Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'am Planning to make to Make a LOTR Mod for M2TW.

Default I'am Planning to make to Make a LOTR Mod for M2TW.

I planning to make a mod for M2TW called "War for the Ring Total War" (not based on the game War of the Ring.) the Factions are:
    Dwarves
    Hobbits
    Mirkwood Elves
    Lorein Elves
    Noldir Elves
    Gondor
    Rohan
    Mordor
    Isenguard
    Anror
    Numenor
    Angmar
    Gobin Horde
    Rhun
    Harad
    Dunland
    And last but not least, Rebels

Default Re: I'am Planning to make to Make a LOTR Mod for M2TW.

Good luck.
    A spell check on those faction names would be good though; here are some corrected names:

Lorien Elves
    Noldor Elves (note that in the Third Age there were hardly any Noldor in Middle Earth and these lived in Rivendell)
    Isengard
    Arnor (I'm guessing you do mean Arnor, there is no such thing as "Anror"; also, the Kingdom of Arnor disapeared long before the War of the Ring)
    Númenor (there was no Númenor in the Third Age)
    Goblin Horde (I'm guessing you mean the Goblins of Moria here)
    Rhûn

If you need any help in keeping the setting faithful to the books drop me a line.
    浪人 - 二天一

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

moved to gathering
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

More interesting would be something like what the Fourth Age team is doing which won't require all the obstacles of basing a mod on the specific LOTR books

Quote Originally Posted by Manji View Post
    Good luck.
    A spell check on those faction names would be good though; here are some corrected names:

Lorien Elves
    Noldor Elves (note that in the Third Age there were hardly any Noldor in Middle Earth and these lived in Rivendell)
    Isengard
    Arnor (I'm guessing you do mean Arnor, there is no such thing as "Anror"; also, the Kingdom of Arnor disapeared long before the War of the Ring)
    Númenor (there was no Númenor in the Third Age)
    Goblin Horde (I'm guessing you mean the Goblins of Moria here)
    Rhûn

If you need any help in keeping the setting faithful to the books drop me a line.

I'am going to see If I can make A second age and thrid age modes. Also I'am looking for pepole willing to help me, that know the book well. And can help me make new units, animations, and a new Middle-Earth map.
    Last edited by Gondor Warrior; November 24, 2006 at 04:53 PM.

I will say good luck, but I see no chance for this to work, unfortunately. As someone who has worked on a Middle-earth mod for over two years, I can tell you that you are aiming too high. It is an absolutely staggering amount of work that has to be done, and unless you are a modding genious, or can assemble a massive team (a much larger team that even FATW had in its glory days, which approached 30 people), you will have to be prepared to mod for literally years.

I know what i have to do, but I will work hard. I already done some conspet art for most of the factions. But I need to know were I can get 3ds Max for free.

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

max is not a free program
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Default Re: I'am Planning to make to Make a LOTR Mod for M

My friend, getting 3d max for free is very good and all, but you also need to know how to use it. It's an incredibly complex program that takes ages of studying. But even if you are a max expert, most of the artwork is done via skins considering that there are already humaniod models ingame, so you'll need to know how to texture as well.

Beyond that, there are a whole range of skills required to go into making a complex mod such as things, go ask one of the existing LOTR mods if they need your help, that's probably a better idea.
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

Darn.... I guess I'll try...

Quote Originally Posted by spirit_of_rob View Post
    max is not a free program

Actually it is, you can use it for 30 days for free and simply re instal, and reuse for 30 days for free.

edit 1
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Sun View Post
    My friend, getting 3d max for free is very good and all, but you also need to know how to use it. It's an incredibly complex program that takes ages of studying. But even if you are a max expert, most of the artwork is done via skins considering that there are already humaniod models ingame, so you'll need to know how to texture as well.

