Thread: Heavy cavalry against trolls

Default Heavy cavalry against trolls

I had to fight a battle that I dislike most as an Elven player (due to unavoidable losses) - a full Mordor stack with 2 troll units, 3 troll catapults and 3 ballistae with me as the attacker unfortunately.

So I set up a specific HE stack for the task - all archers and 4 heavy cavalry (Eldar lancers) plus General. While the archers made short work of the 2 troll units and had no problem (0 losses) with all the other units anyway, the cavalry circled around and charged the siege units. While I made sure to withdraw the cavalry and repeat the charges, sometimes melee could not be avoided due to my attention being elsewhere etc.

But I found the result pretty astonishing - in fact without the intervention of any archer unit the 5 cav units annihilated the 3 troll catapult units alone (the ballistae as well, but that was expected). With low to moderate losses, about 35 figures of the 193 involved (42 Eldar lancers each and the general with 25).

I just want to know if the Eldar lancers are that much exceptional or if I could repeat such an attack successfully with heavy cavalry from other factions as well? If so, which ones would be comparable?

Regards,
    Thorsten

Default Re: Heavy cavalry against trolls

Actually the trolls in the Troll Catapult unit aren't as strong as even mountain or cave trolls.

I'm not even sure if they have more than 2 hitpoints, but you could always check the unit files to see their stats.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Actually the trolls in the Troll Catapult unit aren't as strong as even mountain or cave trolls.

I'm not even sure if they have more than 2 hitpoints, but you could always check the unit files to see their stats.
    Hongas Royal Military Academy says 5 hitpoints? But thanks for the answer.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Don't know really how many hitpoints but for sure they are very much weaker.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

indeed they are weaker; I remember battles in which I could take off 1 unit of troll catapult with only one unit of Westfold riders (armed with AP axes, medium stats)

I forgot to mention I'm relating to submods, so maybe it's not so in the Vanilla TATW
    Last edited by Flinn; December 14, 2015 at 07:49 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    indeed they are weaker; I remember battles in which I could take off 1 unit of troll catapult with only one unit of Westfold riders (armed with AP axes, medium stats)

I forgot to mention I'm relating to submods, so maybe it's not so in the Vanilla TATW
    Anyway, thanks for the answers :-). I don´t know how often I avoided attacks on such stacks in the couse of my games - but it was quite often. So I found a pretty easy solution for that years old problem.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Even the stronger trolls perform pretty poorly against cavalry charges. Their spread formation allows the cavalry to envelop them and roll many hit chances. Especially from the rear since trolls rely so much on the defense stat.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Echoing everyone else, yeah, the catapult trolls aren't up to snuff when compared to the cave and mountain trolls, and certainly are not on the same level as the Olog-hai. Your cavalry would have taken much greater losses. There are few cavalry units in Middle Earth that can charge and withstand the defensive measures of such trolls:

^ Your typical cave troll after decimating a hundred of your soldiers.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

The trolls by the catapult is slightly weaker in all regards to their 'infantry' counterparts [from TATW 3.2:
    Code:
    type             Mordor Catapult
    ... stat_pri_armour  6, 20, 0, flesh
    as seen (the order of the numbers is Armour, Defence and Shield):
    Code:
    type             Mountain Trolls
    ... stat_pri_armour  6, 23, 0, flesh

type             Battle Trolls (a.k.a Olog-Hai)
    ... stat_pri_armour  9, 27, 0, metal

type             Cave Trolls
    ... stat_pri_armour  7, 24, 0, flesh

type             Snow Trolls
    ... stat_pri_armour  8, 22, 0, flesh
    Also the Troll Catapult is slightly fewer in numbers, making them easier to take out.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    ^ Your typical cave troll after decimating a hundred of your soldiers.
    As a predominantly Elven player I am never mad at trolls. I only see them in the form of dead, arrow riddled, corpses littered througout the battlefield :-).

As an aside - even in the worst case (a full Olog Hai unit having reached my lines because I was careless) I never experienced ""100 dead". If you know your trade you can abuse the extreme spacing of a fleeing unit of which some elements still have to fight in those cases.

Regrads,
    Thorsten