Thread: Discussion about how likely/unlikely it is for ET aliens to use humans

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Discussion about how likely/unlikely it is for ET aliens to use humans

I have been thinking a bit on this, given part of my literary work touches upon sci-fi. I am of the view that it is less likely that IF aliens are here, they are directly interacting with humans (including deliberate abduction or other scientifically-tied actions).
    I think that mainly because:

1) Assuming the alien species is capable of some degree of direct interaction (which would mean they can at least use language or limbs or material movement etc), and assuming they are an advanced species compared to us, they are more likely to be here to mine stuff they need, and not to relocate power/resources so as to bother studying a much lesser species. Human scientists don't relocate resources in the quest to morph into guinea pigs or otherwise interact with the lab animals in a direct manner.

2) If the aliens are so massively advanced that our human world can be run/examined as something analogously trivial as our own human experiments on lab animals, then it likely follows they don't have anything of note to gain by studying us in the first place. A child may play with an ant-nest, but the ant-nest from the human perspective is just a creation on a pile of sand/dirt.

3) If the aliens are not even similar to some manner to us (eg 3d-based species), then it becomes even more unlikely they would want to observe us, or at least identify us as something 'alive' as they are. Much like we don't tend to view a rock or a sound wave as 'alive' in this sense, despite being able to observe them.

4) Mining stuff can always make sense, and it would not be far-fetched that if some aliens were here to mine things, they would want to be mindful of humans in the area they are mining, and thus react if their business was threatened, including in violent fashion.

Anyway, just to - hopefully - get a discussion going. What is your view?

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Default Re: Discussion about how likely/unlikely it is for ET aliens to use humans

They want to serve Man.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Default Re: Discussion about how likely/unlikely it is for ET aliens to use humans

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    They want to serve Man.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

What is the reason you think hypothetical aliens would consider humans "much lesser"? I would hope that aliens would not be so arrogant.

While I think it's highly likely extraterrestrial civilisations exist, I think it's almost impossible that they will ever visit us, or vice versa, even if we are able to detect them via the numerous methods that already exist and are being developed to examine nearby star systems.

Even if extraterrestrials were vastly superior to us, they would surely still struggle with interstellar travel. With our current technology, getting to the Alpha Centauri system would take tens to hundreds of thousands of years. It's hard for me to believe even exceptionally advanced beings being able to overcome the sheer scale of space.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This thread reminds me of a joke I heard the other day. It goes like this:

Man finally comes across extraterrestrial life. Or, better yet, extraterrestrial life comes across Man. A large, alien-looking spaceship lands - its doors slowly open.

The Commander shows up. He is wearing odd-looking, but colourless, clothes and a creature behind him is carrying a banner with a geometrical pattern.

He opens his mouth. Man cries. He hears the most soul-crushing, foreboding sound he could hear.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Commander is speaking Portuguese.
    Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; December 19, 2015 at 09:02 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Commander"Oi. Eu wouldao likeao toao speakao toao seu preisendentao"

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    What is the reason you think hypothetical aliens would consider humans "much lesser"? I would hope that aliens would not be so arrogant.

While I think it's highly likely extraterrestrial civilisations exist, I think it's almost impossible that they will ever visit us, or vice versa, even if we are able to detect them via the numerous methods that already exist and are being developed to examine nearby star systems.

Even if extraterrestrials were vastly superior to us, they would surely still struggle with interstellar travel. With our current technology, getting to the Alpha Centauri system would take tens to hundreds of thousands of years. It's hard for me to believe even exceptionally advanced beings being able to overcome the sheer scale of space.
    And a hamster would hope that humans are not so arrogant but alas. Tis the nature of life, we would be but animals to them if not bacteria.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 19, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think it had more to do with eminent slavery but your version is probably as scary.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

If they wanted resources they'd go to other planets and not bother us. There's plenty of mineral and chemical wealth on the other planets. Earth is unique (theoretically) only in its ability to sustain life.

I can't imagine it being worth their time to screw with us. We're just not that interesting.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    If they wanted resources they'd go to other planets and not bother us. There's plenty of mineral and chemical wealth on the other planets. Earth is unique (theoretically) only in its ability to sustain life.

I can't imagine it being worth their time to screw with us. We're just not that interesting.
    Assuming the aliens are not very close to us re perceptive organs, they easily may identify different minerals here to those we do, and some of those may be rare in the vicinity of their own civ.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

They would force us to worship them and make a cult so that we would want to serve them.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Or they're on a Spring Break, which would explain the probing.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

One theory I heard is that we may not be considered an intelligent form of life by whoever's come across our planet. As us humans base intelligence on our own capabilities and how other species size in comparison to us, aliens may have come across us, deemed us unintelligent in comparison to how advanced they are and simply moved onto the next bunch.

How rude.
    House of Caesers
    Under the patronage and son of Empress Meg
    Brother of the mighty Geat Carl von Döbeln

Graphics Workshop | My Graphics Gallery