannot disband them) I find it best to grab all the generals from the settlements and use them as troops. They are strong troops that regenerate their numbers quickly, and they make the early game too easy. If I keep them as governors, the game is too hard.

I like the idea of having governors and generals as separate talents so i'd like to make some changes, if it is possible to mod them:

1) Make the Governors of the settlements get free upkeep.
    2) Make Generals regenerate at a slower rate.

or
    1) Make 2 distinct classes, a Governor type which is a low upkeep and weak troop, and a General type which is high upkeep and strong.
    2) Either randomly or alternatively get the option to recruit one each turn.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Suggestions to improve Governors & Generals

Quote Originally Posted by gggtw View Post
    I've been playing this great mod for a few days now as Gondor and I feel like there is not enough incentive to keep governors in settlements, and it makes the game less strategic.
    Oh really? Turn 150 - a good and trained governor in Pelargir, large city by then. Move him out and you have to lower taxes from "high" to "low", still lose population at -0,5%. And you lose a whooping 2,000 in income. Per turn. Minimum. For one city.

There is a extremely useful thread somewhere - look it up under the guides thread - how to properly train governors. Do it and come back after you have experienced the difference between a good governor, a bad governor and no governor yourself.

A governor with Great Builder, Benevolent Ruler, Serves Justice, Master Trader, Mathematician is priceless in a developed port city. And it is totally up to you to get him there.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Quote Originally Posted by gggtw View Post
    1) Make 2 distinct classes, a Governor type which is a low upkeep and weak troop, and a General type which is high upkeep and strong.
    2) Either randomly or alternatively get the option to recruit one each turn.

What do you guys think?
    Good luck with option 1, unless you make some pre-arranged units with a small bodyguard (lower upkeep) and fitted for governor style.

For option 2, well it already exists. The game always asks if you want to recruit a new general once you start expanding and conquering new settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorHa View Post
    Oh really? Turn 150 - a good and trained governor in Pelargir, large city by then. Move him out and you have to lower taxes from "high" to "low", still lose population at -0,5%. And you lose a whooping 2,000 in income. Per turn. Minimum. For one city.

There is a extremely useful thread somewhere - look it up under the guides thread - how to properly train governors. Do it and come back after you have experienced the difference between a good governor, a bad governor and no governor yourself.

A governor with Great Builder, Benevolent Ruler, Serves Justice, Master Trader, Mathematician is priceless in a developed port city. And it is totally up to you to get him there.

Regards,
    Thorsten
    Yes I am aware that late game governors can be good in bigger cities.

I guess what I'm getting at is that stylistically I like the thought of governors bringing real advantages in all settlements even if they are tiny, so it becomes a strategic decision whether to use them in battle or keep them in the towns to save money/keep the population under control.

As it is now, it feels like I am being punished for keeping governors. They are also too strong in battle because they regenerate so they can be used as fodder and that results in very little logistics needed to retrain troops.

In the early game I can just roll over everyone with this OP army composition, which doesn't feel nice. I'd prefer only fielding 1 general and desperately mustering up militia, but the game punishes you for going that route.

Yes I am aware that late game governors are great for bigger cities.

However, I like the thought of governors being useful for all settlements, even in the early game. The issue I face now is that I can easily gather up all my generals and roll over everyone, and the game doesn't punish me for this, in fact it punishes me if I leave my generals idle.

This early game stomp is overpowered and due to their regeneration, they are used as fodder so you require no logistics to retrain troops either. In the early game, I'd much rather have to make tough strategic decisions on whether to use a general as a governor or in battle, and I'd rather field 1 general and desperately have to muster up militia for my army. As it is now, its a no brainer to abuse the generals and it limits strategic and logistical decisions.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I see where you're coming from, yet I think you miss an essential part, and that is that TATW's settlement development, i.e. economical system, is set up to be hard. There in lies a key challenge of the game; improving governor impact would thus make the campaigns easier, not more challenging.

BGs auto-replenishment is hard coded and can't be changed, and new generals always get the default faction-BG when they mature/are adopted. And while you could make a BG switcher mod (such as Withwnar's) that will would have a most limited impact, such as saving a few bucks on upkeep (while general wage would still apply). Still, even if it could all be done, TATW has not been in development for years, so no change of it would come.

I long ago found it became to easy in vanilla TATW when I put multiple generals in an army: so I quit doing it, and always choses to avoid adoptions to not have pointless generals, and thus chose to have more fun. To be disappointed over that you do something neither the game nor anyone else force you to do, that just makes the game less fun for you, and then to request someone to hinder you, is quite excessive. Some do need it, some think it's fun, and for all else it's completly optional to avoid.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

thanks for the responses, I've found a good solution to it using Withwnar's executioner to kill off most of the generals on turn 1 and now the game plays much better to my liking

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Bueno; the world of total war is filled with mods, opportunities and cold, brutal death to entertain the players

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory