Thread: Hoplite recruit turn

Default Hoplite recruit turn

I understand the reason why the Spartan Hoplites's recruit turn is crazy, but why is hoplite like Greek Hoplite and Celtic Hoplite requires 2 turns to recruit? Indo Hoplite, Triarii, Carthage Hoplite, and other similar units require only one turn. I know how to change them, but I'm just interested in why the 2 turns requirement. Is it game balance?

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Hoplite recruit turn

IIRC the idea was to represent the greater difficulty in recruiting hoplites because they were drawn from a class of relatively wealthy citizens, with a tradition of fighting as hoplites.

Tiro

AFAIK the Triarii used to fight with a hoplite shield around 280 BC.
    Proud winner of the first XCmas contest of the Extended Cultures mod (XC)
    “War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” – Bertrand Russell
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
    “Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.” – Heinrich Heine
    "You know you're a history fan when you still get upset thinking about the Library of Alexandria." – unknown

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    AFAIK the Triarii used to fight with a hoplite shield around 280 BC.
    Not sure where you got this information, but I think it's safe to say that this wasn't the case.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

The Romans are believed to have used Hoplite equipment and tactics up to c. 300 BC, and Dionysius of Halicarnassus mentions a couple of Roman towns where the Greek style of equipment was still popular in the time of Augustus. So it's quite likely that some Romans were still using the aspis in 280 BC. Some people guess that anyone who was still using a heavy spear as a primary weapon was probably still using the aspis, but there are no historical sources to confirm this, and Polybius gives the impression that all Roman legionaries were using the scutum.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; October 07, 2015 at 07:16 PM.

Let's just call it the "hoplon" to get the confusion out the way for anyone reading this
    Furthermore the Triarii were supposed to supply their own gear, so maybe some of them used hoplons instead of scuta for any reason imaginable. But it seems quite unlikely.

Don't Triarii take two turns to recruit?

Either way, I don't mind. I love this mod... though am yet to crack it just yet. So I just keep bashing away at it...

I stand corrected, Triarii DOES require two turns. At least I know for sure Indo Hoplite require only one turn, since I just had a blast creating a Baktrian empire XD, and then accidentally triggered the Chakravartin(?) title while I was avoiding the True Diadochi title. This would mean my empire's gonna go downhill from here T_T