Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - General Discussion -

Default - General Discussion -

Here we discuss anything and everything related to INVASIO BARBARORVM : IMPERIVM CONSTANTINI

Default Re: - General Discussion -

i can't wait for some units preview of the sacer comitatus !!
    By the way it's pretty hard to represent accurately the army of Constantinus : his reign led to many changes , even if the Severians and off course the tetrarchy began the process. For instance, an interesting point of view i've just found in Marco Rocco's work ; the comitatenses units, "rank" established by Constantinus, was more a prestigious reward (prestige and money) than a real operationnal classification. It has been given to all legions or auxiliae wich stand on his side, particularly against Licinius....

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Good luck with the project guys

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

I noticed something was strange when I first opened the Invasio Barbarorum subforum. At first I thought that SAI was renamed ... Then I saw it! A new mod! Best of luck with the project!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by vikior View Post
    I noticed something was strange when I first opened the Invasio Barbarorum subforum. At first I thought that SAI was renamed ... Then I saw it! A new mod! Best of luck with the project!
    Renaming Somnium Apostatae Iuliani using the name of Constantius Chlorus' bastard son? OMG, vikior! How can you have just thought such a shameful thing!

IMO the project is interesting and I like dreaming about an alternate universe in which the memory of the Constantius Chlorus son's has been condemned to the perennial DAMNATIO MEMORIAE.

Anyway, congrats and good work to the Mod team!

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Great, good luck with this

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Good times. Romans killing Romans at huge scale ...

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Now i am curious...will this mod share resources with RO (units, textures etc,etc) ? Are you planning on introducing Reforms, thus introducing the Limitanei and Comitatenses units classification ?
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Libertus

Well, just entered the forum after some time of absence and now I'm curious too: namely, if this start of a new project means that Ruina Romae is finally completed and ready to boot. To each his/her own modding rhythm and ideas, of course, but I think it's better to go one step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Well, just entered the forum after some time of absence and now I'm curious too: namely, if this start of a new project means that Ruina Romae is finally completed and ready to boot. To each his/her own modding rhythm and ideas, of course, but I think it's better to go one step at a time.
    This is actually not a new project. It was originally intended to be released with RO ( just as SAI have 3 differents campaigns ), but we discussed it back and forth for some time, and ultimately decided to turn it into a "stand-alone" mod. So, the decision to open up this new forum have very little to do with the status of our other IB chapters. Work goes on, as usual.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I didn't know this had been announced. Cool, new mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I didn't know this had been announced. Cool, new mod.
    Yeah, it's like with news on TV and on newspapers, an official declaration by the Administration, not only is cool, but it adds also a lot realism to the news itself.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

At last a mod about the Great Constantine equal of the Apostles Κωνσταντῖνος καὶ Ἑλένη Ἰσαπόστολοι

I can unite the Empire, purge heresy and smash the barbarians

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

This seems so awesome, looking forward to it!

I have found this nice picture of a late centurion the master Giuseppe Rava:

However I am not completely sure about which period correspond this centurion because altough his armor is typically from the roman soldiers of the IV and V AD centuries he also wears phalerae over his armour which I think left to be wear for them around the IV AD century. So for me there are only two possibilities. he is a centurion of the early army of the emperor Constantine or well a centurion of the "archaistic" army of Julian the Apostate during his persian campiagn (probably already after his own dead during the reign of Jovianus for the christian symbol.) So what do you think?

I think he's one of the Constantine's men, one of those hardened veterans who gave him the victories at Turin and at Milvian Bridge, they were the key factor for the damn bastard to prevail, those men, possibly all pagan, were building a new world without knowing exactly what they were doing, the emblem on their shields actually was painted on a new page of human history, they were the first Christian warriors and they did not even realize this tragic truth, damn ing heroic idiots.

i dont think soldiers cared much for their generals/emperor religion at least during the first half of the IV century, cant recall julian having trouble with the eastern armies during his doomed persian expedition, given that those armies likely had a higher percentage of christians, hell he even named a christian as his sucessor (jovian) which kinda does not make sense given his "anti-christian/pro pagan policies", perhaps after that spear went through his stomach the poor man was no longer rational, add that to the already unforgiving conditions of the roman retreat (lack of supplies, heat, stress due to the persians constant harassment) and we might be able to say julian was a broken man in his deathbed.

Quote Originally Posted by juanplay
    i dont think soldiers cared much for their generals/emperor religion at least during the first half of the IV century, cant recall julian having trouble with the eastern armies during his doomed persian expedition, given that those armies likely had a higher percentage of christians, hell he even named a christian as his sucessor (jovian) which kinda does not make sense given his "anti-christian/pro pagan policies", perhaps after that spear went through his stomach the poor man was no longer rational, add that to the already unforgiving conditions of the roman retreat (lack of supplies, heat, stress due to the persians constant harassment) and we might be able to say julian was a broken man in his deathbed.

I don't see the point of your post juan play, in fact this thread is about the bastard son of Constantius Chlorus and his successful usurpation against Maxentius, Licinius and Maximinus Daia, not about Julianus and his unfortunate and crazy Persian expedition.

The Great Persecution started on February 303 AD and ended only on 311 when Galerius announced that the persecution had failed its objectives, the Constantine's usurpation began at the death of his dad Constantius on 25 July 306 AD., the war broke out between 310 and 311, with the Persecution still effectual (at least on paper) so, even though it's not known the actual amount of Christians in the army, I doubt that in the West, where the faith in the Ancient Gods was still very strong, and in an army cleansed by 8 years of Persecution and still strongly Diocletianean as organization and staff, I doubut the amount of Christians, (if there was any Christian at all) could be large or even in some way significative.

About Iulianus .. I say nothing, for I've already said too much about him in these years and now I'm slightly bored, but let me just add that, as always, you're with the main mood, juan, in fact you're firmly with the majority and, as it's usual for those like you, you hasten to the rescue of the winners! Today in fact there are tons of people saying Iulianus was a bad emperor, many also say and write he was mad, crazy or mentally disordered or "broken" (how much I wish I were there, with one of those self-claiming historians, in the case he was dying on the battlefield, spitting his own blood with the liver crushed by a spear. I would like being there just to watch if one those gentlemen would offer a better show than that one offered by Iulianus in his last moments! ..I would like being there just to say: "My dear sir, sorry but .. actually you look a bit 'broken'!" ) there are tons of people saying and writing he was a persecutor, an usurper, a dangerous dreamer and/or a reactionary politician and/or a failed leader, so, I think you're in a good (it depends on the points of view, of course), large and absolutely British, fellowship, so .. what can I say? Nothing, nothing at all. Perhaps just this: Sursum corda and congrats .. juan!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    I think he's one of the Constantine's men, one of those hardened veterans who gave him the victories at Turin and at Milvian Bridge, they were the key factor for the damn bastard to prevail, those men, possibly all pagan, were building a new world without knowing exactly what they were doing, the emblem on their shields actually was painted on a new page of human history, they were the first Christian warriors and they did not even realize this tragic truth, damn ing heroic idiots.
    I'm First Citizen Gallienus, and I approve this message.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast