Thread: Altering starting and spawned armies.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Altering starting and spawned armies.

Im not the best at M2TW modding, so forgive me if this is a stupidly obvious question. I considered putting it in the Medieval 2 modding workshop, but given that its specifically about this mod, I think this is more appropriate.

How in the world do you do this without destroying the scripts? I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Let's start with Campaign_script first. For example, the Beastmen faction. I am trying to alter their spawns to make them (in my opinion) less ridiculously powerful. I want to reduce the number of Gors and Bestigors, remove most of the minotaurs, and replace all with Ungors. As a test, I simply replaced every unit except for the bodyguard with Ungors. I did this by a simple "Find and replace" command.

The problem is, whenever I start up a campaign then, every script is broken. No mercenaries, no "Welcome from the team", no prompt to allow assassins, and seasons change each turn.

I have no idea why. I assume my blanket find and replace is somehow changing something else, but I haven't a clue what it could be.

Then, with descr_strat, I did basically the same thing with starting armies, except that turned out even worse. If I do that with descr_strat, the faction select screen only gives me two chaos factions, and if I try to select either, it simply sends me back to the main menu.

Prior to this I tried the same thing with the Orcs faction, replacing all of their arches with more Orc Boyz. Then, campaigns loaded as normal, except it always crashed on the Beastman turn (Why!?)

I am so confused.

I hate scripting.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Default Re: Altering starting and spawned armies.

Do it by hand, find and replace gets a bit whacky, you don't know what coding mistakes it'll make.

Also, use notepad++, not all the files have the same text formating. Notepad++ will preserve the text encoding, but it's a bit trickier to do with just notepad.