Thread: Blindness has been cured, thanks to the Brits!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Default Blindness has been cured, thanks to the Brits!

British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related macular degeneration

I discussed something similar in another thread relating to deaf people, but this is a real breakthrough. So then, what are the implications? Now that older people no longer have to suffer blindness, will this contribute to the diminishing of the blind community around the world? People are still born blind, of course, so the culture might never disappear, but this is promising. If you went blind, would you go through with this procedure?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Blindness has been cured, thanks to the Brits!

I don't see why not except for insurance reasons (in the US). Good on you err former mother country. Nobody bats and eye at glaucoma surgery or lasic anymore. The human experience is so eye related any advance is good news that keeps them working.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Great effort. For other forms of blindness they will have to wait for the bionic eye which I believe there's a race on to produce in Australia and the UK.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Ludicus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Citizen

Roma_Vitrix
    Blindness has been cured, thanks to the Brits!
    The first europe´s human embryonic stem cell transplant was done in Moorfield's in 2012, in a patient with Stargardt's disease.
    Lets keep the things in proportion, (I work with antiangiogenics/AMD, since the very beggining):we need a cautious optimism.
    Clinical Trials For Dry AMD Treatment | Macular Degeneration
    Last edited by Ludicus; October 08, 2015 at 03:02 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy