Thread: Far Cry 4 (Far Cry Franchise Review)

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Far Cry 4 (Far Cry Franchise Review)

Far Cry Franchise Review (2004-Present)

Hello everyone! I'm here to bring you yet another review of a game that I have played, Far Cry 3. Eventually I hope to turn this into a franchise review of Far Cry, as I have played 3 and 4 and I am currently working on 2. I know its a bit weird but since they are not really connected it does not matter. Currently the franchise has five big installments

Far Cry
    Far Cry 2
    Far Cry 3
    Far Cry Blood Dragon
    Far Cry 4

So, eventually. But for now, please enjoy this review of the third game.

(As a side note, this feels awfully similar to my approach to the AC games...review ACIII first, then follow with the rest of the franchise )

​Far Cry 3 (2012)

"I've killed so many people I've lost count. I can never come back from this. I'm a monster. I can feel the anger inside me. But somewhere inside me, I'm still more than that. Better than that..." -Jason Brody

Far Cry 3 Jason Brody, his brothers, and his friends were enjoying a simple vacation, culminating in a skydiving trip over the Rook Islands, in the Pacific Ocean. However, upon landing Brody and his companions are captured by the pirates who call Rook Island their home, and imprison them. Though Jason manages to escape his bonds, his older brother Grant is killed in the attempt by the sadistic Vaas, leader of the pirates. Now Jason must make allies with the native inhabitants, hone his skills, and become the warrior to free his friends and escape the Rook Islands. However, Jason may lose himself along the way…

Far Cry 3 is an open world first person shooter, taking place on the mysterious and dangerous Rook Islands. Within the game there are several promising features that come to mind. The Rook Islands are indeed a beautiful location, carefully constructed by Ubisoft with gameplay, story, and side activities fully in mind to bring an inspiring and deadly setting. The world is large, the northern island alone being over three miles long. Within this large world the I found the environment to be rich and lush, filled with many interesting locations, collectibles, and various plants and animals that the player utilizes in his quest to free his friends. Every location is unique, and really helps to bring the world to life. Even on the aging PS3 system, the world is quite graphically beautiful, with sunny beaches, dense forests, several towns and settlements, and many plants and animal all popping magnificently in the spirit of an tropical island paradise. The only graphical issue that does come to mind is the fact that often times textures do not load properly, and there is a fair amount of pop in at distances. However, with the magnificent size of the world, it is not entirely unacceptable for there to be some graphical hiccups.

Jason Brody is initially very inexperienced, and the game reflects this with the player progression. Though he himself is very timid and even shocked at his first acts of violence, the depravity of the situation forces him to improve himself. There are numerous skills to acquire, shown in the game by showing him acquiring “tataus” (tattoos) that show his skills, unlocking with each new one. These skills as well as the the upgrades in weapons, weapon modifications, as well as upgrading equipment through hunting is one of the best features of Far Cry, as it feels natural for the player, through Brody, to need to improve himself to become the “warrior” to rescue his friends and defeat his enemies. The only flaw that comes with this is that naturally players who are familiar with FPS mechanics may not really need to upgrade that much and may skip it, depriving themselves of a useful mechanic. I myself generally ignored it until closer to the end of the game when I felt it became necessary to take on some higher level goons.

Combat is also an impressive highlight of the game, which is good because I normally find gameplay from FPS’s to be relatively boring. Brody has numerous weapons available to him, and the additional skills mean that by the end of the game Brody is indeed a deadly warrior. The combat mechanics themselves are fairly straight forward as it is an FPS, but along with up to four main weapons Brody can also utilize mines, grenades, and others to assist him. All of these weapons can be found, purchased, or given for free upon completion of certain side activities. The only (sort of) flaw in the combat involves one weapon: the bow. Upgraded, the bow and up to 25 arrows along with even some special arrows makes Brody almost ludicrously powerful, as the arrows are for the most part one hit kills, and can be reused. Their added silent capabilities also make them ideal for stealth as well. With some practice it would not be entirely difficult to accomplish much of the game with only the bow, which should not be how the game should really be played. However, that is really up to the player to decide. It is simply a bit much that a bow and arrow is good enough to take on a veritable army of men armed with assault rifles, grenades, and other high-end weapons.

