Thread: Greatest King M2TW has ever had!

Default Greatest King M2TW has ever had!

I'm playing on H/H and I'm England. As England, I quickly went and conquered the Scottish. It was a long hard fought battle but in the end, I got them.

So after conquering the whole UK, I chilled and laid back. I started pumping trade and building. I built eventually a nice cathedral in London. I was pumping out priests as well. I eventually got all my lands to 100% catholic.

So while I was building, I sent a diplomat to Russia and Spain/Portugal. Interestingly enough, Spain and Portugal were allied. I was neutral with France and Denmark. I noticed Denmark and France become allies so I was worried. Spain and Portugal ally me.

A turn later, Spain+Portugal declare war on France. Next, Denmark declares war on me but interestingly enough, France doesn't. The next turn, Russia attacks Denmark. A turn later, Russia and I ally.

This is the setup and would stay this way for 200 years (yes, really). Denmark moved its armies to the Russian border. They've been back and forth on that frontier for 200 years.

The French and Spain+Portugal have been going at it for close to 200 years with the borders the same as they were when they started the war. Since Denmark and France were occupied, I decided to work on trade and building up.

The year was 1300 and my prince became of age. Prince Toby was his name. He seemed like a good Prince. Had some good traits such as sobriety and intelligent. It even said he was energetic. I decided this was my main guy. I built up a full stack of troops and gave it to Toby.

The pope calls a crusade on Jerusalem. I figure great. I move Toby by boat to Jerusalem. I attack Jerusalem and I conquer it. I had a reserve half stack traveling behind Toby just in case.

I have 3 cannons, a few archers, a few knights (heavy cavalry), and some swordsman as his main troops. So once in Jerusalem, I try to build up. I then get my cardinal elected as pope. Since I had max priests and all 100% catholic in my lands (except Jerusalem), I decided to call a crusade when I could. So after calling a crusade on Acre, I took Toby hit Acre. His backup half stack of archers were stationed outside of Acre for the time being. I had a few militia in Jerusalem.

After a heroic battle, I take Acre. So the Mongols invade now. They nail Jerusalem and I loose the city. I had 2 good assassin around Acre (I was killing Imam's so I could get 100% catholic there). Before I could mount an attack to take back Jerusalem, I get hit in Acre by the Mongols.

I had built up Acre extremely well. The Egyptians before me built it up nicely (thanks Egypt!) so I had max walls. On the battle map, I was outnumbered. Mongols had 2 full stacks attacking together. One thing I noticed though was they were short on archers (only 2 units out of the 2 full stacks). Their main guys were in Jerusalem.

So I'm extremely nervous. I notice on the battle map that Acre has 3 walls. The inner most wall is on the top of the cliff. I figure I'm seriously outnumbered so I place all my guys in the 3rd wall/ring. I'm giving them walls 1+2.

I position all my archers on top at the walls, my cannons were in a good place. I had my King, cavalry, and half my swordsman covering the gates. The rest of my soldiers were choking the left wall. There is a passage from the second gates wall to the third gates wall. That's where my swordsman were holding.

To make a long story short, I won a heroic victory. My archers tore them up. They over-compensated when they took gate 1 and 2 and the rest is history.

So Toby gets some good stats now. I start repairing my walls and I get hit again by more Mongols. The same strategy seemed to work it out. I got hit 6 straight times at Acre. My troops were almost depleted. My reserve half stack archers were eventually all killed along with my main troops. I was desperate. Luckily, I had 2 master assassins killing the Mongol generals before each fight. That I believe helped me out.

I had 1 turn where I could breath (non sieged) at Acre. I quickly got Toby out, and I purchased as many mercs as I could (mostly archers). After 6 straight defenses, I finally broke the Mongols. They eventually went south into Egypt instead of trying to take Acre.

Toby had done it. He saved Acre. Eventually, my secondary army made it to Acre. With Toby at the helm, I took out the small Mongol troops at Jerusalem. But before I did, I called a crusade on Jerusalem. Then I conquered it the next turn (+bonus for me ).

So here I am chilling in Jerusalem. After a few turns, I declare a crusade on Antioch. I take Antioch with Toby. I loose Jerusalem back and forth to the Mongols and the Egyptians. I called 5 crusades all in all and Toby won them all. My troops that lived have gold and silver shields+chevrons+swords.

So after I had Jerusalem, Acre, and Antioch, I decided to relax a little. I took Toby to Antioch as my main middle east city. I had priests+cardinals in those 3 territories. I have Jerusalem at 81% catholic, Acre at 72%, and Antioch at 34%. There are too many imams in my territory and my assassins keep missing, but eventually, I'll get all these up in the 90%+ territory.

At least that's what I thought. The Mongols and Egyptians decided to declare peace with me and I was living in peace and was relaxing quite nicely.

Little did I know that this wouldn't hold up. Toby eventually became King. He did get married and to my luck he got a women who is fertile. He had 5 male sons. Unfortunately, 4 of them are nuts. 1 has insane dread and the other 3 have really bad traits. One is decent which I'll make king eventually and I'll try to mold him.

Toby was an insane king. His stats were amazing. I thought this is awesome. He's pretty young too so I'm set in the middle east. Then the Timurids join the game.

