Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win10, 7, 8 fixes

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Win10, 7, 8 fixes

Yep, that's what I do but I am running win 7 ultimate on my game system, play's any game I want to play.
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

Bit late to upgrading to Windows 10.
    Loaded it in and as mentioned here Roma Surrectum does not work. Actually a few old games do not work.

Is there any fix?
    I only have the one PC.
    Have gone back to Windows 7

I do not have or use Steam, have the disks.

Then the 64k question...
    Shall I stay with Win7 and play Roma or move onto Win10 and hope there is a fix in the future ?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

As I mentioned elsewhere, it's Microsoft's removal of SECDRV.sys that causes these problems. If you go back to Win7, don't update it because Microsoft axed it in there as well.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Not a problem.
    Have gone back to Win7 and am enjoying the game.
    Thanks for the reply.

How you do is as follows, its very easy, but done wrong.
    1.Copy the Alex CONTENT, (not the folder back into the BI/GOLD folder, overwrite everything).
    2.Dont install it in the C:/root, install it in the document/folder instead! otherwise weird things will happen!!!...
    3.Install 2.5, install 3 (3.1) enjoy!
    4.Done! (dont have to fipple with strange settings) just remember to deactive the antialias and set the settings

to high (for the most part) it will crash if you have ultrahigh.
    5. As a bonus for playing with Alex.exe you got formation, improved AI and much more!...
    This mod should be mandatory for every historical battle-nerd out there...

You dont have to fipple with securerom, i think its hardcoded in the C:/ therefore
    i moved the alex installation to documents instead, works like a charm...

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    As I mentioned elsewhere, it's Microsoft's removal of SECDRV.sys that causes these problems. If you go back to Win7, don't update it because Microsoft axed it in there as well.
    Actually is not necesssary to downgrade to Win 7.

Im playing RS 3.1 with Win 10 and it works flawlessly.

The problem is hardwired due to (i think) secure-rom that its in the root C:/ I maybe wrong about this though.

But i have moved my installation AWAY from C:/

To my documents...yes the folder namely named Documents, there i have my game..

And it works now,, didnt before when i hade it in C:/...so theres the culprint, move away the installation when done,
    and store it on a USB-disc or wherever just in case...

If updated Windows systems or Windows 10 don't allow people to play their old games, wouldn't it be possible to use VirtualBox or any other virtual machine on those computers to install a version of Windows which allows them to play their games?

Quote Originally Posted by Gusten Grodslukare View Post
    If updated Windows systems or Windows 10 don't allow people to play their old games, wouldn't it be possible to use VirtualBox or any other virtual machine on those computers to install a version of Windows which allows them to play their games?
    Seems obsolite, because the only things that relly matter is the matter of antialiasing in windows xp,7,8 and with windows 10
    you cant have Antialiasing, but i dont really bother, its a matter of choice,

either you should play an excellent mod (the best mod for the the best game ever) Alex.exe -engine (RS.3.1 patched)

Or you play it on a older machine with antialiasing so, for me there is only one choice, and for good reasons!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12