Thread: EB I's AI: what am I doing wrong?

Marso's Avatar Foederatus

Icon9 EB I's AI: what am I doing wrong?

The title says it all.
    I play, i form an alliace, me and my ally we are happy. Next turn my ally betrays and attacks me. Why? I don't expect a '100 years alliance, but at least a little bit of loyalty and peace. 2 I conquered, as Rome, all Carthago's lands in africa, they only have 2 cities in spain but they keep recruiting: how? And why they simply stack their units together without attack? They don't even attack rebel cities. Other factions do the same. Then i've also noticed that other factions don't recruit ships: not even one

I wonder: why? i always active the script by clicking on the advisor but... nothing seems to change, even with a lower difficulty.

I don't have any other mod, only eb1.

PS One thing always happens when i play as Sabyn: the ai randomly gives me some land: yesterday, during ai turn i received (without any message) Petra. The next turn Egypt (my ally) attacked Petra. I don't even got the "Batrayed!" message...
    Another time happened the same, but instead of Petra i got Meroe (?), a city south of egypt.

Is there a fix for this ai?

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: EB I's AI: what am I doing wrong?

PS One thing always happens when i play as Sabyn: the ai randomly gives me some land: yesterday, during ai turn i received (without any message) Petra. The next turn Egypt (my ally) attacked Petra. I don't even got the "Batrayed!" message...
    Another time happened the same, but instead of Petra i got Meroe (?), a city south of egypt.
    Do not sure if I am able properly address your other points but at least I can explain you the qouted issue. The situation is caused by "rebelion to the faction". Certain regions in the game are codded that way that when the region is conquert by the faction which is not able to hold high ebnough level of public order/happiness region rebels but not to the regular rebel/slave (eleutheroi in EB) faction but to the faction which is codded in the mod files as cultural owner/creator of the region. So what I think happend in your case is that Egypt conquered Petra/Meroe (both regions historicly had trade and/or cultural ties with Sabyn) but the city rebeled (during the AI turn of course), since the Sabyn was presumably codded in as the creator of those regions (because the above mentioned reasons) the regions rebeled to Sabyn and war was decalred in the same AI turn. Imagine that regional rebels ask you for your protection and that way you get involved in the conglict with another faction (something that Mamertines did asking Rome for protection when the city get occupied by Carthaginian garrison which subseqeuntly lead to the major war between two western meditarean superpowers known as the first punic war). Unfortunatelly there is no way for a player to denounce the support to the rebels if the feel not strong enough to back up them against the invader.

Ryoga84's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Marso View Post
    The title says it all.
    I play, i form an alliace, me and my ally we are happy. Next turn my ally betrays and attacks me. Why? I don't expect a '100 years alliance, but at least a little bit of loyalty and peace.
    Diplomatic behavior isn't really good in RTW. For mantaining an alliance you need one or more of the following situations (my experience):
    -mantain a full stack near the border with the "ally" faction (essentially, block every access they can have to your cities)
    -don't share borders with you allies (ie. with Rome ally with Lusitanian against Carthage or with Koinon Hellenon against Makedonia/Epeiros so you can send them help while making your way to the enemy lands)
    -don't be the Evil Galactic Empire (if you are the more extended faction, other factions tend to attack you)

and, obviously, beware scripted events (like the Celtiberian-Lusitanian alliance)

2 I conquered, as Rome, all Carthago's lands in africa, they only have 2 cities in spain but they keep recruiting: how? And why they simply stack their units together without attack?
    the AI receive gold help every turn, not too much but still a lot
    the idea is "you have your brain, the AI got money"

They don't even attack rebel cities. Other factions do the same.
    AI attack preference are (my experience):
    -Factions they are at war
    -Player's Faction
    -Winning Condition regions
    -Bordering undefended territories (indipendent or faction)
    -Bordering defended territories (indipendent or faction)

Then i've also noticed that other factions don't recruit ships: not even one
    Sadly, that's a problem of RTW engine. But is not true for all factions. While playing with Koinon Hellenon I got a lot of seleucid assaults on Rhodes.
    Maritime factions usually recruit some ships, but is always a secondary choice; land units come firsts. I suppose this is a problem of costs/balancing, but at the moment I dont have time for tests

I wonder: why? i always active the script by clicking on the advisor but... nothing seems to change, even with a lower difficulty.

I don't have any other mod, only eb1.
    It's not a problem of difficulty, that work only on balancing the monetary/battle/insurrection parts of the game.

Is there a fix for this ai?
    what Nicator said,
    the Ptoly probably conquered Petra or Meroe, then said city rebelled and instead of going back to indipendent, ask "protection" to a faction they have historical close ties (you).
    As another example, there are some scripted events that do the same for the Koinon Hellenon, making half of the greek cities in mediterranean sea to rebel, join them and thus making the KH wage war against the whole world.
    Last edited by Ryoga84; November 08, 2015 at 08:33 AM.
    ====== "Worst English User" 2012/2014 Award Winner =======
    ===========Running for the 2015, support me.===========
    Uchronia Barbarorum v1.05 , ahistorical submod for Europa Barbarorum 1.2 WiP
    Another Story: The Greek Wars v1.0 , submod for The Greek Wars 1.1 WiP
    4th Age +1, v1.0 , submod for Fourth Age: Total War 2.6 WiP

Thank you both, your answer are really usefull.

Ps i forgot a thing: do you know that is possible to install eb II along with other mods? I mean other mods like bellum crucis or third age total war. Thank you thank you thank you

EB2 is for RTW2 so you should ask in EB2 forum. As a general rule, if they are modfoldered they can be installed without messing with each other

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga84 View Post
    EB2 is for MTW2 so you should ask in EB2 forum. As a general rule, if they are modfoldered they can be installed without messing with each other
    Corrected, and yes, the mod is modfoldered so you just follow the install instructions and worry not

yay, sorry
    I was half-asleep

Forgive me for posting on the wrong forum, but i was afraid that none would have answered me in other places (ie i wrote to eb staff on twitter but i got no answer).
    Thank you for this really good news and sorry again.
    «Nec sine marsis nec contra marsos triumphari posse»
    - Appian of Alexandria

No prob, the staff in the EB2 forum is present and that forum is usually thriving (unlike us ), so you shouldn't have problems.