Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police in Jerusalem bar Palestinians from entering Old City after stabbings

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Police in Jerusalem bar Palestinians from entering Old City after stabbings

After stabbings, police bar Palestinians from Jerusalem’s Old City
    Temple Mount access restricted; IDF said circling home of terror leader in Jenin as unrest persists in West Bank, capital

So, what do you guys think? Was this the right move in response to some Palestinian youths stabbing Israelis? As the article explains, Muslim men aged 50 and above plus Muslim women are allowed to pray on the Temple Mount. That seems to be the clearest possible statement that young Muslim men are the threat here (although the attackers have since been killed by Israeli security forces). Even then, Muslims will only be allowed in through the Lion Gate of the Old City, while average Israeli citizens and even tourists can go and do whatever they want.

This obviously is not a viable solution for the long term, but how much more often do you think we'll see Israeli policy tactics of segregation like this moving forward? I'm not judging them for enacting this policy, since people are scared and rightfully have no desire to get stabbed by some terrorist just for walking around minding their own business. However, this policy is also unsustainable, is it not?

Default Re: Police in Jerusalem bar Palestinians from entering Old City after stabbings

Its designed as a temporary measure to try to calm things down, and therefore not meant to be sustainable. It'll be lifted soon enough, though some similar case may lengthen it first (most of these don't make it to the western media, but we have them on a monthly basis as of late, and less severe attacks daily).

Though the temple mount limitations specifically ought to be made permanent if you ask me. Seeing as how there are multiple riots there on a weekly basis, and there's not much discrimination going on seeing as Jews aren't allowed up there at all (mostly because one of our dumber past prime ministers started an Intifada that way), it would probably save everyone a lot of trouble if only the elderly and therefore less hot headed were allowed up there.
    The rioters don't even seem to have any demands. They just heard rumors Israel was changing the status quo of access to the site (we weren't), and started acting up. Seeing as they're already upset about changes, we might as well actually enact some to try to improve things long term.
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

Default Re: Police in Jerusalem bar Palestinians from entering Old City after stabbings

It will only get resolved after a general uprising by the Palestinian, with thousands martyred and the Israeli government realizing their position in East Jerusalem is untenable.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

Me everytime I hear from that stupid petty conflict:

Seriously, I hope they all wipe out each other and stop poison the rest of the world with their childish skirmish. Both parties act like spoiled little brats only there isn´t a parent in sight that bounces their heads together and locks them in a room until they come to their senses.
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

Jews are also often banned from the temple mount by Israeli police.

Just recently:

The Israel Police announced Wednesday evening that the Temple Mount complex in Jerusalem will not be open to Jews or other visitors Thursday, during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice). Muslim worship at the site, which has been a seen increasing violence in recent weeks, will be unrestricted and Palestinians from the West Bank will be permitted access.
    This particular event was the culmination of the situation that has been going on for awhile now, for example: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...704646,00.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

@Caligula's Horse and Sumskilz: thanks for clarifying about Jews being blocked as well.

@KR153: Spoken like a true German, who has better things to worry about, like managing Greece's economy.

Or figuring out how to rescue the Folks' Wagon, which is economically more important than Greece.

Ordinarius

'Some palestinian youth stab'??
    2 innocents were brutally murderd and a baby was shot while his mother was begging for her life!
    Not to mention the daily baisis Molotov and rocks on Jews.

They should do to Israel what they did to Rhodesia and South Africa. We've got to make sure that country is culturally enriched.

Blaze86420's Avatar Praepositus

Small price to pay for destroying a nation and usurping it's land. I don't see why Israelis are angry, they should be celebrating it was only 2 deaths and not an intifada's worth of casualties.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It is a matter of time before a new intifanda happens. And this because the only Israel sollution is to repress Palestinians

It's a complication, but I think the ME equation seems to be now constantly recalculated.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
    Small price to pay for destroying a nation and usurping it's land. I don't see why Israelis are angry, they should be celebrating it was only 2 deaths and not an intifada's worth of casualties.
    What nation ?

Palestinian cunning have already acquired them the honour of their flag being raised in the UN; getting a general resolution passed declaring them a member doesn't seem far off.

They've been slowly acquiring recognition from other international organizations, and Israeli comments about such actions not helping the situation are generally viewed with cynicism.

Odenat's Avatar Senator

Well, if Israelis are unhappy, they can give freedom to Palestinians and liberate the lands they occupied. Palestinians are fighting for their freedom, Israelis are fighting to preserve the lands they occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Odenat View Post
    Well, if Turks are unhappy, they can give freedom to Kurds and liberate the lands they occupied. Kurds are fighting for their freedom, Turks are fighting to preserve the lands they occupied.
    Dangerous precedent.

Odenat's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by FireElemental View Post
    Dangerous precedent.
    But Turks are not unhappy. We didn't occupy those lands 50 years ago. Kurdish are not living at the concentration camps. Turkish citizens are not burning Kurdish babies, Turkish airforce does not bomb Kurdish children playing football at the beach, Turkish helicopters are not bombing Kurdish weddings. And we do not beat people trying to go to a mosque to pray!

Thanks God i'm not an Israeli.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
    Celebrating, huh? Like we should be thanking those terrorists from a few days ago who are being praised for their mercy for sparing the children even as they executed their parents in front of them? I wish I was making this up, but there is no shortage of Palestinians who really are taking pride in it.

There never was a Palestinian nation for us to destroy (the Palestinians only started forming as a nationality in the beginning of the 20th century, under the Ottomans, partially in response to the nationalism of the immigrating Jews), and at this rate, there may never will be. Intifadas hurt Israel, sure, but they hurt the Palestinians a whole lot worse.
    We could have just avoided this whole mess if the Arabs accepted the 47' UN partition plan like the soon-to-be Israelis did...

Quote Originally Posted by Odenat View Post
    But Turks are not unhappy. We didn't occupy those lands 50 years ago. Kurdish are not living at the concentration camps. Turkish citizens are not burning Kurdish babies, Turkish airforce does not bomb Kurdish children playing football at the beach, Turkish helicopters are not bombing Kurdish weddings. And we do not beat people trying to go to a mosque to pray!
    Those Kurds Erdogan is currently conducting military operations against, both in and outside Turkey would disagree.

Palestinians also aren't living in concentration camps. Plenty are huddled up into permanent refugee camps because the Arab states that controlled the territory after 48 consciously decided not to let them integrate into society (thinking it'd be easier to take out Israel and banish them there). Israel only inherited the existing situation when we took the territory in 67, and this time it was the Palestinians themselves who chose not to integrate (unlike the ones we have since 48, which are integrated and enjoy full citizenship, as well as the better standards of living then in any of the Arab countries other then oil principalities like Qatar and the UAE).

The Palestinians in Gaza are under blockade, true, but that's because Gaza is being used to stage military operations against Israeli civilians by Hamas, which let me remind you the Palestinians elected into power. Conditions in the West Bank are actually pretty decent, with the one glaring exception of Israeli military activity which is mostly focused on stopping terrorists like Hamas or the Islamic Jihad from operating in the area.
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

KR153's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

@KR153: Spoken like a true German, who has better things to worry about, like managing Greece's economy.
    What do you know about being a German? Especially as an US citizen, since the US with its jewish lobby is the only reason the state of Israel thinks it can act like it does. And since greece´s economy is that of an 19th century 3rd world country, maybe the one or other advice could come in handy. What went wrong there was screwed up by banks and certain levels of the whole european governments. I see why Germany is an easy blame though.
    Believe it or not, I would love to see this chapter of the middle east closed in peace, but as it looks today there´s absolutely no true will to that on either side. The fact alone that every leader who truely seeked peace got killed (in most cases by their own people!) speaks volumes. So yes, if they simply can´t live in peace, either side should seek a decision for good. Everything is better than this.
    NIE WEDDER SLAAV VUN ROM!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast