Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why is it called the theory of evolution?

Default Why is it called the theory of evolution?

I know there must be something obvious I'm missing, but why do we still refer to evolution as a theory when theres all this heavy evidence to support it? Why is evolution not a law, like newtons laws of gravity?

I'm kind of tired of talking to creationists and having them tell me that evolution is "just a theory". Uhm...no, its a fact. We have several types of proof to support it. So why not change the wording to Darwin's Law of Evolution?

Default Re: Why is it called the theory of evolution?

Bring me out the Half man Half ape and I'll call it a Fact!
    Senator

uh....huh? Go to the museum you can see tons of half man half apes. Theyre called our ancestors, and we owe our existence to their struggles.

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Senator View Post
    Bring me out the Half man Half ape and I'll call it a Fact!
    Senator

You, sir, have been owned.

Indefinitely Banned

It is just a theory. The problem here is not a matter of truth but of definitions. Creationists are under the impression that theory is something that has not fully proven yet. A theory is simply a "big idea" and facts are smaller more tangibly proven things.

A theory is basically a recurring pattern, idea or rule that is drawn from repeatedly observed facts. Theories tend to be much bigger ideas that cannot be seen directly. Like the Atomic theory, which is determined from indirect observations but it is no less true than the Evolutionary theory.

So when a creationist tell you "its just a theory" tell him "YES!!" and recongnize that that whole line of arguments are a matter of semantics not Evolution's legitimacy.

Owned Nothing, That is an Ape Skull and the Museum is only art (mans Conception) Not Fact.
    Senator

-Conan the Barbarian-'s Avatar Vicarius

The word theory is being used incorrectly. What we think of theory is really an hypothesis. The Theory of Evolution has and is being proven.
    It has been surmised, that perhaps, my lord had become like a wild animal that had been kept too long. Perhaps, but whatever... freedom... so long an unremembered dream, was his.
    The children of Doom...Doom's children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

exactly, its just semantics. Very confusing semantics. I think a lot of this confusion can be avoided by changing the word theory to law. Doing so would not make the idea immune from scientific falsification, so I dont see what the hold up is about. Arent we contributing to ignorance by calling it a theory as opposed to a law? Doesnt this help give credence to the people who believe it is just one of many theories, the others (like creationism) being equally as valid?

Owned Nothing, That is an Ape Skull and the Museum is only art (mans Conception) Not Fact.
    Senator
    right, and carbon dating, geology, archeology, anthropology...are just fun hobbies.
    Last edited by RZZZA; November 25, 2006 at 05:00 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    exactly, its just semantics. Very confusing semantics. I think a lot of this confusion can be avoided by changing the word theory to law. Doing so would not make the idea immune from scientific falsification, so I dont see what the hold up is about. Arent we contributing to ignorance by calling it a theory as opposed to a law? Doesnt this help give credence to the people who believe it is just one of many theories, the others (like creationism) being equally as valid?
    No, it will never be called a law. A law is something more related to mathematics and phyics. Laws need to be exact and precise. The law of gravity: g=9.81m/s^2 is almost exact, its precise. Theories are different. They are less precise and always have imperfections and holes. Nearly all thing in biology are like this. Calling it a law would be wholly inaccurate. I'm sure a more biology knowledgable person can explain why its not called a law (i'm just a lowly engineering student). But there are definite and clear reasons why its not called a law.
    Last edited by Simetrical; November 26, 2006 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Continuity edit: response to re

Owned Nothing, That is an Ape Skull
    A "transitional form" isn't going to look like a half-human half-ape freak.

and the Museum is only art (mans Conception) Not Fact.
    Um, no. Museusms are not used exclusivly art. Please go visit one sometime.

Any way, I think you should take your "there are no magical half-ape half-human monsters, therefore evolution is false" thesis to the scientific community. They'll all agree with you and you'll get a noble prize for uncovering the giant global conspiracy that is evolution.

Theory is correct, only factual to those who believe the evidence, just like religious people believe the evidence of their holy books, through Faith!
    Senator

Right, because unverifed testimony is just as valid as, say, scientific evidence.

Mongoose, been to several, never seen one supposed fact of evolution that is not artistic, guessed at or dramatized. Not one and been to over 100 as a teacher!
    Senator

Indefinitely Banned

Theory is correct, only factual to those who believe the evidence, just like religious people believe the evidence of their holy books, through Faith!
    Senator
    Yes exactly. Theory is correct. There are many theories. Theory of Creation, Theory of Evolution, Theory of Reincarnation. The only difference is that theory of Evolution has all the facts supporting it and no facts contradicting it. While the other two theories have nothing supporting it and everyithing contradicting it.

There is quite large gaps in the fossil records to prove it is fact. And its not just a matter of Creationism V Darwinism; but there are also other theorys of evolution.

Some problems with Darwins theory are also hard to explain. Following Darwins theory, adaptations happen over time in a series of small changes; and if these changes give an advantage, the animal with the advantage becomes more successful and so passes on its genes more successfully thus the adaptation survives and continues to develop; so an adaption does not just suddenly appear.

However, one can point to the eye.If adaptions are brought about by a series of small changes how did the eye develop? You cant have half an eye, or an eye that sometimes sees things and sometimes doesnt. It either sees or it does not - so what caused the eye to develop?

Darwin himself admitted that the question of the Eye was the biggest threat to his theory. (By the way I am not a Creationist and I do believe in Darwins theory)
    What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility ... a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

Well I think evolution has a lot more, and a lot more compelling, evidence than the evidence that is used to prove god or the truth of some religion. If evidence is the deciding factor then the "theory" of evolution has to be much truthier than religous theories out there.

But people like you will look at evidence and just say "oh yeah, God made that." God put the bones in the earth for us to find, because it is his Will, and he likes to mislead us to test our faith.

edit: why is it hard to consider that the eye developed out of weaker and lesser capable eyes such as those found in small mammals, and even further back, reptiles and all sorts of amphibians.

Tostig's Avatar -

Although there is plenty of evidence to support it, and evolution at the moment looks a lot more likely than any other theory, it has not, and cannot, be proven, and since scientists aren't arrogant enough to claim that the unproven is beyond all doubt they still call it a theory. Just like Newton's theory of gravity, or Einstein's special relativity. Genetics is to evolution what the inverse square law is to gravity, proof beyond all reasonable doubt, but not absolute proof.
    Garbarsardar has been a dapper chap.

Mongoose, been to several, never seen one supposed fact of evolution that is not artistic, guessed at or dramatized. Not one and been to over 100 as a teacher!
    Senator
    Damn those scientists and their evil secrets and lies!

Wrong RZZZA, My Religion is based on Faith. Some things are unanswerable, but I believe what I do because of Faith. Along with much Evidence. But still Faith. So too, Evolution is based on Faith, does not make it a religion but puts in to the same realm of uncertainty, enough to dispel your first thought of fact or theory.
    Senator

Out of curiosity, what other well established scientific theories have you exposed as lies?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast