Thread: WRE doesn't have to fall ;)

Miria's Avatar Foederatus

Default WRE doesn't have to fall ;)

So instead of focusing on defense and war, this time around as the WRE, i used diplomacy and gold as my weapons. Here's some screenshots of my progress so far.

As you can see, I have 4 extra allies as well as the ERE. Alamans, Suebians, Maurians and Macromans are all Military allies. I had the Quadians as a puppet state but the Ostrogoths destroyed them and then Macromans took that from the Ostrogoths. I've only lost 2 settlements so far, one to the Ostrogoths and i can't remember if they took another or if my gifting of Vesontio to the Suebians counts as losing one but either way, turn 7 and only 2 settlements lost.

The Saxons are gone, Caledonians are about to be destroyed. Illyria and the Ostrogoths both only have 1 army each. The Jutes are under attack by Angles and Franks. Alans are at war with me because i attacked the Vandals as they were raiding my northern lands. Doing so also made some of the barbarians like me more since they had no love for the Vandals either.

The ERE is doing good too, Huns have barely touched them and the Visigoths are fighting a losing war with their Dacian allies. Once i've taken out the Celts and dealt with the Ostrogoths, Illyria and my allies/friends have dealt with the Jutes, i will be free to turtle for a while and build up my empire economically while my barbarian friends and allies keep my borders safe for me, once i am ready i plan on uniting the Roman Empire as one again when i turn on the ERE, then i may also pay some homage to Alexander and conquer the middle east, destroying the Persians and their puppets

By the time Attila comes of age, he will have to deal with a unified Roman Empire that is bigger and better than the old one, as well as all of the barbarians guarding the borders of their powerful friendly neighbour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-10-14_00001.jpg   2015-10-14_00002.jpg   2015-10-14_00003.jpg  

Default Re: WRE doesn't have to fall ;)

Last edited by Miria; October 14, 2015 at 10:40 AM.

Also, with the first few turns i got some of the barbarians to fight my battles for me. I got the Franks and Langobards to destroy the Saxons for me, i got the Angles and Franks to join me against the Jutes and earlier after i subjugated the Quadians they served as a buffer and distraction against the Ostrogoths. The Caledonians declared war on me but never actually attacked as i had a full stack in Eboracon which may have made them think twice about trying to attack. I managed to form a wedge between them and the Picts too, they aren't at war yet but the Picts are unfriendly with them thanks to some bribes from me

Diplomacy is working wonders for the WRE.

Last edited by Miria; October 14, 2015 at 10:40 AM.

I like it, well done. Well, turn 7... keep us updated.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Btw: if you are logged in, you can edit a post by clicking on "edit post" right below of the post you want to edit.
    If you're dealing with the devil, it's not the devil who changes, but rather the devil change you - for sanity is like a spider, sitting in a net woven from the finest of strings, unaware of the hand coming closer, being grabbed and stuffed into a mouth.
    Check this: Turumba's Twitch and Youtube channel!

Well, on turn 11 and my only enemies are either too far away or too weak to pose any threat......Fancy that, playing as the WRE, only 11 turns in and there are no more threats to the empire!

Diplomacy is a powerful weapon.....and so is gold, always good for solving problems, everyone likes a bit of gold.

So i destroyed the Ostrogoths finally (they took out my submissive little buddy the Quadians) but then they foolishly tried invading Pannonia.....while i had 2 full legions ready and waiting. They managed to attack a settlement and liberate Illyria but on the next turn i took it back and destroyed an army leaving them both with 1 army each on the run from my legions. They fled north and sacked a region on the way, next turn i destroyed Illyria and forced the Ostrogoths to flee again. They attacked another settlement and once again liberated Illyira but they didn't get very far. They had nowhere to run as Alamans and Suebi both had 1 full army each guarding the pass above Virunum so next turn i destroyed the Ostrogoths last army and took the settlement back, Illyria's army managed to escape but after i ended my turn they got destroyed by either Alamans, Suebi or Macromans...all 3 of them had an army nearby.

I'm loving this campaign so far, all these friendly barbarians who normally hate WRE as much as they hate the Huns are helping me destroy my enemies and guarding my borders.
    Last edited by Miria; October 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM.

I've never played as the Romans on Attila or Rome 2 as I find the units uninspiring, but after reading this thread I'm excited me to start a new campaign with them. What difficulty level are you on?

well i've never actually passed any campaigns yet so im just playing on normal at the moment so i can actually finish a campaign

once i've passed a campaign or two i'll move on to harder difficulties.

Also i have finally conquered all of the UK, so apart from 1 tiny Ebdanian army sailing around the top of the island running from my legions as well as a Geats fleet that is after them. Apart from that i have no enemies threatening my lands. My only enemies now are just enemies of the ERE who are too far away to cause any problems, they will have to go through ERE to get to me or my barbarian allies.
    Speaking of ERE though i went down and subjugated Macedonia and Dacia who had been liberated by the Visigoths, i also made Asia a puppet state without even attacking them, just offered trade and they were happy to accept. I've taken 2 desolate regions in Thrace too that the Huns generously left for me. Once the rest of these Eastern enemies start dying off i can think about turning on the ERE and reuniting the Roman Empire as one.

Just remember, when you play as the WRE, diplomacy and gold are your best friends. Use it to prevent wars that you aren't prepared for. Keep the African factions and some of the Germania ones pacified until you are ready to turn on them and conquer them. Use any time of peace you can get to build up your empire, get public order, religion, food ect sorted out so you dont have to worry about rebellions and you can focus on fighting on the frontlines.