Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlemagne DLC Incoming?

Default Re: Charlemagne DLC Incoming?

This thread reminds me why I can't stand European ethnocentric views. The social construct that is ethnicity needs to go the way of the dodo. At least then I won't have to see people complaining about so and so historical peoples not being included being a disrespect to themselves and their cultural community.

It's pretty hilarious (and rather pitiful) that those two are claiming that CA is racist, and has some conspiracy to put Germans above anyone else. Completely disregarding the fact Attila's most well received DLC so far, has been entirely focused on Eastern factions.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Charlemagne and Warhammer, what a time to play total war games

Also, on the "germanic DLC" topic, Total War Attila is principally about Attila, and therefore the germanic migrations the Huns caused. It's purely normal to have a lots of germans playable, as they are the people who will rule Western Europe for the next centuries to come, and as you guys love History as much as me, we all know what Western Europe will become during the next centuries

I would love more "exotic" DLC, like the Slavic culture pack or else, but let's be honest, Germanic DLC for Attila are obviousness

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    This is not only about everything being German. This is about Attila Total War focusing almost everything on Western Europe as if it were some shining beacon of civilization during the period. 6 of the game's 7 DLC have been about Western Europe and if you try to play a campaign in the East you're either going to deal with endless Hunnic death stacks or endless Sassanid stacks. I don't know why they bothered to extend the campaign map beyond Italy to begin with. (Of course to show how Eastern Europe is Germanic/Gothic)

I do not think that I can ever trust CA enough to spend my money on another historic title from them again. Hopefully in the coming years they will start getting some competition from a company that cares more about the accurate portrayal of history and creating a balanced game rather than badassness and graphics. I should have known how Attila would turn out from the beginning when I saw trailers of Vikings punching Romans.

This is the end of the road for Attila DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    This thread reminds me why I can't stand European ethnocentric views. The social construct that is ethnicity needs to go the way of the dodo. At least then I won't have to see people complaining about so and so historical peoples not being included being a disrespect to themselves and their cultural community.

OMFG - not Adding the First Bulgarian Empire,but adding the Avars that were irreverent in that time period due to their own Disunity.????? The Third Powerful Empire in Europe in that Time together with ERE and the Franks.....
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; October 06, 2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: censor bypass/off-topic/insulting

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    I can't stand the fact that whenever people discuss Eastern European culture/history it is looked down upon as ethnocentric nationalism. If a British person demands King Arthur or a German discusses Vikings it is seen as "pop culture." Maybe people in the East are sick of being force fed the thought that everything "European" revolves around a Western European axis. Important regions with great medieval kingdoms (i.e. Bulgaria/Serbia) were omitted even as a province from Medieval 2 Total War yet tiny Scotland (that is famous only for eventually being conquered by England) was a playable faction with tons of unique units and a handful of regions to rule. No one on this forum can deny the fact that Attila Total War is Westernocentric in the extreme.

This situation strikes me hard because I am a travel writer, ethnographer (I do research concerning folklore, unique customs, and historical sites in local villages), and I occasionally dab into archaeology. With Rome 2 I got the mild impression that CA suddenly began to care about historical accuracy and they honestly did pretty good work on that game, even concerning Eastern European cultures/factions. I had high hopes for Attila and it seems that they cannot get away from the well of their Germanic core roster because no other research went into this game beyond looking at a map with lines of Germanic migrations all over it. They even saw a line titled "Alans" and assumed that it must also be Germanic. There is nothing ethnocentric about my views, I am not asking for a "Romanian" faction I simply want to see the Eastern half of Europe represented with the same level of care that the Western half has gotten. What is wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbossbalrog View Post
    It's pretty hilarious (and rather pitiful) that those two are claiming that CA is racist, and has some conspiracy to put Germans above anyone else. Completely disregarding the fact Attila's most well received DLC so far, has been entirely focused on Eastern factions.
    Racist is a very big word to throw around so be careful about that mate. I am very pleased with the Empires of Sand DLC, my problem is that there has only been one DLC focusing on the East while we have had FIVE that has been focused on Western Europe. That does not strike you as wrong in any way? What exactly do you expect a Charlemagne Campaign to add to the Grand Campaign? What new factions will we get for multiplayer? CA is reusing the same content and selling it as new.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Guys

what if it's a Stand-Alone, just like Fall of the Samouraļ?

