Thread: THE REVENGE

Dr. Fell's Avatar Laetus

Default THE REVENGE

THE REVENGE

1. The Man Who Sold His Soul

I stood on the slick pavement, watching the rain come down in torrents. Each drop disturbed the light reflected in the growing puddles. Disturbed what little light there was in this city. That provided by the street lamps. I stood there, soaking wet. Liquid surrounded me, and liquid was inside me, but of a different kind, the kind you find at the bottom of a bottle. The kind you drink when desperately seeking peace that you know you will never find. It was on a night like this that I had that fateful talk with Eddy, the talk that would send me spiraling ever downwards into the mouth of Hell.

"It's a simple job," he said, braying at me in between mouthfuls of mashed potatoes as the raindrops assaulted the windows of the diner. "A child could do it."

"Thanks for the confidence."

"You have to gain the trust of the guys in the lower ranks, you know, the dime-a-dozen small fry that run individual sections of the larger operation. It's all routine. I leave it up to you how you're gonna get to the higher-ups for the bust."

I leave it up to you. Fatal words that brought me back to the bullets and syringes of the city that never slept. It hadn't been a routine job after all. Three nights and three bodies later, Eddy got implicated in a corruption scandal and I was left up the creek without a paddle with angry mobsters on each bank. But I wasn't back to reminisce about the bad old days. It was time to wake up.

2. The International

It had started on Long Island, the tip of the American spear pointing across the Atlantic towards its former masters. As an eternal warning to those who sought to take back what had once, so long ago been theirs. It had been a short trip. Three hours in the car, but it felt like I had just gotten off of a thirteen hour flight. I needed a motel. I pulled into the first one that I saw, the Regal.

Despite the lofty name, it was a real craphouse. Mold on the wall behind reception. The stench of disappointment and broken dreams. Somewhere upstairs, I could hear a man ruining his marriage. A roach scuttled away from my foot as I walked to the front desk and rang the bell. Twice.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm comin', I'm comin'."

"I need a room. I'd prefer one high up."

"Eh, we got a highballer here, eh? Say, where'reya from anyway? Jersey City?"

"Brooklyn."

"A real globetrotter then, comin' all the way out here." The sweaty old man raised his hands in deference. "But I won't ask you too much, I get it, I get it..." He trailed off.

"I need a room."

"Therya go, room 407, right up the stairs. Elevator's jammed, been tryna gedit fixed fuhtree weeks now. But do I get any response from the maint'nence guys? No, all I get is--"

But I was already on the staircase. Not that I was interested in anything that he had to say anyway. He was just an old man with a stupid hat. A nosy one, to boot. He was the last thing I needed.

The room was small and dark. It suited me just fine. I eased onto the concrete bed before my eyes hit the end table. Newspaper clippings covered it. Seems the cleaners don't like coming round here. It was the one on top that made my heart skip a beat. I never thought I'd see him again. Those snake-like eyes. Sardonic grin. Cunning written all over his face. But not a shred of compassion or guilt. The Brick, he was called on the streets. Not because he was big or strong. Because he slept on a pile of them instead of a bed, mattresses were too easy for someone else's goons to mess with. A total schizoid with the survival skills of a desperate fox. And now his gaze penetrated my soul like a hail of bullets.

I had to get out. I left the room in a cold panic, a blizzard of emotions churning deep inside of me. I stumbled past the front desk. Collapsed onto a stool in the bar. But it was closed, and there was a commotion outside. It was the old man, calling a goddam family meeting or something with all of the other guests in the parking lot.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: THE REVENGE

Welcome, Dr Fell! I'm enjoying your story, this looks like classic, hard-boiled crime fiction with an intriguing Lego twist, written with flair . This 'The Brick' character sounds dangerous. I wonder which game you are playing, it looks like fun. I hope that you will continue.

Dr. Fell's Avatar Laetus

Thank you Alwyn!

The game is Lego Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge, one of the first gritty open-world RPGs. I got it for a pound at Oxfam and decided to have some fun with it.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

This is fun!

I'm really looking forward to the next chapter. Your writing is excellent, Dr. Fell; you've captured the hard-boiled style nicely. It makes me expect dangerously seductive "dames", blackjacks to the head, and shoot-outs with cornered villains. Not necessarily in that order, of course!