Thread: Patch 2.02 Release - Balancing

Default Patch 2.02 Release - Balancing

Patch 2.02 for Beta 2

As requested by the community, we present a new patch, to make playing the Rise of Persia beta more fun.
    The main goal of this release is to remove the largest balancing irritations. Still being a WIP, it's already a lot more playable now. Have fun!

Changelog Version 2.02 - Balancing
    =================================== ============
    Balancing issues:
    -Landbriges removed
    -Upkeep/Cost and other stats of many units changed
    -Faction personalities/attitudes changed

Fixes:
    -Sabaeans are able to enter the rest of the world now - they were half stuck before
    -Kyrene now has a green colour, as represented on its icon, stopping the confusion with Nubia
    =================================== ============
    Compatibility note:

THIS PATCH IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SAVEGAMES!
    The map changes listed above are not compatible with savegames, so you will have to start a new campaign if you install.

Installation Instructions:

-Make sure you have ROP Beta 2 installed, and patched to version 2.01
    -Download patch 2.02 from: Riseofpersia.com
    -Install
    -Play
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Grecian's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Patch 2.02 Release - Balancing

Thanks for the update

Just one question is there a way to check version installed?

Just want to make sure 2.02 installed ok.

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Thank you so much. I appreciate how you modders actually appreciate user feedback.

The ROP team are my heroes.
    Blut und Boden

Actually there is, Grecian. Check the root directory of your ROP installation for the file changelog.txt. If it has a part about 2.02, it's installed.

No problem Aetius We like feedback very much indeed - except pointing out the flaws, it also shows us that our mod is being played and appreciated.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

I've been playing a new 2.02 campaign last night as Persia, and this is great! This is one of the best mods I have seen for RTW yet!

Some observations and questions after about 40 turns...

1. The balancing seems a lot better in 2.02. In 2.01, Lydia was a beast and was gobbling up Greece and Asia Minor with lightening speed. So far, in my 2.02 Persia campaign, the only factions that have been killed off too quickly are Kemet (by Kyrene) and Lakedemon (by Athens, I think).

2. I am now making my way through India in search of elephants. I have been knocking off cities one after another and looking at the tech tree, but i don't see any. Are elephants recruitable through Cavalry Stables for Perisa anywhere in India in 2.02?

3. The skin colors of the new sparabarra seem a bit too saturated. I know the Persians were known for their bright clothes, but it still looks too bright. I wonder if this can be tamed a bit (I actually liked your old sparabarra better).

4. 4-Turn Per Year, or improve Persia's starting conditions. It's all but impossible right now to simulate the historical rate of expansion under Cyrus with the amount of time it takes in RTW to improve Persia's economy enough and recruit enough troops to facilitate steady invasion along multiple fronts. The 4-TPY script would be the ideal solution without unbalancing the factions.

5. Drastically increase movement for ships. Right now it takes almost two and a half years to travel the length of the Persian Gulf. (This could be partly resolved with the 4-TPY script, but it is still too short.)...Another item might be taming the Rebel navies a bit too. Within 40 turns there are Rebel navies sailing around the Persian Gulf with over 500 ships in a flotilla.

Overall, great work! This mod is amazing. I am very eager to see how your final version looks!
    Last edited by Agrippa Postumas; November 25, 2006 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added comment

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Thanks for this patch! The balancing is a whole lot better, and is approaching perfect. I started my fourth campaign as Parsa (15 turns in) and have been monitoring the other factions. Kemet has accually taken Gaza, Judea, and Petra; though they are not at war with Kyrene yet (I wait to see how that war goes this time around.). Lydia has yet to expand more than a couple territories and the Ionians still have a territory in Asia Minor. BabIlu has taken a couple territories, Mada has taken one, and India has just started to beseige their first rebel town. One weird thing, unrelated to balance, that happened was Sparte died on the fifth turn or so. And turning fog off, I found that the Athenian were nowhere near Sparte, but there was a huge rebel army next to the city.

And Agrippa Postumas: Apon checking the files, India is the only faction that can currently get elephants. I hope the elephant options expand in the future, both indian and african.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    And Agrippa Postumas: Apon checking the files, India is the only faction that can currently get elephants. I hope the elephant options expand in the future, both indian and african.
    Yeah, I see that too. I was hoping to have elephants available by the time I hit the Hellenic factions. (I love watching elephants charge through phalanxes) If I had known earlier, I wouldn't have wasted so much time conquering India this early in the campaign. Those troops could have been put to better use in Mesopotamia.

Does anyone know what files need to be edited to mod elephants in for Persia? Will such an edit be valid for the current saved game?

Only Indian faction will be able to recruit elephants, the Persians started using them much, much later - without notable effect, I may add.
    Ρέζου λογίου πελάτης (Client of the eloquent Rez)