Beyond that, there are a whole range of skills required to go into making a complex mod such as things, go ask one of the existing LOTR mods if they need your help, that's probably a better idea.
    Yep all those free online tutorials on how to use it are only the beggining of of how to use it, and get what you want from it, and i gather CA have changed the format so as to make existing animations unusable with METW without considerable work on them, so your at step one for every unit, which at least means a vast amount of work before you can even consider the mutitude of other problems.

edit 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondor Warrior View Post
    Darn.... I guess I'll try...

Rather like life, better to try and fail, but learn by the trying, than to do what others tell you you can or cannot achieve and not waste your time by trying.

use edit button instead of triple posting:wink:
    Last edited by vikrant; November 25, 2006 at 05:23 AM.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

people here are not trying to discourage him they are making him aware of the situation
    total conversion projects are quite ambitious and require months to be completed .
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Quote Originally Posted by vikrant1986 View Post
    people here are not trying to discourage him they are making him aware of the situation
    total conversion projects are quite ambitious and require months to be completed .
    I am not sure I know of a TC that has taken less than a year to finish.

And I agree; I do not want to ruin someone's dreams, but the best help you can give at this stage is an accurate representation of how much work it actually is, and what kind of skills would be involved. MasterOfNone/Palantir/Dol Guldur (our Coding Manager for Corsair Invasion) estimated that it took at least 3000 man hours to get to a v1.0 release of CI, from Jan. 06 to Nov. 06 (and we already had a lot of work done). I think that number may well be higher.
    Last edited by Amroth; November 25, 2006 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vikrant1986 View Post
    Maybe they are. Guy has 12 posts and calls himself Gondor. Seems like a rush of the moment idea that popped up. And a bad one, too. Does the world need a me-too LOTR mod for Total War? Not really. There is a fine one for RTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Immacolata View Post
    Maybe they are. Guy has 12 posts and calls himself Gondor. Seems like a rush of the moment idea that popped up. And a bad one, too. Does the world need a me-too LOTR mod for Total War? Not really. There is a fine one for RTW.

Well, to correct you I have been planning this for a year, I have about over 30 conspet arts, and I have been reading the books like crazy, and that incudes the Hobbit.And I aslo asked to use John Howe's Symboals from the War of the ring Board Game. And I have been trying to plan a new type of campain system! . So been alittle kinder please.

Gondor Warrior, no one is saying it can't be done, people are just trying to actually warn you that such endeavor it might become very frustrating.
    If you do want to go ahead with it I suggest you start recruiting people to do it and try to start ASAP.

Good Luck.
    浪人 - 二天一

I would be willing to support this project if I felt it had the minutest chance of success - as it is now, I don't. It may be that I would feel different if the first post contained more info, plans, ideas, research, design, etc. As it is now, the first post does nothing to convince me that this is a viable project:

- there is no info on what the modding skills of the threadstarter / mod leader are.
    - there is no info on what the research, lore, and design skills of the threadstarter / mod leader are.
    - there is no info on what, if any, work has been already done.
    - there is no info on the plans & ideas the threadstarter / mod leader might have for the development of the mod.
    - the faction list does not make sense in relation to the name of the mod, 'War of the Ring' - many of the factions listed were not around during the WR (and many of them are spelled incorrectly).
    - the mod is too ambitious; not only does it seem to be a War of the Ring mod, but a Second Age mod as well.

If you are really serious about this (and by serious I mean willing to spend much time over at least 18 to 24 months on this mod), then I suggest you spend some of that time on crafting an introductory post which has in it at least some of the points I listed above. That will help you in attracting potential team members, and the interest of the community.

Yeah okay, sorry for being a d*ck. Why didn't you say that right away? Its stuff like that which makes people think "okay this guy knows a little about what he is doing".

Just a warning....

I was part of the Middle Earth mod for morrowind, a huge project that was ongoing for quite a while - until the Tolkien estate stepped in and shut down the project.

I heard it was more a matter of you contacting TE, which basically gave them no other option than shutting you down. I have also heard, from a couple of guys (at least one of them claimed to have been a member of the team), that it was a convenient excuse for the team (or some of the team) to use to shut it down because of internal problems. Either way, getting shut down is a minute possibility, IMO.

Of course, you may know more about this than me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast