Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troll CTD test

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Troll CTD test

If anyone wants to help out trying to track down why some players experience a CTD when trolls are present in battle, please load up a custom battle with hill trolls and report whether or not it CTDs. If it does, please report your unit quality settings, your video card and CPU type. Thanks.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Default Re: Troll CTD test

I haven't had troll specific CTDs AFAIK, but I've had a battle where the trolls had some serious graphics issues. There were some kind of dark "flares" (rays of dark "light", so to speak) coming out of them periodically. These were very short flashes and therefore I tried, but failed to get a screenshot of the phenomenon. This was the public beta version.

That would suggest a model issue, but I've not seen it.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Ive not seen it either, or anything wrong with the models. If you do spot it again please try to get a screenshot, I will keep an eye out for it too.

I should post my own experience.

I had a reproducible CTD in battle (though it occurred at different points - usually during the first minute or so of actual battle). The hill trolls were on the AI side. I loaded up hill trolls in CBs and it crashed too. I tried the campaign and CBs several times and it CTD'd all the time. Come the next day the same CB and campaign all ran without CTDs! I had crashes on both lowest and highest unit quality settings, though most on highest.

I'm on Windows 10 (64 bit), with Intel core i5 3.2 GHz, 8 Meg RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 705

Hello,

also experiencing crashes probably troll crash.
    I am Adunabar, fighting on the mountain slopes south-west of Minas Tirith against Gondor. I was attacked.
    I experienced crash even in a deployment phase of the battle when positioning trolls, three times in a row. Settings - everything on highest or high.
    I am on win 10 64bit, Intelcore i5 3.1 NVidia GTX 760, latest drivers 361.75 - recently installed these newest drivers, but I think not connected to appearance of the crashes.
    Strange is that I played many battles with the trolls through the campaign and only rarely experienced the crash. All crashes were when the troll where placed or moved on the slope - could be of coincidence though, I will test it more.

I am attaching the save.

Last but not least - great mod!! great thinking great art great gameplay. - THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sirmic; February 08, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

I'm sorry, I've never paid much attention to trolls since I never had any crashes. I tried zooming up to them a few times to see if I'll get one but game remained stable.

Played on Win7 with an old laptop. 1366x766? resolution, cca 2Ghz dual core processor and integrated graphic card. Not sure if 1 or Gb RAM.

I don't think this helps but doesn't hurt to share

Gave the saved game a test. Tried two battles. First was OK (despite doing everything I could with trolls) but second CTD'd on zooming into trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Gave the saved game a test. Tried two battles. First was OK (despite doing everything I could with trolls) but second CTD'd on zooming into trolls.
    I forget to say that the battle I speak about commence after you hit end turn button - you get attacked by Gondor - did you tried this battle?
    This battle is quite units heavy - lot of units as Gondor attacks with the full and half stack.
    As mentioned before in another it seems that when the battles are not so units heavy then it is more stable. It is like memory related thing?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Could well be a memory thing. There might be a way to deal with it, buts it involves something that it is against forum policy to discuss, so its rather hard to test.
    Last edited by webba84; February 09, 2016 at 10:25 PM.

I have look on net about problems of RTW on WIN 10 wit direct X9 smthng and found thread where MasterOfNone mentioned that disabling antialiasing helps. I tried it and from that moment I have played like 6 battles involving Trolls and no crash! Even the battle for which I provided the savegamefile.
    I dont know why, I dont know if it is solved for good, but highly recommend to someone experiencing persistent crash to try it out.

Also webb84 thank you, I understand.

Now back to Middle-earth to fulfill Adunabar destiny! (with great help of Trolls)

EDIT: Ehm, I am right back from the Middle-Earth after experiencing the crash, trolls were involved.. so.. dont know..
    Last edited by sirmic; February 10, 2016 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Kicked from Middle-Earth

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Oh, this is very interesting, I've had anti aliasing off for a long time because you can't take screenshots with it on (using printscreen, anyway). I will turn it off and see if I can get some crashes.

much appreciated sirmic, and really glad you are enjoying the mod!

AA off or many versions of RTW do not work (unless you use -ne)

Sorry to disappoint but my AA has been off for a long time and I get crashes with trolls quite often.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Bleh...

I hate those trolls.

Hi DOM team,

maybe you are aware of but here are some insights of RTW crashing on EB forum for consideration:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...1-stability%29
    (long names on trolls?) havent tried personally yet

Also this one is interesting.( dont know if it works though, seems it helped me but it could be just luck as i hadnt tested it thoroughly yet):
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Solution-Found!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Both look to be useful information, will check them out, thanks!

Anyone able to help with this, we are still looking to resolve it. See the opening post. Thank you.

Untill today I was hapilly elfing around, but when glorfindel found a certain army with trolls I had several ctd's.. specs: intel i7 cpu @ ~4.8ghz, 16gb ram, gpu:AMD hd6950. Settings all on highest. Playimg through steam.
    Oddly enough i think i encountered trolls before without ctd's..

CTD is the Troll's only natural defense against Glorfindels.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I've gotten Glorfindel killed by a troll falling on him before. Was not impressed with myself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast