Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [UNIT PREVIEW] The Late Roman Army - 3rd to 5th centuries

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

Default [UNIT PREVIEW] The Late Roman Army - 3rd to 5th centuries

This thread will give a rundown of the composition and equipping of the Roman army from the 3rd century onwards. It will also feature several units and pieces of equipment that have been added to the mod Pax Romana.

The Army of the 3rd Century:
    The Roman army in the 3rd century was a force in development. The rise of new enemies such as the Sassanids and more mobile barbarian tribes like the Goths forced the Romans to change their tactics in order to adapt. However, the army would not experience complete reform until Diocletian in 284 AD. The equipment was very different from that of the classic Principate legion, yet also very different from the armies of Constantine and his successors.

Helmets
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The helmets of the 3rd century army are in wide variety and are seen as the epitomy of Roman helmet design, namely the Italic H Niedermormter. With the lines between auxiliaries and legionnaires becoming blurred, the equipment did as well and the helmets.

The Italic H Niedermormter - late 2nd century - mid 3rd century. The last of the Italic helmets.

The Heddernheims - late 2nd century - late 3rd century - one of the more popular designs during the time of crisis

The Theilenhofen - 3rd century - a very intricate and decorative helmet, based on the Attic-style helmets of old

The Niederbieber - 2nd century - mid 3rd century - originally an auxiliary cavalry helmet, that became popular with infantry

Other - A Praetorian cavalryman's helmet

Armor
    The armor worn by Romans in the 3rd century became largely varied. The famed lorica segmentata was beginning to fall out of use due to its cost and maintenance. Lorica Hamata became very popular once more and lorica squamata began to be worn more frequently. The hamata, unlike before, became more simple, usually not being shouldered anymore like the style of the former legions. Rome also started to make use of lamellar armors.

Lorica Segmentata

Lorica Hamata

Lorica Squamata

Lamellar Armor

Weaponry
    By the 3rd century, the famed gladius had fallen out of use. It its place, the spatha, formerly a cavalry sword, became extremely popular as it could function more or less the same but had a longer reach than its predecessor. Lighter versions of the pilum were being used, the weighted versions still in use but beginning to be forgotten. Also, the hasta became very popular and many front-line legionnaires began to carry it in order to counter cavalry.

Shields
    Shields int he 3rd century were more or less the same. However, the large rectangular scutum was becoming less popular, used in the time of Gallienus mainly by legionnaires who would have stood in the front lines. The patterns on shields during the 3rd century could be very intricate and decorative or extremely simple.

The famed Dura Europos shield

Others

Unit Preview

Some Previews of units.

The reason the army of Diocletian will make an appearance in the mod is because due to the timeframe, the player will be able to upgrade to the late army via tech.

The Army of Diocletian and later

Helmets
    The helmets of the 4th century Roman army onwards were quite different then their predecessors. Some were cheaper made and had less protection while others were very intricate and very protective.

The Intercisa Helmet - 4th-5th centuries

Roman Ridge types - 4th-5th centuries
    Berkasovo

Concesti

Spangenhelm types - 3rd-5th centuries

There are some others and the helmets will vary, having different colored versions and versions that have crests for high-tier units and such.

Armor
    ​coming soon

Weaponry
    The weapons used by the legions of Diocletian and his successors were very much the same as before, except the once popular pilum began to fall out of use in favor of other lighter javelins and then the well-known plumbata - a small throwing dart.

Shields

By the end of the third century, the large rectangular scutum had fallen out of use, and from then on oval suctums would be the shield of choice for Roman soldier.

Unit Preview

Credits:
    Helmets:
    Dontfearme22, Ahiga, asterion2005, The_Germans_are_coming, CA
    Armor: CA, Ahiga, Dresden, The_Germans_are_coming
    Weaponry: CA
    Shields: The_Germans_are_coming, Dresden
    Last edited by Emperor Caesar; December 08, 2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Updating

Laetus

Icon14 Re: [UNIT PREVIEW] The Late Roman Army - 3rd to 5th centuries

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Caesar View Post
    This thread will give a rundown of the composition and equipping of the Roman army from the 3rd century onwards. It will also feature several units and pieces of equipment that have been added to the mod Pax Romana.

The Army of the 3rd Century:
    The Roman army in the 3rd century was a force in development. The rise of new enemies such as the Sassanids and more mobile barbarian tribes like the Goths forced the Romans to change their tactics in order to adapt. However, the army would not experience complete reform until Diocletian in 284 AD. The equipment was very different from that of the classic Principate legion, yet also very different from the armies of Constantine and his successors.

Helmets
    The helmets of the 3rd century army are in wide variety and are seen as the epitomy of Roman helmet design, namely the Italic H Niedermormter. With the lines between auxiliaries and legionnaires becoming blurred, the equipment did as well and the helmets.

The Italic H Niedermormter - late 2nd century - mid 3rd century. The last of the Italic helmets.

The Theilenhofen - 3rd century - a very intricate and decorative helmet, based on the Attic-style helmets of old

Other - A Praetorian cavalryman's helmet

Armor
    The armor worn by Romans in the 3rd century became largely varied. The famed lorica segmentata was beginning to fall out of use due to its cost and maintenance. Lorica Hamata became very popular once more and lorica squamata began to be worn more frequently. The hamata, unlike before, became more simple, usually not being shouldered anymore like the style of the former legions. Rome also started to make use of lamellar armors.

Lorica Segmentata

Lorica Hamata

Lorica Squamata

Lamellar Armor

Weaponry
    By the 3rd century, the famed gladius had fallen out of use. It its place, the spatha, formerly a cavalry sword, became extremely popular as it could function more or less the same but had a longer reach than its predecessor. Lighter versions of the pilum were being used, the weighted versions still in use but beginning to be forgotten. Also, the hasta became very popular and many front-line legionnaires began to carry it in order to counter cavalry.

Shields
    Shields int he 3rd century were more or less the same. However, the large rectangular scutum was becoming less popular, used in the time of Gallienus mainly by legionnaires who would have stood in the front lines. The patterns on shields during the 3rd century could be very intricate and decorative or extremely simple.

The famed Dura Europos shield

Others

Unit Preview

Some Previews of units.

The reason the army of Diocletian will make an appearance in the mod is because due to the timeframe, the player will be able to upgrade to the late army via tech.

The Army of Diocletian and later - coming soon

Helmets
    ​coming soon

Armor
    ​coming soon

Weaponry
    ​coming soon

Shields
    ​coming soon

Unit Preview
    ​coming soon

Credits:
    Helmets:
    Dontfearme22, Ahiga, asterion2005, The_Germans_are_coming
    Armor: CA, Ahiga, Dresden, The_Germans_are_coming
    Weaponry: CA
    Shields: The_Germans_are_coming
    Last edited by Tango12345; November 26, 2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: final cleanup

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [UNIT PREVIEW] The Late Roman Army - 3rd to 5th centuries

Fantastic work.

Looking forward to play this mod some day

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Just a tip, this thread shows you how to fix the variant editor being really dark:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...or-is-too-dark

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Just a tip, this thread shows you how to fix the variant editor being really dark:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...or-is-too-dark
    Thanks for that, didn't even notice it before ha.

Cool stuff Emp. If I had one gripe about the mod however, it'd be the shields that are missing shields bosses. For some reason I always felt the Roman shields without shield bosses were always kind of 'off.' Anyway, keep up the great work!

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    Cool stuff Emp. If I had one gripe about the mod however, it'd be the shields that are missing shields bosses. For some reason I always felt the Roman shields without shield bosses were always kind of 'off.' Anyway, keep up the great work!
    It's only because the shields for those are using Attila shields which have a separate things for shield bosses so they don't show up in the Rome 2 assembly kit. However, they will be present in game.
    Last edited by Emperor Caesar; October 19, 2015 at 11:08 PM.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Great work Emp! +rep!

Just a small note: the segmented armour should be of Newstead type, this:

without the leathar strips lacings of the previous models.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Great work Emp! +rep!

Just a small note: the segmented armour should be of Newstead type, this:

without the leathar strips lacings of the previous models.

Yeah that is the hard part. Finding someone willing to do body armor. For now we have to make due with the vanilla type.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Actually the example I posted wasn't the correct one, sorry (Actually it was a Cordbridge B/C following Robinson classification)!

The actual Newstead is this one, no leather strips at all:

Anyway, no problem for me, go on using what you have, I was just trying to give you a suggestion but it's a small detail almost invisible in game, we need your Mod Emp, Newstead or Corbridge is an irrilevant detail!

dammit TWC tells me I can't give you more rep, well, OK, I'll give you my +Rep later ..

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Actually the example I posted wasn't the correct one, sorry (Actually it was a Cordbridge B/C following Robinson classification)!

The actual Newstead is this one, no leather strips at all:

Anyway, no problem for me, go on using what you have, I was just trying to give you a suggestion but it's a small detail almost invisible in game, we need your Mod Emp, Newstead or Corbridge is an irrilevant detail!

dammit TWC tells me I can't give you more rep, well, OK, I'll give you my +Rep later ..
    Haha I need this mod too!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great work!

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Thats enough. If either of you have anything you want to say regarding this, forward it to me, not in this thread, and preferably not to each other directly. Moderation will look into it.

In order for things to calm down a bit I've locked this thread temporarily. I do not want to see this spread to other threads either.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Investigation complete. Reopened.

Updated with new niederbieber and some previews of Diocletian-era and later era equipment.

Laetus

Emperor, do you have an idea for release date ?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien View Post
    Emperor, do you have an idea for release date ?
    Not at the moment.

i guess you give up...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien View Post
    i guess you give up...
    No not even close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast