While I am excited to see that sending a lone army to an expedition 1000 miles away from home isn't viable anymore, I can't help but have some doubts about how this "supply system" works. First of all, I am a bit dissapointed to see that there isn't a sticky somewhere explaining this feature, considering that it might give you a crippling -3 morale and -1 command penalty without much of an indication. If there is but I missed it, apologies...

This is what I figured within 2 hours of gameplay. Please correct me if I made any mistake.
When a general is inside a city, he is always "fully supplied" (+2 morale, casualties replenish). When he leaves the settlement, within 1-3 turns he becomes simply "supplied" (0). After this, it won't get worse if he is on friendly (or allied?) soil. But if he is at hostile lands, within 1-3 turns he will get the "limited rations" modifier (-1 morale). After 1 more turn, he gets the "hungry soldiers" (-2 morale) and then, the terrible "hungry" trait (-3 morale, -1 command). Of course, these are reversed if he goes back to a friendly settlement (what about simply friendly land?).

While I definitely like this concept, a couple of things that I find wrong (once again, pray enlighten me if I miss something):
-I have the impression that leaderless armies are not affected by this. Of course, having a leaderless army has other complications, but the one who really affects whether your army is fed or not is the general. This is not only an immersion breaker (for example, you can switch 2 generals and BOOM! ...instant supplies!), but it makes using leaderless armies more viable at long expeditions.

-The timelapse it takes for the supplies to deplete doesn't make much sense, neither is it always clear. So, once I pass my borders, I pretty much have 3-6 turns before my soldiers start being completely demoralized. This results in me having to employ atleast 2 generals for each army, so that I can send them back and forth to a friendly city and making maintaining a siege require micromanagement.

-There are other ways to simulate supply transport from a city to an army (including the abstract one of vanilla). One army could also maintain itself by raiding the countryside of the nation they invade. Describing my soldiers like they are starving to death while barely 50 miles away from their homecity just because they are outside their border is disturbing.

So yeah, I like this feature (wouldn't want to disable it), but I could really use some more info on this subject and how to make the best use of this mechanic. Regards.