Thread: Who had the better military? Ottomans, Safavids, or Mughals?

Default Who had the better military? Ottomans, Safavids, or Mughals?

I personally believe that the Safavids are no match for the Ottomans' and Mughals' superior weapons, and cannons, for example the Ottomans made use of Abus Guns, Grand Bombards, and volley cannons and the Mughals used elephant artillery, and Tiger Mouth Cannons, just to name a few. In addition both the Ottomans and Mughals used gunpowder extensively to expand their empire, while the Safavids did not expand that far. The Ottoman military structure is also more superior to that of the Safavids since they had banners for different regiments and units, and also had some units wear uniforms (the first to do so after the Roman army) namely the Janissaries. Since the core of the Safavid army was its cavalry, it will stand no chance against the Ottoman artillery, and musketeers, or the Elephants and artillery of the Mughals.

Note: I know there were Safavid military reforms, but They don't match those of the Mughals and Ottomans.

Anyways so what do you guys think? who has the superior military? for me personally it is a tie between the Ottomans and Mughals.

Praeses

Default Re: Who had the better military? Ottomans, Safavids, or Mughals?

Umm Elephant Artillery? That was always beaten by the Romanov's bear cavalry.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Who had the better military? Ottomans, Safavids, or Mughals?

From the Vestigia Vetustatis Rules:

2. "X vs Y" threads are forbidden.

For example, "Napoleonic War-Era French Infantry Battalion vs USMC Infantry Squad". These threads serve no historical purpose at all and will not be tolerated in this forum. Posters wishing to engage in such fantasy matching of opponents may do so in the Thema Devia. A word of warning, however: Thema Devia Mods will start closing these threads if they become too prevalent.