Thread: List of Shipwrecks found.

Default List of Shipwrecks found.

Good news for the fans of archaeology.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Looks like that the wreck of Holigost, a previously Castillian carrack, named Santa Clara, and later captured by the English, might have been found. Holigost (an Internet-like way to say Holy Ghost) was one of the largest ships of Henry V deployed in his struggle against the French, during the 100-years war. A useful image that depicts the ship's in question diagram.
    I say useful, because the media (if dailymail can be characterised as such) love to spam images of irrelevant naval battles between English and French fleets, mainly of the battle of Sluys, without the appropriate explanation, but I won't be surprised if we also see Holigost in Trafalgar...
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; December 06, 2015 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: List of Shipwrecks found.

You see the exploding ship? Its wreck was found by the Colombian navy. The ship, the Spanish galleon San José was sunk in 1708, during the War of the Spanish Succession, when five British ships of the line attacked the Spanish Treasure Fleet.
    As the nature of the fleet, of which San José was a member, suggests, its discovery is quite an important event, as the galleon must have been full of silver, gold and jewels, worthy of several millions pounds.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Oh yes, i saw the news. Awesome that we still discover thins like this today!

I have heard Madrid has claimed the galleon, can anyone confirm this?

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Domna View Post
    Awesome that we still discover thins like this today!
    Indeed
    ------
    -----
    Flor do Mar , a treasure ship still awaiting discovery, is the richest treasure-laden ship ever lost, and never found.The sunken cargo could be worth between 10 billion and 90 billion dolars.
    It was used in the conquests of Ormuz (Persian Gulf) in 1507, Goa in 1510 and Malacca in 1511, as well as the Battle of Diu (India) in 1509. The vessel is said to have More than probably, it will never be found.
    Lecture online thanks to Florida Institute of Technology and Sir Robert Marx

http://media.fit.edu/load.php?fn=flordelmar
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Here's another shipwreck discovered off the coast of the Netherlands, a surprisingly mostly intact single-mast medieval cog from the 15th-century, probably used by the Hanseatic League. It's dimensions are 20 by 8 meters and weighs about 40 tons. In addition to being remarkably intact, the ship also boasts a fairly well-preserved brick-arched oven for cooking along with patterned glazed tiles on the rear deck.