Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why atheists are the biggest islamophobes

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Why atheists are the biggest islamophobes

So from time to time this guy posts videos on youtube. He is a well known British atheist comedian who, just like Richard Dawkins, has attacked many times christianity in the past. Lately, just like Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris he has stopped attacking Christianity and he is focusing on islam. Watching his videos is sad because they are not humorous and they are nothing more than racist rants against muslims in general. I do have a sense that one of the driving reasons for these attacks against islam and muslims is the fact that these people feel guilty for their attitude towards christianity. So instead of accepting they were wrong, they attack islam and muslims in an even harsher way

Default Re: Why atheists are the biggest islamophobes

More likely because in the last 20 years or so terrorists killing in the name of Jesus have limited themselves to bombing abortion clinics. Muslim terrorists have a much more spectacular track record.

All religions are dangerous because they encourage people to be disconnected from reality. So one way to asses the relative risk they pose to the survival of the species is to look at the body count they generate.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    [YOUTUBE]uws9BlnJmjI[YOUTUBE]

So from time to time this guy posts videos on youtube. He is a well known British atheist comedian who, just like Richard Dawkins, has attacked many times christianity in the past. Lately, just like Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris he has stopped attacking Christianity and he is focusing on islam. Watching his videos is sad because they are not humorous and they are nothing more than racist rants against muslims in general. I do have a sense that one of the driving reasons for these attacks against islam and muslims is the fact that these people feel guilty for their attitude towards christianity. So instead of accepting they were wrong, they attack islam and muslims in an even harsher way
    We don't deny our blood links to the Crusades. We're just too honest.

But seriously...I shall get popcorn and enjoy this thread....

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

probably because islam arguably has the most problem with fundamentalism and is the most active religion when it comes to political theism. with 9/11 and the rise of terrorism, the arab spring, and the migrant crisis, islam has come into the global spotlight and it makes sense that more atheists would be focusing more on islam, especially commercially-minded atheists who realize there is a bigger market for criticizing islam than criticizing christianity in their domestic markets.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

It's not so much a racist ran against Muslims in general so much as it is a call to acknowledge the cowardice of Swedish journalism in general and the problem of rising rape rates in Sweden thanks in part to the increased presence of Middle Eastern and North African immigrants.

Praeses

Nasty rant. Can he back up his claim 25% of Swedish women will be raped by Muslim men? Probably not I'm guessing, just sounds like a populist flog campaigner if you ask me.

From a sample of what, three, you are asserting some nonsense? Poor show.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

So your basing this entire discussion based on a single video of youtube?
    Besides I "dislike" all religions equally...actually Hinduism and Sikhism aren't too bad, so I just dislike the "big three" equally.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dromikaites View Post
    More likely because in the last 20 years or so terrorists killing in the name of Jesus have limited themselves to bombing abortion clinics. Muslim terrorists have a much more spectacular track record.

All religions are dangerous because they encourage people to be disconnected from reality. So one way to asses the relative risk they pose to the survival of the species is to look at the body count they generate.
    This.

And let's be clear, if atheist were ''racist'' as the OP claims, they'd probably live in isolated communities because realistically 90% of the people they know are believers of some sort. Instead they just stick to pointing out the flaws of religious doctrines and their negative effects on reality.
    Let's also be clear that if you adhere to a religious doctrine and make it your most fundamental aspect of your life, and there are people that kill in the name of that religious doctrine, you should take a stance against them, because whether you like it or not, they kill in the name of your belief.

Criticizing Islam after having criticized Chrisistianity is just a logical step, it's not out of guilt. For an atheist to say that one is good while the other is bad wouldn't make any sense.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Dromikaites View Post
    That is not true. People who use religion as a pretext to bomb generally tend to suffer from a few genetic predispositions towards this kind of behavior and in the absence of religion they would use other pretexts to bomb , such as politics or race or nationality or sports. Religion is just one in a long cyclical list of pretexts for people to commit violence. Between the 1950s and 1980 it was politics. in the 1980s it was football. In the 1940s the main pretext was race, before that it was ethnicity, before that it was skin color. To blame religion is to blame the tool instead of the wielder, and throwing out religion will not fix anything since it will just be replaced by something new: what type of phone you use, what console you have, what corporation you like best, what you wear, there is an infinity of reason.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; November 08, 2015 at 06:53 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

-Conan the Barbarian-'s Avatar Vicarius

Watching his videos is sad because they are not humorous and they are nothing more than racist rants against muslims in general.
    Muslims aren't a race. They are cult members that adhere to a bunch of bad ideas known as Islam. It's pretty in racist to think that people are born muslim and cannot change this like their race.

Also Islamaphobe is such an idiotic term for people who hate / dislike Islam. As if hating a treasure trove of bad ideas is something akin to an uncontrollable fear of spiders.
    It has been surmised, that perhaps, my lord had become like a wild animal that had been kept too long. Perhaps, but whatever... freedom... so long an unremembered dream, was his.
    The children of Doom...Doom's children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Nasty rant. Can he back up his claim 25% of Swedish women will be raped by Muslim men? Probably not I'm guessing, just sounds like a populist flog campaigner if you ask me.
    The authorities in Sweden stopped doing that because it was profiling, but looking at the dramatic increase in rapes with the dramatic increase of immigration from Islamic countries. Go to a Swedish prison and you'll find the about 80 to90% are not white Swedes. Even in Germany with the massive influx of Muslim that certain German towns are warning their females to take more care outside. Isn't that really blaming the victims not the perpertators?

Any the word "Islamophobe" is one of the worst made up words ever.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    The authorities in Sweden stopped doing that because it was profiling, but looking at the dramatic increase in rapes with the dramatic increase of immigration from Islamic countries. Go to a Swedish prison and you'll find the about 80 to90% are not white Swedes. Even in Germany with the massive influx of Muslim that certain German towns are warning their females to take more care outside. Isn't that really blaming the victims not the perpertators?

So no facts. Cool.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

The dramatic increase in reported rapes is a statistical anomaly, caused by changes in recording procedure (ie, Sweden records each occurrence separately, whereas most other countries group occurrences between the same victim and perpetrator as a single record), broader definitions (acts that would be considered non-rape sexual assault are counted as rape in Sweden), and high satisfaction with the Swedish justice system (which leads to a lower percentage of rapes going unreported, and thus more reports)

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    I concur. The suffix -phobia is meant to signify an irrational, paralysing fear. Given the things that had been done in the name of Islam, a certain level of fear and/or wariness is quite rational, mind you.

However, what's worse than the word are the people using it.
    börk börk

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrazine View Post
    I concur. The suffix -phobia is meant to signify an irrational, paralysing fear. Given the things that had been done in the name of Islam, a certain level of fear and/or wariness is quite rational, mind you.
    Quite often criticism of Islam is valid and rational. Pat Condell's on the other hand are quite irrational, often. Being reduced to that level of fear caused irrationality that can occasionally be called Islamophobic.
    But obviously, "Islamophobe" is slung around so often, so unnecessarily, its meaning is lost on many.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well with more people comeing to their senses in Europe, where in most countries church and state are seperate and people are finally getting to break free from christian influence, I think the last thing they'd want is another religion becomeing dominant and bossing them around. Especially if its one that stands against the values of your country.

Personly I am just fed up with religions period. I dont care for their excuses, I don't care for saying that its only certain groups that do this or that. I'd want them to keep their racist faith as far away from me as possible. We already have christianity over here which is bad enough.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    This.

And let's be clear, if atheist were ''racist'' as the OP claims, they'd probably live in isolated communities because realistically 90% of the people they know are believers of some sort. Instead they just stick to pointing out the flaws of religious doctrines and their negative effects on reality.
    Let's also be clear that if you adhere to a religious doctrine and make it your most fundamental aspect of your life, and there are people that kill in the name of that religious doctrine, you should take a stance against them, because whether you like it or not, they kill in the name of your belief.

Criticizing Islam after having criticized Chrisistianity is just a logical step, it's not out of guilt. For an atheist to say that one is good while the other is bad wouldn't make any sense.
    Criticizing Islam is something. Labelling all immigrants as rapists is something else. The second is racism. Its obvious that Pat Condell belongs to the category of white man that things that because his skin is white, he is superior compared to "inferior", "third world", black or brown people

Labelling all immigrants as rapists is something else. The second is racism.
    If one atheist says it than all do?

That's pretty on the level with atheophobism yourself.

All that's needed to be said to you has been said, really.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Criticizing Islam is something. Labelling all immigrants as rapists is something else.
    Who does that and when? Source needed.

The second is racism. Its obvious that Pat Condell belongs to the category of white man that things that because his skin is white, he is superior compared to "inferior", "third world", black or brown people
    Yeah, obvious from what? Source please.

Also, your OP sucks. It's built on assertions and no facts.
    I can also say from my personal experience that the biggest Islamophobes are actually those who use that word most often (including Muslims who do that), because they are secretly scared less of Islam, its god, and/or its followers and want to avoid being the target of a religiously induced retaliation measure at all costs. That's why they lash out at dissenters, apostates, and atheists.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast