Thread: Annoying ocean sound in every custom map

Default Annoying ocean sound in every custom map

how to deactivate the ing ocean sound that I hear all the time in the background in every map? I think it is the ocean sound. But I cannot remove it or lower it's volume. I even deleted the "descr_sounds_enviro.txt" file and the sounds are still there. Someone help please!

Default Re: Annoying ocean sound in every custom map

Open descr_sounds_enviro.txt, find this:
    Code:
        type ocean
            event mindist 60 fadein 1 fadeout 1
                folder data/sounds/SFX/Environment/water
                Ocean_Distant
            end
    and add a semi-colon in front of "Ocean_Distant".

Or add "volume -200" somewhere in the 'event' line...

doesn't work! Didn't you read my text!? Even by deleting the text file, the sounds are still there.

I did read your text. Deleting a file isn't really the safest way to go about it. I wonder why the game didn't crash when you did that. Are you playing vanilla or a mod? Have you changed anything else in the game? If you're on Vista and above, have you empted the Virtual Store (in case your system draws the game files from there)?

I don't know what you mean. Yes it is vanilla.

The sound you're hearing is probably not the ocean, but the wind. Just go to the 'enviro' file, and add a semi-colon in front of every wind-related sound file name.

Code:
        wind calm        15, 30
            season spring, summer, autumn
                climates test_climate, temperate_grassland_fertile, temperate_grassland_infertile, temperate_forest_open, temperate_forest_deep, 

swamp, highland, alpine, sub_arctic
                    event volume 0
                        folder data/sounds/SFX/Environment/weather
                    ;Wind_Calm_01 
                    ;Wind_Calm_02 
                    end
        wind breezes    20, 40
            season spring, summer, autumn
                climates test_climate, temperate_grassland_fertile, temperate_grassland_infertile, temperate_forest_open, temperate_forest_deep, 

swamp, highland, alpine, sub_arctic
                    event
                        folder data/sounds/SFX/Environment/weather
                    ;Wind_Breezes_02 volume -15
                    ;Wind_Calm_01
                    end

etc...

Nah, it doesn't help. Every change you make, doesn't effect the game at all.

I forgot to mention that after changing the text file, you need to create a blank (0 byte) text file and rename it to events.dat (the "dat" should be the extension, replacing the "txt"). Then put it in data/sounds, replacing the existing one (back the old one up first, just in case). That should do the trick and allow your changes to register.

man. Are u serious!? Replacing the whole "events.dat" with a blank file is a stupid idea. I don't want to lose all the ambient sound, just make the wind sound quiter or go.

Quote Originally Posted by PlautusLeo View Post
    man. Are u serious!? Replacing the whole "events.dat" with a blank file is a stupid idea. I don't want to lose all the ambient sound, just make the wind sound quiter or go.
    You're so ungrateful. Aradan is trying to help you here, and all you can do is be a total tool because it isn't exactly what you want. After about four times repeating the question in different parts of the forum and essentially on anyone giving you a response, you've shown yourself to be a total jackass. Stop being a whiner and be thankful that someone was trying to help you.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Why don't you ask why instead of assuming it is a stupid idea and criticizing someone with more knowledge of RTW modding than just about anybody else. Making the file a 0kb file forces the game to read the corresponding text files instead of the contents of the events.dat. If you do not create the 0kb file it will never look at the changes you are making to the files. You don't need to delete the original events.dat, just rename it and create a new blank one.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

wow, just wow

OK, anybody knowledgeable here who knows how to lower the volume of the wind sound instead of disabling the ambient sounds totally ????

wow, just wow

OK, anybody knowledgeable here who knows how to lower the volume of the wind sound instead of disabling the ambient sounds totally ????
    With that sort of attitude, I highly doubt anyone is going to answer you.

Just add "volume -X" to the event line of the relevant events (if it exists, just lower the volue further) *and* delete the .dat file (so that your changes are read by the game).

eg

Code:
        type forest
        season winter
            event mindist 5 rndvolume 0 volume -80 fadein .25 fadeout .5
                folder data/sounds/SFX/Environment/Ambience
                Wind_Trees_Gusts 
            end

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

wow, just wow

After reading your various posts and visitor messages, I'd suggest that in the future you shouldn't troll this part of the forum as its intended specifically to help and encourage people to mod (or any part really).
    Nevertheless if you really did have a problem then I'd recommend following Aradan's advice, if you really don't trust him back up your files first before trying it.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

That is weird. I thought the DAT file was the sound file, just like Music.dat, even the text files says something like /data/sounds/enviro