Thread: Looking for New Desktop

Default Looking for New Desktop

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to replace my 10 year old HP Pavilion desktop. It's been awhile since I bought a PC, so I thought I'd ask here. It will primary be used for school, media (streaming movies, etc), and some moderate gaming. So I guess it would be an all-around computer. I have a budget about $300-$500, and while it would be interesting to build one, I don't have the technical means or time.
    Assuming it's compatible with the new tech,I might be able to use the 9800gtx and the 4 or 500 PSU that's in my Pavilion right now.

It's imperative that the new PC have a HDMI port, as my monitor is a HDTV.

Hoping to get my new PC within a month. Just doing my research now, any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Default Re: Looking for New Desktop

I'm no expert, but I don't know if $500 gets you much these days...

Where are you based?
    If a post I make helps you or makes you laugh, don't forget to +rep me.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to replace my 10 year old HP Pavilion desktop. It's been awhile since I bought a PC, so I thought I'd ask here. It will primary be used for school, media (streaming movies, etc), and some moderate gaming. So I guess it would be an all-around computer. I have a budget about $300-$500, and while it would be interesting to build one, I don't have the technical means or time.
    Assuming it's compatible with the new tech,I might be able to use the 9800gtx and the 4 or 500 PSU that's in my Pavilion right now.

It's imperative that the new PC have a HDMI port, as my monitor is a HDTV.

Hoping to get my new PC within a month. Just doing my research now, any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
    Save up an extra 200-300 bucks and you should be able to get something worthwhile on black friday from tiger direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Infiernus View Post
    Where are you based?
    New York. And yeah, I planning to buy around Black Friday.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

It would be a good idea to come up with a config you want and post it here.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Sorry for the delay.

The only spec that I have in mind is at least an i5 processor. I don't think I can a get a good gaming rig at my budget, so I'll probably part with that idea.

I can probably transfer my PSU and 9800gtx to a new rig, and call it a day.

I'm thinking about this:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/454916/pavilion_550-150_desktop_computer