Thread: Legolas's Accuracy

Icon3 Legolas's Accuracy

You may know that Legolas in Historical battles often miss when shooting at enemy, it is different from Legolas in Lord of the Rings Series.
    You need to edit these file:
    • descr_projectile_new.txt
    • export_descr_edit.txt

First, you have to add these lines to the bottom of descr_projectile_new.txt

projectile sharp_arrow

damage 0
    radius 0.1
    accuracy_vs_units 0.01
    min_angle -60
    max_angle 70
    velocity 60
    display aimed
    triangle
    texture data/textures/arrow_test.tga
    tail 0.9
    length 3.0
    tail_tex0 0 0.0
    tail_tex1 0 0.25
    head_tex 1 0.125
    end
    That is my custom projectile i made for Legolas

Next you need to edit this part in export_descr_unit.txt :
    type legolas
    dictionary legolas ; Legolas archer for HB (single)
    category infantry
    class light
    voice_type Heavy_1
    soldier legolas_bow, 6, 0, 2, 1, 1.7
    attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, hide_long_grass, very_hardy, general_unit, no_custom
    formation 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, square
    stat_health 9, 30
    stat_pri 22, 0, arrow_elf, 170, 30, missile, archery, piercing, none, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr ap, bp
    stat_sec 7, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, knife, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr area, ap
    stat_pri_armour 16, 12, 11, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 2, flesh
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental 50, disciplined, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 4, 1000, 350, 150, 150, 1001
    ownership seleucid, macedon, thrace, carthage, gauls, germans
    to

type legolas
    dictionary legolas ; Legolas archer for HB (single)
    category infantry
    class light
    voice_type Heavy_1
    soldier legolas_bow, 6, 0, 2, 1, 1.7
    attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, hide_long_grass, very_hardy, general_unit, no_custom
    formation 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, square
    stat_health 9, 30
    stat_pri 22, 0, sharp_arrow, 170, 30, missile, archery, piercing, none, 25 ,1
    stat_pri_attr ap, bp
    stat_sec 7, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, knife, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr area, ap
    stat_pri_armour 16, 12, 11, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 2, flesh
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
    stat_mental 50, disciplined, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 4, 1000, 350, 150, 150, 1001
    ownership seleucid, macedon, thrace, carthage, gauls, germans
    "sharp_arrow" is the name of my custom projectile.

So i showed you what i did with Legolas's Accuracy, now Legolas will have 98% to one hit kill.
    Good luck.

Default Re: Legolas's Accuracy

Hey very cool, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    Hey very cool, thanks for sharing!
    Did you try it on?

Quote Originally Posted by vanka123 View Post
    Did you try it on?
    Not yet, but I can make a point of trying it if you'd like confirmation that it works right.

Yep, seems to work for me, interesting that "accuracy_vs_units" is actually a measure of inaccuracy eh?

Yep, seems to work for me, interesting that "accuracy_vs_units" is actually a measure of inaccuracy eh?
    yes. You may see in descr_projectile_new.txt there is some projectile has accuracy_vs_units too.
    The less point, the more accuracy it does.

Hey, so I did some further testing today thinking about the implementation of increased accuracy for certain units in the campaign but I found the increased accuracy makes very little difference in how effective a unit of archers is (especially considering how much work it would be to make all the changes while trying to keep stuff balanced).

I'm guessing the main reason for this is because there's an overlap between the targets of the different arrows being fired into a given group of soldiers (ie. the same soldier is being targeted by multiple arrows) so, even when the relative accuracy increases, the actual effect is pretty minimal, unless of course you're dealing with some form of artillery (Saruman's fireballs, or single soldier legolas, for example).

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Hey, so I did some further testing today thinking about the implementation of increased accuracy for certain units in the campaign but I found the increased accuracy makes very little difference in how effective a unit of archers is (especially considering how much work it would be to make all the changes while trying to keep stuff balanced). I'm guessing the main reason for this is because there's an overlap between the targets of the different arrows being fired into a given group of soldiers (ie. the same soldier is being targeted by multiple arrows) so, even when the relative accuracy increases, the actual effect is pretty minimal, unless of course you're dealing with some form of artillery (Saruman's fireballs, or single soldier legolas, for example). Anyway, just thought I'd share.
    Thanks for your sharing. If you found that increase the accuracy of unit not so effective, you may try to descrease the accuracy of them. You may know how they shoot, as the fiery boulder of catapult. Very poor accurate.Yes, if you have only one soldier with the high accurate, it will more effective than a group. Legolas in HB is a example. I think you may tried it and knew how deathly Legolas be while he kill many uruks. I have a question that can we make Legolas in war of the ring uses bow? He just uses his fighting knifes and permanent lost his skillful at his bow.

I think you may tried it and knew how deathly Legolas be while he kill many uruks. I have a question that can we make Legolas in war of the ring uses bow? He just uses his fighting knifes and permanent lost his skillful at his bow.
    Basically yea, it's worth changing stats for units shooting a very small number of missiles (less than 6 or so I'd guess) but for any unit larger than that the actual increase in kills is so small that it's not really worth it.

Legolas in the campaign does not use his bow because he's coded as a unique character general and, because of the way the RTW engine is set up, generals cannot use bows. Legolas in HB is coded as a soldier rather than a general and scripting just kills off the rest of his company before the battle begins.

It's a complicated set of tricks they've used to get the engine to do the things it does in this mod.

Basically yea, it's worth changing stats for units shooting a very small number of missiles (less than 6 or so I'd guess) but for any unit larger than that the actual increase in kills is so small that it's not really worth it.

Legolas in the campaign does not use his bow because he's coded as a unique character general and, because of the way the RTW engine is set up, generals cannot use bows. Legolas in HB is coded as a soldier rather than a general and scripting just kills off the rest of his company before the battle begins.

It's a complicated set of tricks they've used to get the engine to do the things it does in this mod.
    ok,got it. So what will you do next?

So what will you do next?
    Well I've used this new knowledge to adjust Legolas both HB and campaign as well as the finishing touch for elephant Saruman, which I'm fairly pleased with. I've also made a few more incremental changes since the last release so, barring any unforseen disasters, I'll release one more version of the campaigns addon which will probably be final.

Otherwise if I had all the time in the world, I'd go about adding in a Roman faction using the apparently un-used Pontus slot for the Free for All campaign at least and then working on the Return of Numenor campaign. But both of those would be pretty time consuming. And given that there are still quite a few annoying little bugs left in the game which are beyond abilities (and hardware/software) I'm not really sure if it's even worth putting in the extra work for any additional campaigns at this point.

Icon6 Re: Legolas's Accuracy

Well I've used this new knowledge to adjust Legolas both HB and campaign as well as the finishing touch for elephant Saruman, which I'm fairly pleased with. I've also made a few more incremental changes since the last release so, barring any unforseen disasters, I'll release one more version of the campaigns addon which will probably be final.

Otherwise if I had all the time in the world, I'd go about adding in a Roman faction using the apparently un-used Pontus slot for the Free for All campaign at least and then working on the Return of Numenor campaign. But both of those would be pretty time consuming. And given that there are still quite a few annoying little bugs left in the game which are beyond abilities (and hardware/software) I'm not really sure if it's even worth putting in the extra work for any additional campaigns at this point.
    Ok. Good luck to you, CapnDan