Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My biggest fear with Warhammer TW.

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

Default Re: My biggest fear with Warhammer TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    The best thing the skeptical guys can do is wait for the youtubers to be given the early copies and see their reviews. Now there will obviously be some bias but you can judge the mechanics for yourself this way.

I honestly believe CA has become a lot more transparent in recent years, especially with Attila - Rome was a misstep and they know this. I always think with Warhammer - they are making a trilogy of this so it really is in their best interests to make the first game damn good. They know their fans aren't mugs (mostly).
    I wouldn't put my hand to burn for the independence of judgement in the youtubers.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    That CA will make these stupid "meme" games rather than interesting historic ones.
    Dude I'm not even a big fan of Warhammer but it's hardly a "meme". Warhammer has been around for 30 years and some of the computer games that have been put out by the name of Warhammer are actually really damn good (see Dawn of War). I'm so happy the have gambled with a fantasy franchise, it brings something different to both the gameplay and atmosphere and means they can play around with mechanics and stuff they would never get a chance to with history - dragons, lizardmen, magic etc.

Seriously Warhammer is a bloody franchise, and one with a well developed and interesting backstory at that.

And they have said like a gorillian times that they have not stopped developing historic titles, they put out a blog post about 2 days ago stating that there was a new historic game in development right now and that it was going to be huge. CA never stopped developing historical games, the company has like 5 Total War teams.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Dude I'm not even a big fan of Warhammer but it's hardly a "meme". Warhammer has been around for 30 years and some of the computer games that have been put out by the name of Warhammer are actually really damn good (see Dawn of War). I'm so happy the have gambled with a fantasy franchise, it brings something different to both the gameplay and atmosphere and means they can play around with mechanics and stuff they would never get a chance to with history - dragons, lizardmen, magic etc.

Seriously Warhammer is a bloody franchise, and one with a well developed and interesting backstory at that.

And they have said like a gorillian times that they have not stopped developing historic titles, they put out a blog post about 2 days ago stating that there was a new historic game in development right now and that it was going to be huge. CA never stopped developing historical games, the company has like 5 Total War teams.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

I was upset at first, too, about the "abandonment" of historical settings. But, if you really think about it, CA has been making more or less "fantasy" games since Rome 1. Their historical authenticity has always been lacking. For example, play Rome 1, then Europa Barbarorum or Europa Barbarorum 2 and see if you still think that Rome 1 is a "historical" game. Hell, when Rome 1 first came out, the Egyptian faction units looked more like bronze age warriors than soldiers under the Ptolemaic kings! The Celtic and Germanic factions pretty much just played into "barbarian" stereotypes, the Hellenistic armies were complete nonsense, etc. The point is that, without mods, every Total War game since Medieval 1 has been a fantasy strategy game that just happens to look vaguely like a historical setting. Empire was the only game where it even looked like they were trying for historical authenticity.

At least with Warhammer the fantasy stuff is part of the package. Battles will be ridiculous and fast, but it kind of makes sense when you have giants and gryphons and whatnot hacking at each other. Call of Warhammer is now one of my favorite Medieval 2 mods. The battles are very fast-paced, but I don't expect (or really want) historical pacing from dwarves blasting orcs with cannons.

I'm definitely waiting for reviews and sales before picking up this new title, but I am actually looking forward to a CA game where the mechanics and gameplay match the world they are trying to represent. Finally, CA will get to make a playground that is as unrealistic as their games have always really been.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234