Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Royal Coronation of Julien I (And a summary of the First Crusade)

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default The Royal Coronation of Julien I (And a summary of the First Crusade)

The Coronation of Julien de Baalun, 1099 AD

The First Crusade had been a success that was celebrated in every Church throughout Christendom. Though the news did not reach Rome before the death of Urban II, the mastermind behind the First Crusade, his successor, Pope Paschal II, would speak noble and pious words to those who succeeded in the Levant, showering them with honorary titles and riches for their pious deeds. Though despite the celebration, those who endured its trials were more grateful to God than anyone else. For the crusading nobles had seen those who followed them into the heat and sand of the Levant die of thirst, starvation and in the thick of battle.

Antioch was the first to fall and it would become the home of Stephen of Aumale, now self-proclaimed Prince of Antioch and its minor holdings. Lady Annalisa Borsa broke away from the Crusaders after Antioch and managed to carve her own domain around Edessa, where was proclaimed Countess of its holdings. Despite the departure of those two crusaders, the lumbering army continued southward, under the leadership of Julien de Baalun. They entered defeats and victories as they entered the Levant and, from there, all the way to Jerusalem. Along the way, Carlos Salvador Santana, like Prince Stephen and Countess Annalisa, would claim Tripoli and surrounding areas as his prize for the Crusade, proclaiming it the County of Tripoli. Yet the greatest prize still awaited those that remained, the holy city of Jerusalem.

In the year 1099 AD, Jerusalem would fall after a prolonged siege. The host that remained under Julien de Baalun, though battered and weary, took to the streets and made the stones run with the blood of many. Jews and Muslims alike were slaughtered by the greedy Crusaders that looked for treasures to claim. Christian Churches and communities locked their doors and turned a deaf ear to the screams of those who were slaughtered. It was even said that crusading soldiers would cut open the bellies of those running away just to find gold and gems that may have been swallowed. The massacre lasted for days without any hopes of ending. Yet it did one morning when the sun rose over the blood-soaked walls of Jerusalem. Once the violence had died down, an election began to see who would become the ruler of Jerusalem, the greatest prize of all within the Levant. Despite his support, Robert Curthouse lost his bid for the crown. In anger for his loss, the Norman would return to England while the rest continued to debate. It took three days before the council elected Julien de Baalun, who won the bid through backroom deals and the Frankish support, to be the ruler of Jerusalem. Upon that day, Julien proclaimed the establishment of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

A week passed before the coronation was prepared. Invitations were sent to the nobles who swore oaths of fealty to Julien as the rightful King of Jerusalem as well as the other Crusader States within the Levant. Much discussion was made on where to host the coronation until it was ultimately chosen to be hosted within the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem and Prince-Archbishop of Nablus, a Scot by the name of William Leitch, oversaw the ceremony itself as the appointed authority of the Latin Church of the Levant, due to the distance from the See of Rome. His appearance in the Holy Lands makes nobles wonder whether he was sent by Rome or perhaps was a lowly clergymen who came along with the crusading forces. Nonetheless, William was shown favor by Julien and granted not only land and title, but also a weight of support that rose the Scot up to the position of Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem.

Nobles filled the church and roamed around the courtyards as they waited for the ceremony to begin. Julien de Baalun was not seen among those present as the Frenchmen was preparing for his coronation. Under a watchful guard, Julien's two children were present, yet the absence of his wife was noted by those gathered. It was odd that the wife of the King was missing. Nonetheless the atmosphere was pious and the attitude of the crowd gathered was joyous and hopeful.

LET'S GET THIS RESTART STARTED!!!
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 08, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: The Royal Coronation of Julien I (And a summary of the First Crusade)

Maelcoilum Of Scotland sat on a bench and watched people hustle and bustle, laugh and sing. They were about to crown the first King of Jerusalem after all. He hardly believed they had managed it. They had gone from the very tip of Antolia, to Antioch and then marched straight down to Jerusalem, it was truly a remarkable victory.

Malcolm rose from his bench, adjusted his sword belt into a more comfortable position and then set off into the crowd, hoping to find someone to talk to.

Default Re: The Royal Coronation of Julien I (And a summary of the First Crusade)

Stephen had rode south when he had received news of the immediate coronation. A hundred Norman knights had rode south, flying the banners of their Prince. Travelling through Tripoli and Gallilee, the small force had arrived in Jerusalem the day before the scheduled event. Now the Normans crammed into the Holy Sepulchre, with Stephen looking around for those he recognised who had survived this ordeal in the Holy Land.

With a amused grin, Malcolm recognized Aumale, a man he counted among his friends. He walked towards him, hoping to greet the new Prince of Antioch.

Aumale smiles politely in recognition as Malcolm approaches, inclining his head.

"Malcolm of Alba. 'Tis good to see you, seigneur."
    Aumale said, before laughing slightly.

Malcolm nods cheerfully.

