Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Teutonic Order

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Teutonic Order

I hope to see them someday as well .

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

hm, never say never I guess ... I don´t really think that dismounted versions of knights are necessary, but perhaps another heavy infantry unit with very good morale and stats might eventually make it into the build.

Sounds great! I just hope they will have similair armour and weaponry as the Ritterbrüder .

any plans to improve the infantry of the tuetonic order? they seem pretty soft right now?

al

Quote Originally Posted by Krez2445 View Post
    any plans to improve the infantry of the tuetonic order? they seem pretty soft right now?

al
    Well, playing the Order is very challenging but it is not impossible to win with them. They have both Longbow with 200 range (High Prussian Archers) and eastern, high damage bow (57 damage normal shot, Early Prussian Archers). They have good pike and halberd units, and their spearmen are decent, if not just a little bit overpriced compared to similar one from the HRE. Their cav are just so superior to most factions in the game right now, and they also have 90 speed, while most heavy shock cav only have 70. Their weaknesses now IMO are the lack of late spear units and good melee infantry, and being very vulnerable to missile fire, so you cannot just sit back and skirmish, you have to be aggressive.

1. Agree with your post above- I think the main issue is the sword brethren- they really under preform - which is disappointing- seen them get routed by crossbow unit in melee. I did notice that charging and not sitting back is something that was more successful with the Teutons(using wedge with infantry and cav). As of right now the order is missing a decent tier 2 infantry melee unit that utilizes a shield. Maybe upgrade the sword brothers and add a tier 2 version?

2. Maybe if they could get another knight unit like someone mentioned above guest knight or something- my understanding was they had a lot of knights join them from around Europe and not every knight was organically developed Ect.. Maybe access to a German hre Shock cav

3. I am am having issues also with the Teutonic crossbow not firing consistently (handful of guys within the unit aren't shooting) noticed if I spread their line out they do a little better- Maybe I was deploying them wrong?

4. also noticed that my archers are consistently the greatest killers for me of all my units (especially the "eastern" archers you mentioned with the shorter range but higher damage.). (Except cav in mop up duty of course). I was unaware of other factions besides England using longbows/ is there some obvious spread of longbows that I am unaware of during the 13/14th century? Noticed a lot of factions having the longer range which surprised me.

5. I understand your comments about the bowmen, however I thought the order relied heavily on the crossbow? This was actually a large advantage they had with their neighbors being technology wise more developed (siege weapons too) than their pagan does Lithuania (at least early on). I hope to see that advantage early in the campaign if possible. This leads me to my next point about their other advantage fighting against larger numbers of pagans surrounding them:

6. The Teutonic order really used and bred quality horses that gave them a good advantage over their neighbors early on. You mentioned the faster ritterbrutter horse- that is only for their tier 3 (90 speed) while their tier 1/2 ritterbrutter are the standard 70 speed.

7. Tried fighting with dismounted ritterbrutters- didn't go so well- will keep trying

just my 2 cents and some ideas

I know we are getting greedy here because this a fantastic project going so far- anyway to have Herman Von salsa as grandmaster initially? My understanding is he really expanded the authority/ prestige/ effectiveness /size when he was elected 1210.

William Urbans book does a decent job providing more detail as well as christiansans book in the 90's

I found some pretty great pics showing Teutonic army composition, banners, heraldry and uniforms at the Battle of Grunwald. Hopes this helps.

Commanders:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Noble guests of the Order, ranged units and mercenaries:

Lands of the Order: Komturias, Vogteis and Bishoprics:

Coat of arms of Hermann von Salza, grand master 1210-1239, for tier 1 grand master:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234