Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Hungary

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of Hungary

Great additions! Ty 4 the PM and that you appreciate my work. Now I know what my first choice will be... Mathias Corvin... glad to see such a diverse and multiethnic Hungarian state, just like it should be! The civilisation factor in the area. You did well to represent the Order of the Dragon! Also love the new Maramaros Vityaz units!

Didn't even notice that this preview was updated again. Nice additions, this faction just keeps getting better and better! I really like the great diversity of units and cultures represented.
    I also think it was a good choice to reduce the overall armor on a number of units. The only change that I looks somewhat off to me are the new shields of the tier 2 knights, I think that the previous, more colorful shields fit in better with the overall look of the unit and showcased their heraldry better.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

@ Ltd.

Regarding the Hungarian Vassals:

Post #1003

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Thread/page51

Congrats, Ltd., great units! I cannot wait to play as Hungary.

But also please let me give you some criticism as a medievalist. In the preview Tegzesek are too "old-school" in appearance, too nomadic which was maybe the situation in the 9-12th centuries but in the 13th c. they should look like the Királyi vitézek in your preview. They also should be available in the next centuries as most of the Várkatonaság were such horse-archer even around the time of the battle of Mohács (1526) although there were fewer and fewer várkatona/tegzes among the Hungarian units as the amount of the royal estates were decreasing. I recommend to reconceptualize the Tegzesek and Királyi vitézek units. For the latter they sould be similar as now but have lances as primary weapon and bow as an auxiliary weapon as we can see in the medieval Hungarian charters/diplomas (simple várkatona got privileges as a royal servant for being able to arm himself in mail armor, metal helmet and lance and bow in many cases), while Tegzesek should be a similar but cheaper unit with a bit "lighter" armor and bow as primary and sword/axe as secondary weapon.

For all these, check out the latest works of Veszprémy László and B. Szabó János and also Négyesi Lajos and Borosy András about the medieval Hungarian cavalry (if I'm not mistaken, you are a Hungarian).

We Magyars are descendants of Avars, Cumans, Tatars, Turks, Scythians and other wild warriors.

CrossTd's Avatar Foederatus

Transylvanian and Croatian troops can only be recruited by Hungary in those regions or every faction after conquering said regions?

Man that new armor looks absolutely phenomenal!

Btw one thing I have always wondered is why dont the knights have any horse armor? It seems kinda strange that they would have such expensive armor for themselves, but none for their horses which were often a knight's most expensive possession.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

You do check on the hungarian roster regularly, don't you? I am glad someone does.

Regarding the horse armour: I have not seen many depictions where the mounts of hungarian knights would wear armour. Not in hungarian, german or ottoman depictions. Honestly imo horse armour should be reserved for the absolute heaviest of heavy troops.
    Most depictions I see of 15th century WE cavalry horses are without armour.

Edit: here are a few depictions of hungarian soldiers

http://warfare.netau.net/Hungary.htm
    Last edited by Ltd.; November 21, 2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    You do check on the hungarian roster regularly, don't you? I am glad someone does.
    Well you keep updating the roster quite frequently, so it makes sense to check every once in a while.

Regarding the horse armour: I have not seen many depictions where the mounts of hungarian knights would wear armour. Not in hungarian, german or ottoman depictions. Honestly imo horse armour should be reserved for the absolute heaviest of heavy troops.
    Most depictions I see of 15th century WE cavalry horses are without armour.

Edit: here are a few depictions of hungarian soldiers

http://warfare.netau.net/Hungary.htm
    Fair enough, just seems weird to me that the knights would not protect their horses considering how important they are for them. Maybe you could add horse armor for the king's bodyguard to show their elite status.

Btw will the new armors also be added to Bohemia?

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

I'd rather keep the horses even for BG units unarmored and would actually welcome if really only certain specific units for other WE factions would field those.

People are free to use these new armour pieces for any WE faction of course ( including the polish factions) so the Bohemians will get updated with these as well.

Ltd. I have to say that the Hungarian units look phenomenal, great work.

Really nice work this those tier 2 knights! Love their new look.

Btw I noticed that one of the tier 2 spearmen has a Bohemian CoA on his shield, why is that?

Also I have to ask, considering that it was made up of soldiers from all over central and eastern Europe, was the Black Army really this relatively uniform in appearance?

And some more really nice additions! Cool to see some more militia units, I especially like those new padded hoods and that some of the tier 3 ones are wearing jack chain armor and hope that that armor will be used for some more units and factions in the future.
    It would also be nice to see some of the CoAs of the royal free cities on some of those militia units.

Louis the Great looks really fresh!

Btw will the Transylvanian Saxon units be updated at some point?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567