Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ash vs Evil Dead

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Ash vs Evil Dead

Trailer - Contains gore, naughty words and all that good shnizzle....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

IMDB.

Much like 'Black Jesus' and 'Z Nation' I'm not sure this would get enough interest for a dedicated thread, but it's a slow day at work. Fans of the original movies were probably (like me) disappointed by the recent remake which completely missed the humour of the originals. So maybe like me, you'll be most pleased with the TV show.

Bruce Campbell returns as 'Ash' the one armed (not counting the chain saw) shotgun toting hero who can't seem to go a day without putting his foot firmly in the mouth of some vengeful demonic force. He's 30 years older and wiser as his initial reaction to the return of Evil is to get out of town as fast as possible. Those who aren't familiar with the original movies should know that quality plot lines, effects, and dialogue are really not the point. Evil Dead is comedy schlock horror at it's best, though not for every one.

Or as Ash would say - 'Groovy Baby.'

The Evil Dead.
    Evil Dead 2 - Which was pretty much a remake of the first movie.
    Army of Darkness.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; November 05, 2015 at 06:14 AM.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Ash vs Evil Dead

They put the whole first episode on Facebook for free and as someone who has never seen any of the Evil Dead films, I loved how cheesy it was. I'll get around to watching those movies eventually.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

"...like a quarterback on prom night."

LOL. The legendary Bruce Campbell, ladies and gentlemen, has not aged a day in his own mind since 1980. Long may he reign in Edoras...er...hail to the king baby. Yeah, that's it. He was great in Burn Notice too. Truly the man is an inspiration for anyone over the age of 50.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

oh gawd, i love it

and it has been renewed for a second season - BEFORE THE PREMIERE!

Oh if only I had Stars. Wonder what happened to the robo-knight hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Oh if only I had Stars. Wonder what happened to the robo-knight hand.
    Come on bro...what do you think he's doing with it?

I'll just quote him out of context from the pilot episode that you need to see: "You like that? Huh? YOU LIKE MY WOOD?"

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    oh gawd, i love it

and it has been renewed for a second season - BEFORE THE PREMIERE!
    Naturally. Even the douchy, out-of-touch corporate Starz execs took one look at this Raimi masterpiece and were sold on the idea. That's how awesome it is. I can't wait for the second episode!

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

The scenes with the cop were a little boring, and I am despairing at the shortened run time, but the dinner party was magnificent.

Ash: Oh. Good. I was starting to feel like a dick'.
    And:

Mother: Why are you covered in blood?
    Ash - Erm.. we hit a deer on the way up here, and when I tried to pull it out of the grille of my car, the sucker just exploded all over us so we had to cut it up with my chainsaw... arm.
    Father: I'm actually a hunter. I've never seen a deer explode.
    Ash: Well, maybe you're not hunting the right deer.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; November 08, 2015 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    The scenes with the cop were a little boring, and I am despairing at the shortened run time, but the dinner party was magnificent.

And:
    Agreed, although I did like that initial scene in the speeding car with Deep Purple's "Highway Star" blasting on the radio while Ash was assaulted from the backseat. Pretty intense. I thought that whole segment was well done. Also, that tension at the dinner table was great.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I believe the scene in the dinner was hilarious and could have been expanded a bit more with Ash insisting that her mother is dead while incapable of proving it. I am not fond of the actors though. I found them too ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    I believe the scene in the dinner was hilarious and could have been expanded a bit more with Ash insisting that her mother is dead while incapable of proving it. I am not fond of the actors though. I found them too ordinary
    I'm not fond of the girl because she has that kind of hoarse voice which drives me crazy. I like the interplay between Ash and Pablo, though. It'd be better if it was just those two.

Blog Entries

It's one of those shows that might be better binge watched, especially with only 30 mins an episode. Some of the one liners flash by and sometimes the delay between a deadite attack and the kill is being over done, be nice if Ash just killed them sometimes without the extra camera angles.

But otherwise it's a show that's still hard to believe was made...

Has anyone watched the latest episodes? I thought they were okay, but not overly exciting or innovative. Ash has some really good lines as usual, though.

Blog Entries

I need to catch up, been distracted by other shows.

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

I think about this series that they are ok ( i've watched only one movie about evil dead before) but one thing in it is annoying-that jewish girl(i am not antisemite) i hope Ash will finish her quicly...

Quote Originally Posted by T&D View Post
    I think about this series that they are ok ( i've watched only one movie about evil dead before) but one thing in it is annoying-that jewish girl(i am not antisemite) i hope Ash will finish her quicly...
    It's okay if you dislike someone who's Jewish. That doesn't automatically make you an anti-Semite. For instance, I hate Bernie Madoff and I hope he suffers while in prison. I think most people would agree, yet most people don't subscribe to anti-Semitism.

I feel like the last two episodes have dipped quality-wise, but it's still a good show and I never tire of Bruce Campbell.

campbell has always been the main appeal to me. evil dead, or horror camp in general, isnt my cup, but im quite amazed how much fun i have with the tv adaptation of a b-movie.

After seing the 7th episode i start to feel a bit dissapointed. There are a couple of funny moments and the direction is ok but i dislike the actors. Unfortunatelly this includes Bruce Campbell. My ideal Ash is the Ash from army of darkness. He certainly is not that kind of Ash. Lucy Lawless seems out of place. I hate the two chicks too.

just curious, why do you think ash is so different in AoD? sure, they play up the ladiesman, but there wasnt that much oppurtunity in the movie (he sure played when there was though), and oc he acts like a guys still in his twenties - but thats the point, he just hasnt grown up. which is in character too, he wasnt exactly acting his age when he was twenty.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    just curious, why do you think ash is so different in AoD? sure, they play up the ladiesman, but there wasnt that much oppurtunity in the movie (he sure played when there was though), and oc he acts like a guys still in his twenties - but thats the point, he just hasnt grown up. which is in character too, he wasnt exactly acting his age when he was twenty.
    In AoD he was a badass somehow overconfident character that committed mistakes. The current Ash seems tired and not much interesting. He is not the hero but just another character

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast