Thread: Fourth Age: Total War Review!

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

Default Fourth Age: Total War Review!

You guys have chosen Fourth Age, as the first review for me to do in my TWC review series. So there you go!

Default Re: Fourth Age: Total War Review!

Great, thanks for the review WC!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Thank you! And thanks for the kind words for the mod - you certainly did you homework on the early days of the mod!
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Glad to see you back into reviewing!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Great video, and thanks for the review!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Nice review, concerning your critique I must agree regarding the point of unit being all clad in the colours of their faction. However, for some reason this uniformity bothers me in this mod far less than in many others, probably because the colours are not particularly agressive.

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Nice review, concerning your critique I must agree regarding the point of unit being all clad in the colours of their faction. However, for some reason this uniformity bothers me in this mod far less than in many others, probably because the colours are not particularly agressive.
    I have to agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise Coffin View Post
    I have to agree with you.
    Same here. I hated color coding in vanilla RTW but here it seems much milder, and honestly I'd be disappointed if it was changed. Factions/races in LOTR are much more distinct then in medieval/ancient Europe, it seems natural that units are clearly different.

Is it even possible in RTW to have individual soldiers within a unit wearing different colors and equipment from each other? My understanding was that such inter-unit cosmetic diversity was only possible from M2 onward.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Is it even possible in RTW to have individual soldiers within a unit wearing different colors and equipment from each other? My understanding was that such inter-unit cosmetic diversity was only possible from M2 onward.
    Thats not what i was trying to say. What i said was that the unit roster of a faction always tries to have a equal color scheme.
    Because i know that rome 1 can't have different type of models and textures inside 1 single unit. I was merely talking of a faction orverall.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise Coffin View Post
    Thats not what i was trying to say. What i said was that the unit roster of a faction always tries to have a equal color scheme.
    Because i know that rome 1 can't have different type of models and textures inside 1 single unit. I was merely talking of a faction orverall.
    That's true, though in my experience it's more toned down in FATW, especially with the new factions and units (note also that the closed beta has a few improvements regarding one or two units). I guess it could be further toned down, but that's probably not a priority of the team right now. Also, (minor correction) did you note that contra to what you said in the video, only the Hireling units are turquoise, while the actual Dwarf units are more mixed in terms of colour?
    I get your critique but to me, a more important point would be getting some emblems on the shields of some higher tier units that seem to be missing them, for instance Retainer Swordsmen (for Rohan).

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    That's true, though in my experience it's more toned down in FATW, especially with the new factions and units (note also that the closed beta has a few improvements regarding one or two units). I guess it could be further toned down, but that's probably not a priority of the team right now. Also, (minor correction) did you note that contra to what you said in the video, only the Hireling units are turquoise, while the actual Dwarf units are more mixed in terms of colour?
    I get your critique but to me, a more important point would be getting some emblems on the shields of some higher tier units that seem to be missing them, for instance Retainer Swordsmen (for Rohan).
    I could not be focusing on all factions or i would never do this review.
    The dwarf thing i actually forgot to say. I realized that their very different and their my favorite units in the mod.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

excellent review on one of the most awesome mods ever; that's history dudes
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Good review, unique and very interesting mod, that I'm looking forward to play!