Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The day the forum died

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Default The day the forum died

What the hell is going on with total war?, this is the first time I have felt like total war has died. The forum is quiet the game is getting old, the DLC even older. I know CA have always had the hidden agenda thing but I feel this is getting ridiculous, they must have known not everyone would be into that total Warcraft game or whatever it is. Am I too spoilt to expect a new total war pc game announcement ?.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The day the forum died

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post
    What the hell is going on with total war?, this is the first time I have felt like total war has died. The forum is quiet the game is getting old, the DLC even older. I know CA have always had the hidden agenda thing but I feel this is getting ridiculous, they must have known not everyone would be into that total Warcraft game or whatever it is. Am I too spoilt to expect a new total war pc game announcement ?.
    Total war died with rome 2 , we are now in a post apocalyptic total war world.

The forum is quiet
    Noted that too.

Don´t know why, only can guess. It probably has to do with the fact that the new Fantasy trilogy does leave some essential part of the historical crowd behind?

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Well, really with a tweaked AI, a full GC would be a new game for Attila, but this place will pick right up when Charlemagne is announced. I also think it's the history crowd being turned off by Warhammer, the first TW game I won't be buying, basically because it's fantasy, even though it's well implemented.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    Warhammer, the first TW game I won't be buying, basically because it's fantasy, even though it's well implemented.
    Same for me, be it well-made or not, I´m just not into the Warhammer franchise, it´s not my cup of tea.

kambiz's Avatar Ordinarius

The disaster of Rome 2 that continued through Attila + this new fantasy title (regardless of how good or bad it might be) = Explains your question !

My opinion is that we are just a mirror: CA/SEGA stopped caring about us, left us behind and moved on to ripping us off and now we are paying them back, the only way we can, by leaving them to slowly go down to the dark hole where Ubisoft and EA is.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

It's the fault of CA's community policy more than their recent lackluster games. The fact of the matter is that they only ever show up on the forums once every few months right before they release a new DLC. I really wish that they could keep some kind of blog that where they would drop hints regarding what they're working on, what their future aims are, asking the community for input, etc. Half of the criticism for R2 and Attila would disappear if they simply engaged us and talked to us more...
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

In terms of CA coming here and discussing its games post-release beyond DLC announcements -- those days are over. Pretty sure they're done supporting Attila, although there could be another DLC. They're going to make another historical game and they'll announce it next summer. It will be released in 2017. Yes they appeared to promise simultaneous releases of historical and fantasy -- but they really meant simultaneous development which is a typical 1/2 truth coming from CA. I suspect 85% of staff is working on TW:WH right now. When that's done they'll move people back to the next historical game.

And it seems we won't be getting a new engine, at least not for four or five years. The TW:WH franchise is for three games that supposedly will fit together. That means three Warscape games. It's unlikely they'll make a historical game on a new engine unless they want to kill WH sales. So new engine game in 2019 or 2020 at the earliest, assuming annual releases of TW:WH.

SEGA probably feels it has a tremendous opportunity to make money with TW:WH with three iterations and a butt-ton of DLC. They've already sliced off one of the five WH races to make pre-order DLC and priced the "base game" in the UK at 50 pounds. None of this makes sense, unless you find out, what is going on in AAA world with titles like Halo, Battlefront, and sadly Deus Ex. Those games are taking pre-orders, dlc and micro-transactions to a new level. [Aside: I watched a play through of Battlefront and it seemed like a poor man's version of Red Orchestra 2 with nicer graphics]. The pricing is getting out of control, fed by kids with consoles. The publisher of a multiplayer shooter wants $60 up front and $50 for a season's pass. And/or micro-transactions. This isn't going to end well for the industry as it tries to condition consumers to spend large sums on games.

This is where SEGA and CA are trying to get to. But those console shooters are headed for a crash.
    Last edited by Huberto; November 04, 2015 at 07:38 AM.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

I wonder what the next historical game from CA will be, I guess it will be some time away due to warhammer, unless they have a separate team doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    I wonder what the next historical game from CA will be, I guess it will be some time away due to warhammer, unless they have a separate team doing it?
    The cheapest way would be Med3 for sure. The mechanics would be quite equal to the medieval-style-fantasy Warhammer game, just a small reskin necessary to get rid of the Fantasy Looks and produce historical medieval troops

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

well its the Rome 2 day one version and TW:Empire. The spam of DLC's and so on.

I 100% agree with this video

AAA Games(Total War after Empire) Are Not Aimed At the people entering TWC.

Last edited by FrozenmenSS; November 04, 2015 at 07:21 AM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    well its the Rome 2 day one version and TW:Empire. The spam of DLC's and so on.

I 100% agree with this video
    It's a nice attempt to explain things but the premise is wrong. Those games aren't being made with any gamer in mind, they're being made with the interests of the companies that make them in mind.

What's propping those games up for the time being is that those franchises or products were good entertainment at one point and people identify and invest in the series, much like we have with TW.

However, you can only strip so much content out and jack up prices so much and jerk people around with DLC and micro-transactions so much before people get tired and bored and there's a AAA crash. Add to that Devin's idea that TW fans are a silent majority of clueless teens that play all the AAA games (mostly on consoles) and it's a doubly faulty premise. Yes, there is a big audience for TW games, it's larger than niche, but it's not something with truly broad appeal like Star Wars or CoD.

SEGA's trying to push the TW franchise to a AAA space where the fanbase won't go. Although the WH fans may go there, at least for the first game.
    Last edited by Huberto; November 04, 2015 at 07:30 AM.

Laetus

the official forum is more active,
    but sorry i don't understand, i really enjoy Rome 2 and Attila i don't know why so many people hate it ,
    according to SteamChart Rome2 is also the most played TW ever so what's the problem too much nostalgy maybe ?
    it's not the historical issue cause rome 1 is not much accurate (egypt etc...)
    we can play a faction all around the ancient world, but i agree that in attila there's too much Germans
    the release was crap OK but now it is a really fine game, not perfect but really enjoyable no ?

TWC forums "died" sometime after release of RTW2. There were noting but rageposts everywhere. Even constructive debates turned to bashing, bashing and then some more bashing. After patch 6 or 7 first real improvements followed and then game got better and better by the time EE was released. At that point community pretty much divided and here on TWC most ppl still didnt forgive CA for deceiving them and thus ppl slowly went away. For me RTW2 is still a turd - just a polished one after EE release.

Attila didnt bring back lost playerbase because most ppl were of opinion that changes in Attila should be ported to RTW2 and that CA has obligation to do so. Thus Attila suffered greatly from the failure that RTW2 brought to the franchise. Suffering continued after release when the lack of patches and stupid DLC policy brought about bad memories from RTW2 again.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I would argue the process began with Empire and the negativity only escalated from there (but then again, I only showed up here around the time ETW came out so that is as far as my memory here goes). What I do remember from those days was the constant frustration with the Mod scene where it became increasingly difficult to build mods because of Warscape's unfriendliness to mods and the heart of TWC has always been the mod community. So fewer mods got made to the point only a small collection of highly-skilled and experienced modders were adding most of the new content. We can easily see this by going to the Hosted Mod forums for all the games going back to the Rome 1, where Medieval II and Rome have tons of mods but the number decreases once you get to Empire. So with less mods means fewer people to shop around for them, and even fewer modders to build new works of their own. The creativity began to die.

So with mods going away, all what people had to talk about was the vanilla game, and things quickly broke down to the point where all the forums from Empire to Attila became just a massive cesspit of negativity and criticism to the point that the situation just became a cycle of circular arguments as to why CA is bad. This drove away a lot of people who were sick of all the hate. We got a brief respite with Shogun 2 because of the degree of polish that game had, and for awhile I thought the forum might just heal itself, but after Rome 2 all hope is gone and all that is left is cynicism.

So in short, nobody comes here anymore because there is nothing new to expect besides bickering and arguments for no reason.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; November 04, 2015 at 10:32 AM.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/

- Much more unbiased and more active.

The game is the problem, not the forum. I came here from the official forums and I had noticed that before the Charlemagne leak, the official TWA forum was much less active than twcenter's. To put it simply, the game is not deep, popular and moddable enough to attract a customer for more than half a year. Interest rises temporarily after a DLC release, only to quickly go down after a week or two. It's not a coincidence that in both the official forums and twcenter, M2 forums are more active than those of every released Warscape game.

PrinceofPersia's Avatar Tiro

There are a few factors which need to be considered.

1) The Rome 2 Facade, out right lies (oh this is pre pre alpha!) and glorious marketing videos, hyping the game so much, yet the deliverence was so pathetic.
    2)The DLC whoring - this has got to me the most. CA knew that Sparta (Rome 2) would be a popular faction, so they decide to DLC is. The same is with Chaos (Warhammer), they know it is going to popular and decide to make a quick buck on that to.
    3) the responses by CA have been bordering insulting their loyal customers (especially after Rome 2 and now Warhammer - when they want to justify costs on staffing - well CA I'm sure you made a nice change on the back of Rome 2 - you are backed by Sega and have sold MILLIONS of games - I am sure you are no start up with shoe string budgets)
    4) Releasing buggy and unfinished games - The people who pay the most premium price (Some of the most loyal fans) are being hurt the most, with games that are broken or virtually unplayable on release and even then many patches still don't fix the obvious problems and relying on mods to recitify their mess.
    there are soo many more reasons, but with every point I am listing, I get more depressed with CA and SEGA!
    Last edited by PrinceofPersia; November 04, 2015 at 11:53 AM.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Nice response from CA here concerning Warcraft TW (Whatever the **** it's called) - http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...orders-and-DLC.

I wish that they were as transparent with the Attila crowd. I'd like to read a nice long post about why the Alans are Germans or why the CAI indiscriminately targets the human player or why the Sassanids are ridiculously overpowered. I don't even care if I end up agreeing with their assessment or not, I simply want to know why they decided to go in those directions.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast