Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: - General Discussion -

Default - General Discussion -

Welcome, here we discuss anything and everything related to INVASIO BARBARORVM : CRISIS IMPERII, also known as Imperial Crisis II.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: - General Discussion -

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Welcome, here we discuss anything and everything related to INVASIO BARBARORVM : CRISIS IMPERII, also known as Imperial Crisis II.
    Oh well! Finally the Norse has moved his drakkar and we got the thread!
    Well, well, well, nowadays, not even the Viking ships are fast as once they were, anyway .. thanks Joar! ... and thanks to asterion for his awesome work!

So, it's "CRISIS IMPERII", there were many other choices: IMPERIUM ET CRISIS, IMPERIUM IN DISCRIMEN ADDUCTUM, RES PUBLICA IN DISCRIMEN ADDUCTA, DISCRIMEN IMPERII, DISCRIMEN REI PUBLICAE, DE DISCRIMINE REI PUBLICAE, CRISIS IMPERII SECUNDA, DE DISCRIMINE IMPERII, DE ADDUCTIONE IN DISCRIMEN IMPERII, DE IMPERII DISCRIMINE, IMPERIO IN DISCRIMEN ADDUCTO, DE DISCRIMINE IMPERII, DE CRISE IMPERII, IMPERIUM IN DISCRIMEN ADDUCTUM, DE IMPERIO IN DISCRIMEN ADDUCTO, DE IMPERIO IN DISCRIMINE VERSANDI, IN MAGNUM DISCRIMEN ADDUCTA RES PUBLICA EST, IN DISCRIMEN RES PUBLICA ADDUCTA, DE ADDUCTIONE IN DISCRIMEN REI PUBLICAE, DE ADDUCTIONE IN DISCRIMEN IMPERII, IN DISCRIMEN IMPERIO ADDUCTO, IN DISCRIMEN IMPERIO ADDUCENDO, REI PUBLICAE CRISIS, and we could go on for hundred pages, sorting out the infinite combinations offered by the Latin Language, I've also thought about something concerning this famous passage of Cassius Dio (LXXI, 36, 4) about the End of the Roman Golden Age and the beginning of an Age of Iron and Rust:

"Περὶ οὗ ἤδη ῥητέον, ἀπὸ χρυσῆς τε βασιλείας ἐς σιδηρᾶν καὶ κατιωμένην τῶν τε πραγμάτων τοῖς τότε Ῥωμαίοις καὶ ἡμῖν νῦν καταπεσούσης τῆς ἱστορίας."

" For our history now descends from a kingdom of gold to one of iron and rust, as affairs did for the Romans of that day."

But asterion's choice, when he created Imperial Crisis, was more direct and clearer, he had in mind the crisis and its root, so here it comes this CRISIS IMPERII, it's close to the original idea of asterion and it's also close to the original title already known by many players so, CRISIS IMPERII! I like it!

Thank you very much Diocle! I unfortunately now can't go online with your home PC. Work is being done. As there will be constant opportunity to work on the Internet, I will write what has already been done!

Hello there:

I do not know if this can be placed here, but I wanted to coment some points, just a couple for now, about the campaign Im playing right now:

1- The amount of armies on the map is... too much.

Well, a fort on the border with celts (Adriane Wall, right?)... plenty of legions... ok, its fine... two armies about "to eat" Sirmium and Acquincum, well... can be just one, full banner (and less a bit the defense of both cities)... Im not sure at all about this, but it seems to me... too many forces, I dont say they arent needed (au contraire) , but maybe need a bit more balance for more challenge... You will see.

2- Too many variety from the start:

The player (as I can to see) like when enter to a game and must "to discover" the new things... They like start with peasants ("Well, let go to see what I can do with this..."), and then discover medium infantry ("Oh, nice"), and finally the Top Imperials ("Waw! I get it now!")... so, if him have all roster from the start, in two turns... probably he bored, or something... Im very wrong about it ?... I like when games invite to me to discover new things... as in the first point, you will see.

Well greetings,

see later.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeopterix View Post
    Hello there:

I do not know if this can be placed here, but I wanted to coment some points, just a couple for now, about the campaign Im playing right now:

1- The amount of armies on the map is... too much.

Well, a fort on the border with celts (Adriane Wall, right?)... plenty of legions... ok, its fine... two armies about "to eat" Sirmium and Acquincum, well... can be just one, full banner (and less a bit the defense of both cities)... Im not sure at all about this, but it seems to me... too many forces, I dont say they arent needed (au contraire) , but maybe need a bit more balance for more challenge... You will see.

2- Too many variety from the start:

The player (as I can to see) like when enter to a game and must "to discover" the new things... They like start with peasants ("Well, let go to see what I can do with this..."), and then discover medium infantry ("Oh, nice"), and finally the Top Imperials ("Waw! I get it now!")... so, if him have all roster from the start, in two turns... probably he bored, or something... Im very wrong about it ?... I like when games invite to me to discover new things... as in the first point, you will see.

Well greetings,

see later.
    Welcome Archaeopterix. What mod are you playing? There are three released mods here. This the:CRISIS IMPERII (Imperial Crisis II) mod?
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 24, 2016 at 04:46 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Hello Riothamus, and thank you... yes CRISIS IMPERII (Imperial Crisis II) ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-beta-version) )

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

How do I switch to the 193 AD campaign?

AntonioHundangir's Avatar Tiro

ctd opening settimio odenatus windows character during palmyran campaign

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioHundangir View Post
    ctd opening settimio odenatus windows character during palmyran campaign
    Unfortunately, I don't know what changes were made in the game! I propose to ask this question directly to Saloth Sar.

german tribes, especially franks,alemanni, etc are too good equipped. too armored units. too far.seems 5-early 6 century units sometime.
    and we need more generals/characters i think for every faction. not many. but some at least. too armies without a general for every faction.
    "regina caeli, sive tu Ceres,
    alma frugum parens originalis,
    quae, repertu laetata filiae,
    vetustatae glandis ferino remoto pabulo,
    miti commostrato cibo nunc,
    eleusiniam gleba percolis." - prayer to Kerres (Cerere, Benevolentissima Mater)

"Respice post te. Hominem te memento. Memento mori.". (look behind you, remember you're a man. Remember you must die.)

Archaeopterix: that's the 3rd century crisis. the legions that you see, with names, and the auxilia cohortes, with names, (not the generic auxilia and legions. i mean historical cohorts, like 1 batavorum, 9 siriaca, 1 damascenorum, 13 gemina, 10 gemina, etc the historic troops) are troops of a past time. these are the veterans of severian, decian, valerian campaigns. (230 to 260 ad when game start). indeed many of them have an "obsolete" equipment with lorica segmentata and the old fashoned shield. these men are the rest of the old school army, veterans where the youngest is 40-45 old. and the oldest 60-65, something like the argyraspides of alexander during diadochi wars. veterans of 30-40 years of wars. the new recruited troops, have chain mail, and a oval shield usually. not ever. but the old style equipment is going outdated by now. italian cohorts, illiric cohorts, germanic cohorts, eastern, etc etc almost all have chain mail and oval shield. almost. not all. so you cannot recruit the top imperial like legio partica, fulminata, ferrata, fretensis, etc you can only retrain they. they're the old guard. the last resource of the old imperial army. the men that done the military anarchy. would be anachronistic recruit they. you can recruit the new created equites promoti, by gallieno, you can recruit some historical cohort of auxilia, the pretorians too you can. you are in crisis. you're not a young kingdom that should build his power, like diadochi was. you' re a old empire, with a well tried army of veterans,(that think much more to revolt and kill theirself yes.), for that you have so much good elite troops. they re the rest of the glorious past. in 20-30 years you should be able to recruit diocletian troops, and later with constantinian reform the new model army. but you cannot recruit the old historical legions. they re equipment begin to be outdated (lorica segmentata, etc yet gladius is been changed with spatha. but some traditionalist officers in that period,especially italics, especially of senator class, still to use it. especially during valerian/gallienus period, an "obsolete" weapon by now, that they had like a status symbol, remember of a lost past, and they refuse to change with the weapon of ordinance, the spatha. often officers, can choose what weapons carry.).
    for that you have all these troops, you cannot recruit historical legions, only replenish they, and you have many so good recruitment options. roman imperial army of this period, in spite of the terrible defeats of last years, against persia, against goths, against free dacians, and against germanic tribes, is a perfectly tried weapon with centuries of experience, and is transforming. so take care of your veteran legions, dont expose too they, if you can try to sacrifice auxilia and normal legions (german/italic/illyrian etc cohort that you can recruit after building something) because if you lost the veterans you cannot recruit they again.
    VALE!

"Respice post te. Hominem te memento. Memento mori.". (look behind you, remember you're a man. Remember you must die.)

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioHundangir View Post
    Archaeopterix: that's the 3rd century crisis. the legions that you see, with names, and the auxilia cohortes, with names, (not the generic auxilia and legions. i mean historical cohorts, like 1 batavorum, 9 siriaca, 1 damascenorum, 13 gemina, 10 gemina, etc the historic troops) are troops of a past time. these are the veterans of severian, decian, valerian campaigns. (230 to 260 ad when game start). indeed many of them have an "obsolete" equipment with lorica segmentata and the old fashoned shield. these men are the rest of the old school army, veterans where the youngest is 40-45 old. and the oldest 60-65, something like the argyraspides of alexander during diadochi wars. veterans of 30-40 years of wars. the new recruited troops, have chain mail, and a oval shield usually. not ever. but the old style equipment is going outdated by now. italian cohorts, illiric cohorts, germanic cohorts, eastern, etc etc almost all have chain mail and oval shield. almost. not all. so you cannot recruit the top imperial like legio partica, fulminata, ferrata, fretensis, etc you can only retrain they. they're the old guard. the last resource of the old imperial army. the men that done the military anarchy. would be anachronistic recruit they. you can recruit the new created equites promoti, by gallieno, you can recruit some historical cohort of auxilia, the pretorians too you can. you are in crisis. you're not a young kingdom that should build his power, like diadochi was. you' re a old empire, with a well tried army of veterans,(that think much more to revolt and kill theirself yes.), for that you have so much good elite troops. they re the rest of the glorious past. in 20-30 years you should be able to recruit diocletian troops, and later with constantinian reform the new model army. but you cannot recruit the old historical legions. they re equipment begin to be outdated (lorica segmentata, etc yet gladius is been changed with spatha. but some traditionalist officers in that period,especially italics, especially of senator class, still to use it. especially during valerian/gallienus period, an "obsolete" weapon by now, that they had like a status symbol, remember of a lost past, and they refuse to change with the weapon of ordinance, the spatha. often officers, can choose what weapons carry.).
    for that you have all these troops, you cannot recruit historical legions, only replenish they, and you have many so good recruitment options. roman imperial army of this period, in spite of the terrible defeats of last years, against persia, against goths, against free dacians, and against germanic tribes, is a perfectly tried weapon with centuries of experience, and is transforming. so take care of your veteran legions, dont expose too they, if you can try to sacrifice auxilia and normal legions (german/italic/illyrian etc cohort that you can recruit after building something) because if you lost the veterans you cannot recruit they again.
    VALE!

Oh, You are so well versed in Roman auxilia. I need Your help! Could You make a list of the Roman auxilia what you need to do for the mod?

well ok. what do you need exactly? for example, the first to recruit foederati (stranger troops with their own weapons, and equipment, not romanized like auxilia.) was hadrian. if i remind well, he start to recruit some barbarian warband called foederati, using it on the limes, and even giving land like award or food.maybe that, i'm not sure. but i played very much years ago to mods like augustus total war, and reign of trajan (parthic campaign and dacian campaign) so i did read these thiings about early foederati. (real early foederati was italian socii in republic times, but after polybian reform this word wasnt used anymore until hadrian times.). ending early foederati was something like mercenaries warband with their native look, without being romanized and civilized. i noticed too from 1-2 century ad, equites parthi et osroeni, used especially on danube and rhine. mauri auxilia too. numidians. cretan archers (im speaking of regular auxilia troops of imperial time. not of republic socii. yet in teutoburg and germanico campaigns, there was cretan archers, balear slingers, numidians, etc like regular auxilia troops, with roman equipment, etc not the mercenaries of republic times. btw cretan archers and balear slingers appear also in late v century time, and cretans served also in venice fleet in middle age. so, was a tradition in some land. these units was part of regular auxilia in imperial times. i think there was also a unit of dalmatian slingers. at time of marco aurelio, foederati warband hired alone,(i mean, 1 warband here, 2 there, etc especially marcomanni longobardi quadi, etc defeated people) was hired in the army like foederati. but wasnt the v century foederati. simply they was demi mercenaries warbands, often gived by german client kings. that's happened in east too, earlier even, with palmyrene allieds, armenian, bosphoran, etc and by some unit name i suspect there was some persian too. deserters even. or some exiled one. like ormisda with julianus. i m speaking by vespasian-hadrian times, to diocletian. saracen auxilia was used too. germans fear much they. i read somewhere, that gothic warriors fear much saracen archers and cavalry,because they did jump from the horse, biting their throats or ears like wolves.and then they howl with the blood everywhere. gothic warriors in balkans was scared by that. also after adrianopoli battle romans used saracen against goths for that too. (desert people was much more barbarians than germans sometime. xd) really. i swear. i read that in several books. do you wanna some suggest for the units?
    Last edited by AntonioHundangir; October 05, 2016 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks for the info. I want to do more regional auxiliaries! I am interested in their proper names as "Batavorum" "Gallorum".

Thanks for the info!

i suggest , since gallienus done reforms in the army,to insert some ancillary like senator and equites. gallienus was an italian of senators class, before of gallienus reforms, military commands in the legions was held by senators and equites, but he opened the command too normal people too, with his reforms. so illyrian emperors come, (they was all of humble origin. often native. while early generals and emperors, was almost all senators or equites. like septimio severo, with a father that was a berber noble, and the mother a noble of italic origin i think.). and even insert some minor general (so not of family member) of barbarian origin with the ancillary "auxiliary prefect". the commanders of auxilia troops. especially horse troops. so before valerian-gallienus era, we have commanders of senator class,and equites. with auxiliary prefects too, later we have also commanders that not belong to nobility, of native origin like illyrian emperors.
    btw i read on the script file that over the goths, there is also alemanni invasion of italy in 271, franks attacks on sicily in 278, etc and i would suggest to dev's to insert also bagaudae revolts in gaul.
    Last edited by AntonioHundangir; October 06, 2016 at 11:28 AM.

Thank you! I will try to accommodate all requests!

I would see also more german yribes. Vandals, burgundi, lombards. Few germans. Thats for so many roman factions i guess

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Bagaudae revolt in Gaul was a very serious matter in those times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast