Thread: Fatal Graphics Error - End of Game, Bam!

Default Fatal Graphics Error - End of Game, Bam!

Yes, this is akin to another thread. But I wish to refresh that the workaround suggestions in the previous one don't seem to fit.

Athlon 64 (Single Core, 3700+)
    Geforce 6800GS
    Tried both my previous and the Nov 2. Nvidia drivers.

-- I am getting fatal graphics errors with menus up. The last time - A fresh reload of my campaign, I pulled up the game menu, and boom the buttons don't work. 5 secs before I get the message. At least that's it so far. Maybe I'm clicking the mouse button more than once - I dunno.

Could it be my EAX setting? Audigy 2 ZS. I have doubts.
    Have I done anything with graphics settings? No.
    No wireless keyboard.
    Joystick not plugged in
    So far battles have worked fine - haven't noticed slowdowns

Oh, and by the by. The game afterwards refuses to restart unless I reboot my computer. "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit"

:hmmm:

Default Re: Fatal Graphics Error - End of Game, Bam!

I have the exact same problem;

Pentium D (duel Core)
    Geforce 6600

Also tried updating graphics drivers and even tried a couple of old drivers and omega drivers. No Change……

I have tried running on one processor.
    I have tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it, twice now…
    I have tried different game options and resolutions….
    I have followed all of the options given in previous threads concerning craches but still, I crash exactly the same as Dantes????

My game went fine for 18 rounds and all of a sudden, I saw some slight flickering and then it would freeze for about 20 sec and then crash to a black screen….I could then drop the game by right clicking the task bar BUT If I tried to restart it, it came up with an error message…I have to restart to PC to play again…then about 1 round later, when I pull up a campaign screen, it all happens again????

:hmmm:

probably a code bug reacting with nvidia? most likely if its reported this issue should be resolves in either new drivers or a new patch for the game
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

I've had it with my ATI card many times. Try setting the PCI latency timing to 128 if you have an AGP card.

I get this message: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit"

now when I try to play a battle or campaign, or saved campaign. I don't know what could have caused it. I haven't changed anything since I last played yesterday, and it worked fine then.

Btw, robinhood, I dont know what an AGP card is, so is my card (Radeon X850) an AGP card?

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

I used to have this fatal graphics error.

By switching my RAM sticks (2*512 MB: Slot 1 in slot 2 and slot 2 in slot 1) I can play the grand campaign without any error. During battles, "Fatal graphics error" can occure, but less often than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    I get this message: "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit"

now when I try to play a battle or campaign, or saved campaign. I don't know what could have caused it. I haven't changed anything since I last played yesterday, and it worked fine then.

Btw, robinhood, I dont know what an AGP card is, so is my card (Radeon X850) an AGP card?
    Hello, I'm pretty new here but I do love this game. I just wanted to say I got that one too! It started after getting a message that my virtual memory was being expanded or something. I now get it when I want to play a battle. It will load, but when I press 'start battle' I get that message and the game shuts down. CTD. I don't get it as it worked pretty well so far. Frustrating.

I do know my ATI card (radeon 9600 I believe) is borderline and I will get me a new one. Big battles are impossible to do with the lag.

Edit: I want back some turns and the problem didn't occur there. It seems to be confined to a certain situation in time and space. Had something like that happen in Rome too. Weird.
    Last edited by kimmus; November 26, 2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: change

Ditto This. I get this whenever i view any form of video: Marriage, Crusade etc. So of course im now stuck with a continouous CTD as there's a new Pope, and it automatically plays the icon, any ideas?

pero's Avatar Miles

yeah i have problems with my video card to
    im just playing and out of the blue when playing battles game just freezes. then i have to restart my comp. It really pisses me off when im about to win a long battle and the stupid thing freezes.
    Um caruje, Snaga klade valja!!!

Same here, seems all my saves are fried now too on this campaign.

My system;
    Core Duo E6600
    2GB RAM
    X1900XTX
    Audigy 2ZS Platinum <------ wonder if it's good ol' creative at work here....
    XP Pro

Hello, I have a strange problem since I upgraded my pc.
    First I had an athlon 3800+, an asrock motherboard and an asus 7900GS. The game went well but not on max. settings and huge unitsizes. So I bought a Core Duo E6600 and an asus P5B Deluxe motherboard same card the system runs good but when I play battles in MTW2 after about 2 minutes I become the message: Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit"
    I have updated the videocard drivers and still there is the same problem. I have no idea whats wrong. So can anyone help me please! Could it be about the ram because I have the same noname ram(DDR2) on the new system like on the old system.:hmmm:

greetings.

-

So what finally?? It has happened to me twice and I've got pretty nice specs. Dunno which are the requirements really needed to play without any faults.
    May be 1 GB video card.
    Is that break up a RAM problem, Graphic (Don't think so: I've my drivers up graded) or simply a bug???

Can you try disabling v-sync and switching to shader 1 under your graphics options? That worked for me and I used to have the same crash -- not any more. Maybe that would nail down this problem that seems to affect a lot of people.

guys, my son has the same problem with his pc, although it works for (many!) hours without a glitch on mine.
    Had strange problems installing and running bf2 in the past, and bizarly it turned out to be a ram fault. i found the tip in an obscure post, and it recommended running the MEMTEST86 util to check the ram. EVERYTHING ELSE had worked fine but memtest found loads of errors. replaced the ram and all fine. (http://www.memtest.org/)
    I'll try this on my sons pc to see if this is the cause here too. (based on the aboce post saying memory swap around fixed his / her prob. good luck!
    G