Thread: Voice Actor

Default Voice Actor

Hey guys, I am aware that the reason that the campaign and battle advisers are silent, there are no pre-battle speeches, and there are no introductory cinematics is mainly because we have lacked a qualified voice actor to help us with any of those.

Until now.

You see, the thought just occurred to me this morning that I already know a real voice-actor. And it's possible I may be able to convince him to help us out...

If I could be provided with contact information to give him for the best dev to work with on this (it would be a little sketchy trying to convince him to just come over here and randomly post on the forum, hoping to get a response), I could try and hook him up with you guys...

It would be nice if we could get some adviser dictation, speeches, or cinematics back. Keep in mind that he doesn't need to sound lie 100 different very specific characters- in the original (unmodded) Rome Total War game the same intro cinematics are used for large groups of culturally-related factions, for instance. And the pre-battle speeches are even less unique (and are procedurally generated based on a checklist of in-game conditions that activate different snippets- for instance if your general is a coward, there is a unique snippet that is part of the speech just for that...)

Regards,
    Northstar

Default Re: Voice Actor

OK, got in contact with said friend, he's interested in doing it- he mostly does voice acting for other stuff (ads and movies and such), but is interested in building a video game portfolio. He understands there would be no pay for this project.

Here is his professional e-mail he provided, broken up to prevent harvesting by bots:

Derek.Knabenbauer AT gmail.com

He also has several friends who are also voice actors and he says might be able to contribute additional voices...

Regards,
    Northstar
    Last edited by James_Northstar; November 21, 2015 at 02:08 AM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Hey Northstar,

Its a very kind offer and we would absolutely love to include something like this. That said, we are all stretched rather thin right now and may not be able to do anything on this front just yet.

But we are definitely interested.

Yes, thanks for the offer, on both your parts!

I can mock up a battle speech or two to get things started. If your friend has an interest or leaning toward any particular culture, just let me know and I can write the speech for that.

The cultures in the mod include:

Elves
    Dwarves
    Dunedain - Reunited Kingdom (Gondor and Arnor), Adunabar (the faction rebelling against the RK), and Tharbad (an upstart merchant-kingdom). The Dunedain are the most 'advanced' Mannish faction in the mod, though they, like the Elves, are perhaps beginning to decline from their past glories.
    Northmen - Rohan, Dale, Beornings, Rhovanion, Dorwinion. There's quite a bit of variety within this culture group, from the reclusive and rustic Beornings to the Dunedain-influenced men of Dorwinion, but overall I'd say they are characterized by a more vigorous spirit and shorter lifespans than the Dunedain.
    Barbarian - Rhun, North Rhun, Khand, Dunland. These factions comprise the least sophisticated culture in the mod, in terms of technology as well as society. Most of these factions have a "Dark Age warlord" kind of feel.
    Haradrian - Harad, Harondor, Far Harad. A fairly advanced culture group in many ways, the Haradrim may be seen as partly analogous to real-world Middle Eastern/North African cultures.

Let me know if any of these seem more appealing for him to try out, and I'll get a script!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...