I thought no sweat, I can take these guys. The Mongols were not that bad. So they come and they attack Antioch. I notice they whooped the Turks really quickly so I got worried. As they lay siege I moved my backups from Acre and Jerusalem up to backup Toby. I don't have screenshots but even with 2500 troops, the Timurids outnumbered me 2 to 1. They had 5 full stacks and they killed all my guys. I took them down good but wow, they were tough. They capture King Toby (now called King Toby the Saint) and they killed him

So there goes my great King. Born a prince, became a King, turned a Saint, murdered by barbarians. I lost all my troops in the mid east in that one fight.

I eventually lost Jerusalem and Acre stood 3 assaults but eventually I lost it. I am trying to build up more troops to go back and take out the Timurids but now the new world has been revealed. I'm taking a break from the mid east and going to the new world.

Things at home look good and I've been at peace in England for close to 300 years. I've had 6 straight popes (hopefully I can keep this streak going).

Time for Toby's son (the good one) to take over the Americas and make his departed father proud.

Here's a picture of King Toby right before I called the crusade on Antioch and took the city. Back then he was still known as King Toby the Merciless. Although I don't know why since he releases all his prisoners and never kills citizens (just occupies). This is him after 6 defenses, multiple city attacks, and 4 crusades (about to go to his 5th).

This was my greatest King ever and no king after him will ever be like him. Too bad he couldn't live on.

I don't have pics of him before the Timurids attack unfortunately.

Default Re: Greatest King M2TW has ever had!

Wow! That's insane. I always have aspirations to take a good 16 year old general and make him into something amazing like that, but their lives are always cut short. Simply incredible that you managed to do it. If only you had gotten that authority up by four points. >.<

Mooncabbage's Avatar Ducenarius

Truely an inspiration! Not only is your king awesome, but so is your relaxed play style. Usually I am so busy fighting every one that I get sick of the game and have to break for a while. I shall steal a page from your book I think. Atleast that way I might get to fight some Aztecs!
    Not actually on the moon.

Empire: Tactical Warfare Mod v1.0

he would be the best king ever except his name.
    somthing about king Toby the merciless dosn't sound right.

I have had one king as Denmark like that, he had some close battles there. (never went to the middle east though)

Senator

How hard is it to get command points for your family members? I fear the same the problem as in pre-patch RTW where generals get high command ratings WAY too easily and all opposing armies you face rout INSTANTLY.

Well it isn't that easy, if you work a general enough you can in time get him up to 7-8 stars, sometimes more. Sometimes he won't go over four no matter what. Armies don't rout instantly, unless they're militia and below anyway.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    Well it isn't that easy, if you work a general enough you can in time get him up to 7-8 stars, sometimes more. Sometimes he won't go over four no matter what. Armies don't rout instantly, unless they're militia and below anyway.
    That's reassuring.

Was it possible to mod the difficulty of family members achieving command stars in RTW?

wow!!!!!!!!!! how much are you earning to fund all of these expiditions?? and how is the new king going

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

How long does it take you to get to Jerusalem? How many turns does it give you to get there? I'd figure it'd be extra hard for England to trek that far.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by legend101 View Post
    Yeah, there's something about that name, kinda like Tim the Enchanter...

Quote Originally Posted by avesta View Post
    How hard is it to get command points for your family members? I fear the same the problem as in pre-patch RTW where generals get high command ratings WAY too easily and all opposing armies you face rout INSTANTLY.
    Easiest way to do this (though it is sort of cheating) is to take the individual family member and attack small-medium sized armies (preferably rebel, if not whoever else your'e at war with) and either autocalc or fight personally. Doesn't even matter if they lose, they'll gain the chevrons and get command stars through expierience and retainers

Slightly OT, and unbelievably stupid question, how do you get FOW to turn off. (I know!! ive had all of the TW's and i cant do this)... But ive checked preference.cfg (based on RTW) and descr_strat in the off chance. Am i missing something obvious.?

E
    Last edited by Ezequiel; November 24, 2006 at 02:11 PM. Reason: can't spell

Civitate

Lol, your king has full chivalry, yet has still got "the merciless" in his name.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

I just press '/@ button then type toggle_fow
    Hope that helps, i could never do it with RTW despite lots of suggestions.

Very nice campaign by the sounds of it, i would love to see some more pics.
    I think i may take a leaf out of your book too. DOing something liek that sounds very interesting. Turn 1364? :O Are you playing 1 turn = 6 months or something?
    When i finish my HRE campaign i will look through the unit rosters and pick an army i can play laid back with i think.

Quote Originally Posted by legend101 View Post
    Hey, he's from Winterpeg! (Canadian joke; people from the province of Manitoba are called "Tobys".

But seriously that was a great campaign. And that is the measure of this game; can it produce plausible dramas, gripping stories, characters you get attached to, or is it just chaos, a succession of meaningless battles?

Obviously you've proven what it's worth..

Itilas's Avatar Laetus

I hate it when your best General dies. I had a great Prince from Denmark when an Inquisitor decided he was too chivalrious. That was so painful to watch. Luckily he had two amazing sons who conquered all of Eastern Europe.
    Gutta cavat lapidem