Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New DLC: Age of Charlemagne

Default Re: New DLC: Age of Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Methodius View Post
    Well that's unlikely because Carinthia was slavic back than.
    Exactly, this would also make things also a bit more interesting especially if they were rebellious. Slavs will be in the game anyway so they could have generic Slavic roster.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
    After reviewing some screenshots of the campaign map we should bring it to CA's attention to move Paris on the Seine river. On the campaign it appears Paris is a few miles east of the River itself. Let it be known to CA>
    Yes im disappointed as well, this was Paris in 550AD. I noticed the same problem in Last Roman DLC.

Last edited by Fanest; November 26, 2015 at 05:26 PM.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    Exactly, this would also make things also a bit more interesting especially if they were rebellious. Slavs will be in the game anyway so they could have generic Slavic roster.
    I suspect that the Slavs will be the FLC.

Yes im disappointed as well, this was Paris in 550AD. I noticed the same problem in Last Roman DLC.

Furthermore, Paris in the early 9th century Viking siege of Paris.

It would've made a far more interesting map to have Paris on an island in the battle map. But how time consuming is it to make and program a new settlement battle map?

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    I suspect that the Slavs will be the FLC.?
    Im expecting it too. Considering that they had to make slavic rooster for Charlemagne anyway, why not use it in vanilla game for free?

[QUOTE=Furthermore, Paris in the early 9th century Viking siege of Paris?[/QUOTE]
    Its probably gameplay decision. They want Seine free for boats.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Im expecting it too. Considering that they had to make slavic rooster for Charlemagne anyway, why not use it in vanilla game for free?

Its probably gameplay decision. They want Seine free for boats.
    I wasn't even thinking of having the Seine navigable (which it really was, and that would be cool too), but I thought it would be interesting just have a fortress city on the small central island with only a few bridges connecting it. But as awesome as having a navigable Seine would be for all those Viking enthusiasts out there, people would complain like the Nile in Rome 2 and Attila that the river ruins the map by being so unrealistically wide.

Though on the flip side of that, it would be impossible to get siege towers or ladders up to the walls, meaning the gates would have to be broken down and the place taken with a frontal assault. I can't imagine CA not at least bringing this up in the planning room, so perhaps it was scrapped just because it wouldn't be workable for the cost.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; November 26, 2015 at 10:09 PM.

Well that's unlikely because Carinthia was slavic back than.
    Where's the logic here? They can't be a client state of Big Charles, "because they were Slavic"?

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Charlemagne was far more then some barbarian chieftain. Western Europe would not exists as it does if not for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Man, if you truly believe this then you are deluded. He was not a mere barbarian. I'm honestly surprised you would say something like this considering you're clearly quite intelligent. I mean, I say stupid stuff but 90% of the time I'm trolling.
    I was half trolling, half trying to explain that the Avars were not interested in expanding west therefore they would not make sense to be playable in this campaign. Nomadic steppe tribes were almost always trying to reach Pannonia (Huns, Avars, Magyars, Pechenegs, Cumans, and Mongols) so that they could have a prime grazing location as well to be perfectly positioned to raid the Balkans and Italy. Despite the Carolingian Renaissance and the political unity established by Karl, the fact of the matter remained that Aachen was not nearly an appetizing target as Thessalonike or Constantinople.

Concerning Paris - I feel that this period warrants Paris getting its own custom map (like Rome, Constantinople, and Ravenna in the GC)
    Last edited by Darios; November 26, 2015 at 11:48 PM.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Well Chalemagne died in 812ad. The first viking siege of Paris was in 850.

So I agree, the Paris is the capital of the Game, basically Rome. It should have realistic defenses. By 885 and the second Vik siege it was a veritable fortress.

As seen on "vikings"
    Last edited by Påsan; November 27, 2015 at 12:03 AM.

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Actually C.A can made dlc featuring Tamerlane who ransack India, its sure quite epic DLC worhty of all praise. Just replace the Hun with Mongol , add new map, made new building structure, import some indian culture music,UI, and voila its basicly new game

Baahuballi is one of few example how interesting Ancient India Warfare, complete with majestic building, layer etc etc, and we can put the nemesis with Tamerlane, its should fit similiar like Attila in Europe
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

venturing deep into Asia would require a separate game. Or a true big expansion and I'm not sure CA is capable of doing big expansions now

btw, that movie looks terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    The so called Father of Europe would have you believe that anything east of Germania was MORDOR full of Easterlings
    They also left out Scandanavia. When Medieval3 is announced the Slavs will get alot of love in the form of Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Hungary etc.