"And you Prince Stephan!"

Malcolm intones, meaning to be flippant rather than formal.

"How are things in your new demense?"

Quote Originally Posted by Skylord_Conor21 View Post
    Malcolm nods cheerfully.

"And you Prince Stephan!"

Malcolm intones, meaning to be flippant rather than formal.

"How are things in your new demense?"
    "Antioch keeps well, Malcolm. It is rich, although it is filled with Greeks and Saracens."

He chuckles, mimicking an expression of disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by Eredin View Post
    "Antioch keeps well, Malcolm. It is rich, although it is filled with Greeks and Saracens."

He chuckles, mimicking an expression of disgust.
    Malcolm pretends to shudder.

"The Saracens are not so bad, heathens as they may be, but at least they are honest! I find these Greeks to be boy loving vipers! Look at their Emperor and that stunt he pulled at Nicaea. European blood spilled to take the city, and he just whisked it from beneath out noses!"

Malcolm looks about and then grins.

"What does it matter though? We are finally here! Jerusalem itself! To think we could actually manage to take the greatest city in Christendom!"

Grinning wolfishly in turn, Aumale nodded in agreement.

"Aye, though I fear it has been ruined by us savage crusaders."

Pausing for a moment as a thought crossed his mind, Aumale continued;

"Do you have lands of your own, Malcolm?"

Malcolm laughed before answering.

"My title is Duke Malcolm of Jaffa. Seeing as Jaffa is in enemy hands, I'm all but the Lord of Ramla until we take Jaffa. Still, not a bad dukedom for a knight to gain, even if it is in title only."

A wolflike look shot through Malcolm's eyes.

"In title only for now, at least..."

"Jaffa will be a wealthy duchy, Malcolm. You are a lucky man."

Aumale replied, sincerely, but smirked and added;

"Though you will have to take it from the Saracens first."

Malcolm rolled his eyes jokingly.

"I'll simply shout:
    Look a pig! Run for your lives!
    And they will flee the city."

He said with a laugh.

Aumale laughed, but truly, he did not understand the joke. He knew nothing of Saracens, really; he had not bothered to learn much of their queer customs. In Antioch, he had simply let them be, and they were happy enough with that.

"Well best of luck to you Malcolm. I hope you take your lands in due course."

Malcolm clapped Stephan on the shoulder and bid him well, before strolling off through the crowd again.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Lady Annalisa had rode south when she had received news of the immediate coronation. Hundred knights of Italian ancestry accompanied her along the long journey, flying the banners of the County of Edessa. After a long journney the countess and her knights arrived in Jeruzalem and rode to the holy sepulchre . She looked for others whom she may recognize from the journeys in the past
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Robert de Caen, the young prince of Galilee was among the gathered noblemen; as the first and foremost vassal of Jerusalem stood prominent on their ranks, the sole princely title of the Holy Land besides his cousin of Aumale. He dressed accordingly to his status, in the Norman fashion. However, he used silk and light garments, compared to the heavier robes of his homeland with a harsh weather compared to the Levant's mild conditions.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Citizen

After some time, the throngs of people parted as Julien came out of a rear corridor within the Church. Many nobles bowed to the bastard-turned-King, who held royal blood within his veins, even if it was smeared by a bastard birth. Julien seemed more refreshed than after the Siege of Jerusalem and the end of the First Crusade. His wounds were healing though some would leave scars. His face was cleansed of blood, dirt and sand. His hair washed and groomed. His tunic was a white mantle with a golden cross upon his chest, the newly risen heraldry for the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Julien would pause at the guards protecting his children and greet them happily and fatherly, causing some nobles to clap nearby.

After he saw his children, Julien would mingle among the crowds of nobles, both those who followed him into the Crusade and those recently arrived from the European mainland.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 09, 2015 at 06:15 PM.

Malcolm moved forwards towards Julien. He had a rank of some sort in the eyes of these Europeans now, even if it was in title only. He bowed deeply.

"Congratulations, Your Grace. The first Catholic King of Jerusalem. I am glad I lived through the hell of the First Crusade to see the day."

Citizen

Julien turns to Sir Malcolm, or rather, Duc de Jaffa. The Scot had been promised lands outside of his domain, but was still given a holding at Ramla, where he was known as Lord of Ramla. The King hoped to fulfill his promise soon enough with the coronation within sight and his new realm strong and well-stocked with capable soldiers and nobles. He nodded his head at Malcolm.

It is good to see you have made it from your home in Ramla. I hope it is fulfilling your needs in the mean time until the banners can be raised and our armies march for the coast once more.

MuttonChops's Avatar Praepositus

Grandmaster Tristran de Bazin, of the newly minted Knights Vigilants rode hard after taking ship to Tripoli to reach the coronation. He was admittedly tired, and sought the buffet table, quietly parting from his contingent of Norman and French knights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast