Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: New DLC: Age of Charlemagne

Default Re: New DLC: Age of Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    I just want to make this point, we Balkans people have a thing for distorting history to appear in a certain way.
    Be assured, this thing is not limited to the Balkans

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

I just want to make this point, we Balkans people have a thing for distorting history to appear in a certain way. For example, in the ruins of the former Black Sea colony of Histia (Istros) there is a lovely little museum. It's full of Greek, Roman, Scythian, and early Christian artifacts. There are also a few inscriptions/artifacts from the Dark Ages which the Romanian archaeologists listed as "feudal" which it is clear that they come from the First Bulgarian Empire.

I know nothing about the said Avar faction symbol in question but it could easily be Avar or Bulgar...
    Tell me About it....Well the Republic of Macedonia is the Champion in that area. Those guys still think they came from Alexander the Great.

I just want to make this point, we Balkans people have a thing for distorting history to appear in a certain way. For example, in the ruins of the former Black Sea colony of Histia (Istros) there is a lovely little museum. It's full of Greek, Roman, Scythian, and early Christian artifacts. There are also a few inscriptions/artifacts from the Dark Ages which the Romanian archaeologists listed as "feudal" which it is clear that they come from the First Bulgarian Empire.
    Don't worry, every modern state tried to exploit nationalism and use it for its own interests. Regarding the black sea colonies, I was told that during the Interwar Period, the Romanian state tried to use the Graeco-Roman runis of the ancient colonies around the Black Sea to justify the occupation of Southern Dobruja, as a land historically Roman-Romanian, despite the prevalent Bulgarian population of the modern times. It didn't work though, as Southern Dobruja was given back to Bulgaria, after WW2.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Don't worry, every modern state tried to exploit nationalism and use it for its own interests. Regarding the black sea colonies, I was told that during the Interwar Period, the Romanian state tried to use the Graeco-Roman runis of the ancient colonies around the Black Sea to justify the occupation of Southern Dobruja, as a land historically Roman-Romanian, despite the prevalent Bulgarian population of the modern times. It didn't work though, as Southern Dobruja was given back to Bulgaria, after WW2.
    Correct. I think that Wallachia might have temporarily conquered Dobruja at one point or another during the 15th century but historically the region was Bulgarian. The portions of the Black Sea coast historically inhabited by Romanians (Moldovans to be more exact) corresponded with present day Budjak and the area around Odessa and Ochakov (both cities were originally built as Moldovan fortresses). Problem was, the Russian Empire seized these lands in the 18th and 19th centuries and filled them up with ethnic Russians, Ukrainians, Bulgarians, and Turks to the point where the ethnic Moldovans were largely assimilated into the Russian speaking population. In compensate for its loss, the Congress of Berlin granted Northern Dobruja to Romania in 1878 and Romanian colonization of the region began. There are also significant ethnic Tatar and Turk populations there who were driven from Crimea and the Russian/Ukrainian Black Sea coasts during the same period.

Point being, populations have shifted a lot in history and the Banat region was heavily fought over by the Bulgarians and Avars to the point where no one can really guess who made the said artifact. The horseman appears Asiatic so I feel that it would be very hard to disprove the Avar hypothesis...especially as the Bulgarians were heavily Slavicized by the period in it was made.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

Anyone saw what the new faction is?

Mercia
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    Mercia
    Mercia was pretty sweet. I liked them more than any other faction showed so far. Anglo-Saxon England looked very well done)

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I am actually a bit dissapointed of the low density of provinces on Saxon England.

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

Thans guys , glad to hear. Anglo saxon Britain is one of my favourite places in hhistory.

I am actually a bit dissapointed too, after watching som vids , no new ship modells, ad NO NEW settlement modells !! over painted unrealistic pojamas units ehhh

Quote Originally Posted by Hunor View Post
    I am actually a bit dissapointed too, after watching som vids , no new ship modells, ad NO NEW settlement modells !! over painted unrealistic pojamas units ehhh

What did you expect from DLC? Unfortunately it's not a new game. Or engine. Or gaming company for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by crucify_ego View Post
    What did you expect from DLC? Unfortunately it's not a new game. Or engine. Or gaming company for that matter.
    som new settlemens, or castle for example. motte and Bailey castles.

Doubt it, but it would be nice. Maybe you have to tech up or something. Who knows

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Well..yeah. Motte and Bailey style fortifications did not come into use until the 10th century. I really don't know what many of you guys were expecting when you first heard that there would be a Charlemagne campaign. I imagine that it's related to the same crowd who would expect to see knights in a King Arthur themed campaign. Seriously, warfare during Charlemagne's period was almost identical to what you saw during Late Antiquity. Also, fortifications were, for the most part, the same raised platforms that you see in the Attila Grand Campaign. True knights would not even arise for another century or two. So....yeah, don't be shocked if this campaign feels closer to Late Antiquity than it does the High Middle Ages stuff that people were daydreaming about.

The little argument of Wessex vs Mercia came to an end. The Pro Mercia crowd wins. LOL

Some things have remained the same. Region is christian but there are pagan statues in the city. No difference in the sound (and vocals) of TA Attila. Sorry for my bad English.

^ That was one of my main concerns, that means the Muslim cities will have Sassanid/Zarostrian architecture too. It's quite lazy of CA, they could've at least altered the current in game architecture models and recolored it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
    ^ That was one of my main concerns, that means the Muslim cities will have Sassanid/Zarostrian architecture too. It's quite lazy of CA, they could've at least altered the current in game architecture models and recolored it.
    Yeah unfortunately you may be right, even some of the audio of the Muslim characters talk about the "holy flame" lol

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
    The little argument of Wessex vs Mercia came to an end. The Pro Mercia crowd wins. LOL
    CA did their research right. I guess Wessex and Northumbria will need conquering...i.e a.i will fight you.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    Tell me About it....Well the Republic of Macedonia is the Champion in that area. Those guys still think they came from Alexander the Great.

It's their retaliation really. You wanted to take our territories? Well we take your history!
    Duchy of Croatia in my Total War?! Oh I can't wait for factions unlocker mod!