Ciruelo's Avatar Tiro

Regarding Viking siege of Paris... it would be so cool if vikings can seal on rivers with siege equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Well Chalemagne died in 812ad. The first viking siege of Paris was in 850.

So I agree, the Paris is the capital of the Game, basically Rome. It should have realistic defenses. By 885 and the second Vik siege it was a veritable fortress.
    Only that Charlemagnes capital was Aachen in today's Germany and not Paris.

This is also the region where the Carolingians (and Merowingians) came from originally (between Aachen and Liege at least).
    Last edited by EinBein; November 27, 2015 at 06:19 AM.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    They also left out Scandanavia. When Medieval3 is announced the Slavs will get alot of love in the form of Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Hungary etc.
    1) Hungarians and Lithuanians are not Slavs. Hungarians are Ugro-Finnic people and Lithuanians are Balts.

2) I'm kinda sick of hearing about this mythological Medieval 3. Creative Assembly has never said anything regarding M3, and it's all just speculating/hopeful wishing. The next CA historical title might be years away and instead have a completely different focus.

3) Personally, I'm far more interested in Late Antiquity/Dark Ages than the high Middle Ages. I wanna see Attila completed/enriched before we move on to the next game...
    Last edited by Darios; November 27, 2015 at 04:20 AM.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Where's the logic here? They can't be a client state of Big Charles, "because they were Slavic"?
    Well considering even Hitler had slavic vassals i see no problem here But considering that game starts in 768, Duchy of Carinthia should not be under Charles.

[QUOTE=Darios;14780535]1) Hungarians and Lithuanians are not Slavs. Hungarians are Ugro-Finnic people and Lithuanians are Balts.
    [QUOTE]
    They were not slavs per see but a lot of slavs lived there. (just look at DNA map of that region)

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze View Post
    Actually C.A can made dlc featuring Tamerlane who ransack India, its sure quite epic DLC worhty of all praise. Just replace the Hun with Mongol , add new map, made new building structure, import some indian culture music,UI, and voila its basicly new game

Baahuballi is one of few example how interesting Ancient India Warfare, complete with majestic building, layer etc etc, and we can put the nemesis with Tamerlane, its should fit similiar like Attila in Europe
    That's got to be the silliest trailer I've ever seen. Can I somehow get my 5 minutes back?

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh! View Post
    That's got to be the silliest trailer I've ever seen. Can I somehow get my 5 minutes back?
    Biggest wtf-moment at 0:25.

Well considering even Hitler had slavic vassals i see no problem here But considering that game starts in 768, Duchy of Carinthia should not be under Charles.
    I was referring to excerpts from a book by the Slovenian historian Oto Luthar (The Land between: A History of Slovenia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oto_Luthar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    I was referring to excerpts from a book by the Slovenian historian Oto Luthar (The Land between: A History of Slovenia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oto_Luthar
    K but you are talking about Bavaria not Charles. I believe he subjugated them sometime in 80ties. So they should not be under his rule at the start of the game.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EinBein View Post
    Only that Charlemagnes capital was Aachen in today's Germany and not Paris.

This is also the region where the Carolingians (and Merowingians) came from originally (between Aachen and Liege at least).
    I thought Paris was the capital of the Merovingians. It definitely was one of the core cities of the Frankish realm and probably larger than Aachen. Carolingians did indeed come from the Meuse-Rhine area (Represent!), probably Herstal.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    I thought Paris was the capital of the Merovingians. It definitely was one of the core cities of the Frankish realm and probably larger than Aachen. Carolingians did indeed come from the Meuse-Rhine area (Represent!), probably Herstal.
    As the Merowingians had to divide their lands pretty often between parellely ruling kings, they had multiple capitals. The eastern part (Austrasia) was propably ruled from Metz (and not from Aachen, which lay in the center of Austrasia) and the western part (Neustria) might have been controlled from Paris.

Pippin, Charlemagnes father, is considered the first ruler of the Frankish realm that partly ruled from Aachen. Charlemagne relied completely on that city (where he died as well in the end).