Thread: Military access

Default Military access

It seems that AIs can frolic blithely around in your territory without an alliance let alone military access. So is there any chance of a player getting away with this?

Or is war inevitable (rather than really really tempting) when they do this? Their ZOCs block the movement of my armies. Just generally WTH?

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Military access

Quote Originally Posted by Yudishtira View Post
    It seems that AIs can frolic blithely around in your territory without an alliance let alone military access. So is there any chance of a player getting away with this?

Or is war inevitable (rather than really really tempting) when they do this? Their ZOCs block the movement of my armies. Just generally WTH?
    It's one of those things in this game. Humblebrag, but I don't have too much of a problem with this 'cause I tend to block up my borders with forts so that our ZOC can keep them out. For wide open borders, I keep horsemen at the border and move the group right next to tresspassers, and for the most part this solves the problem.

As far as violating other people's borders, it's not an "Act of War", but it will erode your Relations with that faction. There is nothing to represent your displeasure at violations without either doing like me or declaring war. ( Side note, I always rather liked Civilization 3's system which would after a second violation force the AI out of your borders [ or they'd have to declare war ] ) .

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply. Yes well in Civ[ilization] 4 you just cancel Open Borders and they are expelled. It might not exactly be realistic but in gameplay terms there's a lot to recommend it, at least over this...

My situation is that a stack of 7 or 8 Frenchies have moved almost adjacent to my English castle/town at Caen or some such (which btw happens to have plenty of defenders). I can move my reinforcements (which cannot now get to the castle) next to them, but how will that help?

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Yudishtira View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yes well in Civ[ilization] 4 you just cancel Open Borders and they are expelled. It might not exactly be realistic but in gameplay terms there's a lot to recommend it, at least over this...

My situation is that a stack of 7 or 8 Frenchies have moved almost adjacent to my English castle/town at Caen or some such (which btw happens to have plenty of defenders). I can move my reinforcements (which cannot now get to the castle) next to them, but how will that help?
    Ideally of course you'd want to be placing armies next to such trespassers before they get too deep into your lands. In your case, I guess the question is do you mind getting into a little war with France LOL . If you want something that you can patch up peace-wise I'd park a small bait unit in their zone of control, then conduct some minor diplomatic wearing to reduce relations not too far and hopefully they'll bite. Alternatively, if you've got some cash built up and some good diplomats, there is always bribery. However you seek to solve it, I'd keep the Castle well garrisoned until you do.

Now, as far as Caen goes, IIRC there are only three roads in/out of that province. Parking a fort at each border is how I'd go there, with some peasants or such to sit in them ( more where and when they're needed ) .

Keep me posted, I'd like to hear how it works out.

Most times they send smaller armies, They are not a problem, if they have a bigger army and let them stay for more than one turn near a city it is a sign that you should prepare for war, because it is likely that the attack you. If you want to go to war but not loose reputation you can take out most of your troops out of that town and then use them to take the city back immediately after the enemy attacked.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

This is one of the more annoying AI behaviours in the game. My response works like this:

1). If they land troops on one of your islands, it counts as a declaration of war. I immediately attack and kill any AI stack that lands on one of my islands. You can be 100% certain that they are going to attack you, it's only a matter of time. You should attack them first and kill them, before more enemy reinforcements arrive.

2). If they cross into my land on Crusade, that's fine. They are unlikely to stay for long, and I generally leave them alone. Unless I am the Muslim faction being targeted, obviously.

3). If they are a very small unit, or are clearly just crossing at the edge of my border from one part of their empire to another, I leave them alone

4). If they roll up and park a large stack next to one of my towns, which is on the frontier with their territory, then I clearly take that as a sign of war. I train as many units in that province as possible, and send reinforcements. I also prepare for a full scale war. Once I've built up a large enough force, either they leave or I will attack them and destroy them. They were clearly going to attack me anyway, so they must be destroyed if they won't leave.

5). If you and an AI faction both sent armies to take a rebel province, and your army gets there first, be prepared that you may have to fight that AI faction. Either they will attack you immediately, or they will wait until you have defeated the rebel garrison, and then attack you. Either way, make sure you have enough men to defeat both the rebels and the AI stack. The best way around this is to ally the faction that has a stack there, in which case they may even help you to take the settlement. But in case this is not possible, get ready for war.