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    OMFG - not Adding the First Bulgarian Empire,but adding the Avars that were irreverent in that time period due to their own Disunity.????? The Third Powerful Empire in Europe in that Time together with ERE and the Franks.....
    I wonder if CA is even aware of the titanic struggle that was going on between the Roman Empire and the First Bulgarian Empire at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    adding the Avars that were irreverent in that time
    The Avars will be a Germanic tribe)))
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; October 06, 2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: continuitiny
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Extremely nice period but it's also extremely unlikely it will be done any justice by this dlc, and it is a strange move decluding some areas. But for TW Karling mod this is probably going to be useful.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    The Avars will be a Germanic tribe)))
    YES i VOTE 100% for that !!!

WE WANT MORE GERMANS!!!!

MORE GERMANS!!!! MORE GERMANS!!!!

MORE!!!!
    Not slavs and nomads - they are irreverent.We only love the Germanic People...

Germans über alles in this game - they rocks !!!(what are thinking CA in their heads)(being sarcastic not insulting)
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; October 06, 2015 at 03:16 PM.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Are we all honestly surprised it is Charlemagne? People wanted another campaign, and Charlemagne is the most iconic figure of the Migration Era (which was still in progress in the 8th century, by the way) and Charlemagne is also one of the most influential historical figures in all of European history. CA might as well make a campaign about him since he is the figure that closes off this era of history. Meanwhile, only Greeks and some late-Roman enthusiasts actually know about Emperor Haraclius, and most people would probably get that name mixed up with Hercules or Herakles. Charlemagne is a name Frenchmen, Germans, Brits, Italians and all other Europeans will know.

And what is the concern with the map not extending east? The Avars are in, so we can guess that Hungary is on the map. Honestly we don't need more of these Romano-Sassanid Wars that CA can't balance for anything.

Frankly, I think this is satisfactory idea. I know people had enough of the overload of the Germanic factions in this game, but I have no problem with that as long as it is not like the Suebi Free-LC. The era would also center around a new migration period, where this time the Turks and Slavs spread their names throughout Europe. Plus, Charlemagne is a figure that deserves a Total War campaign centered around him. I look forward to this DLC, and I sincerely hope that this item will be something very enjoyable and satisfactory.

I wouldn't mind a campaign centered around a character with quests missions and stuff, a kind of test before warhammer. And if you finish all the quest, you can claim the crown of Emperor.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Doomon18's Avatar Foederatus

where did you find buildings info? can they be Imported at this moment?

I like the idea of Charlemagne DLC but imo they should include map to the Constantinople so that it we would have Greece, Bulgaria and up north to Ukraine this would add more flavor to Central-Eastern-South Europe and regions around Black Sea. After all this was the time when Slavs settled for the most part so we would have lots of small factions scattered around, some mybe in hordes, then we would have big Bulgarian kingdom, also Byzantium - weakened ofc.. As pope u could lead christianization operations or force religion on factions etc.
    Last edited by Fanest; October 06, 2015 at 04:06 PM.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    judging by the regions included it seems they will leave out whole eastern part of the map - including ERE, Bulgars, Arabs etc. all these could be really interesting - Bulgar - ERE wars, ERE - Arab wars
    I would have to disagree because of the fact that one of the factions is byz for Byzantine.

Quote Originally Posted by radsix View Post
    I would have to disagree because of the fact that one of the factions is byz for Byzantine.
    Thats because they had lands on Italian peninsula, Sicily, Sardinia and they just cant leave them out

http://www.emersonkent.com/map_archi...lifate_814.htm
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Charlemagne is one of the most influential and well known figures from all history.

I don't want to play as some random Slavs, I want to be the Franks and kick the out of the Moors.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; October 06, 2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Off-Topic/Personal Reference

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

This campaign sounds great though, and it will be pretty diverse, especially if you can play as the Moors in Spain.

Everyone also seems to be forgetting that this is the period of the first Viking raids into England the rest of Europe, so viking stacks appearing in your land will be good fun, or playing as them.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; October 06, 2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Off-Topic
    AE Dev, mainly units

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Damn, mini-map. I happen to like the time period and factions, just seems like it will be TLR's map with Germany, Britain and Ireland. I suppose we'll have to rely on modders for more GC content. Can anyone explain how the Avars would be in Croatia, Swabia, or Bavaria, or even Carinthia? (also don't pout guys, there will be Slavs on the map)
    Last edited by Lugotorix; October 06, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Was it with this forum and salty Eastern Europeans?

Charlemagne is one of the most influential and well known figures from all history.

I don't want to play as some random Slavs, I want to be the Franks and kick the out of the Moors.
    I agree, the slaves need to calm down just a tad bit