Other positive features of the game include the sense of exploration. There are many things to collect and do in the Rook Islands. Of note are the strongholds and radio towers, scattered throughout the two main islands. Strongholds, once captured, become spawn points, fast travels, and safehouses where weapons can be purchased and equipped, while radio towers, once climbed, reveal parts of the map. If this sounds incredibly similar to the Viewpoint mechanic in Assassin’s Creed, you are correct. However each stronghold and radio tower do offer something different, as the strongholds have different set ups while the towers must be climbed in different ways. So while repetitive, Ubisoft did at least try to mix it up with each one. Another interesting feature is the hunting and crafting, already mentioned above. Rook Island has plenty of native animals, and Brody can hunt them to use their skins to upgrade his capabilities, such as number of weapons that he can carry, ammunition limits, and more. Each subsequent upgrade takes a different animal hide, so variety in hunting is required. Brody can also cut down various plants to make different drug cocktails to aid him, the most prominent one being a health syringe to heal him while in combat. The collectibles range from lost letters detailing the history of the island, relics, and loot chests to give Brody some extra cash. The economy system is fine within the game, if a bit too simple, but it accomplishes its goal of making sure that Brody must acquire money frequently in order to replenish his ammunition or purchase new weapons. Traversing the world is fairly straightforward as well, as Brody can use his own legs or several different types of vehicles to get around. Driving in first person, however, can take a bit of practice. And with the large variety of underground structures and other locations in the game, exploring is fun as well as rewarding. There are also numerous side quests that can be done, such as hunting challenges, that can give Brody an edge as well as other things to do. The soundtrack and the voice acting are also quite good, with a stellar performance provided by the voice actor of Vaas, who really helps bring that character to life as a compelling and rather frightening villain. The soundtrack itself is quite beautiful, especially the main theme, which is rather haunting. Finally, Brody’s story is quite immersive, as his struggles of freeing his friends as well as his descent into darkness over the course of the game provide a compelling narrative that few FPS games tend to provide. Aiding this are the interesting secondary characters that either aid or hinder Brody.

There are only a few negatives worth mentioning. The aforementioned pop in and texture issues can be distracting but otherwise make no serious impact. There are also some performance issues with loading new areas in the form of lag but the instances are somewhat few and do not last overly long. Glitches are also fairly common but usually they do not actually affect the game play. Combat can also become a bit frustrating at times as it is easy to overlook some enemies in the heat of battle and have them flank you, leading to complicated situations. It does increase the difficulty of course, but it can be a turnoff. The same can be said from hunting, as the predatory animals can often be heard but not seen, leading to surprise encounters that could end up costing the player dearly. The game can also feel a bit repetitive at times, and the absolute need to use the radio towers to reveal bits of the map can also be frustrating, as without the full map it can be difficult to plan routes for missions or just moving around. Brody’s story, while very good from an emotional standpoint, can feel a bit weird at times, as Brody at first is very sickened by the violence but that is quickly left behind, and by the end of the game he clearly enjoys it. While it makes sense somewhat, the transition feels a bit off. And while Vaas and some of the characters are good, some of the other characters, including the second antagonist, are just not developed as well comparatively. Compared to Vaas especially, the second antagonist is rather disappointing, and I would have rather had Vaas as the villain throughout. Related to this are the boss fights, which are frustrating at times and underwhelming in the very end. The game also ends with two choices, and while one feels like a natural one, the other is quite jarring and disappointing as well. It simply does not feel like a natural conclusion to his story and therefore unnecessary should the player choose this option, and I would have preferred if both endings had meaning. Perhaps that is something that can be resolved in future titles.

Overall, though, the game is quite an astounding one. The sense of adventure as well as Brody’s story are exemplary, and the mechanics flow together well. The story is quite dark and mature, featuring realism, the mythology of the island, and really awesome and sometimes silly moments. The darkness of the story, while sometimes uncomfortable, nonetheless is a huge highlight of the game. There are some hiccups, certainly, but few games ever lack those. The game comes together quite nicely, with plenty to do, plenty to see, and a good experience. Far Cry 3 is a solid game in the end, and a fun experience. This is definitely a must play game, and one of the best open world and FPS games I have ever played.

9/10

(Sorry for the lowish quality pictures)
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; October 15, 2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Far Cry 3 (Far Cry Franchise Review)

Added
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Far Cry 3 (Far Cry Franchise Review)

Far Cry 4 (2014)

Far Cry 4
    Ajay Ghale has returned to his homeland of Kyrat to fulfill his mother’s dying wish...To be buried at the shrine of Lakshmana. However when he arrives in the country he is intercepted by Pagan Min, despot of Kyrat and a former friend of your mother’s. Escaping from his compound with the aid of the resistance members of the Golden Path, Ajay discovers that his father founded the resistance movement, and decides that it is his destiny to help the Golden Path bring down Pagan Min and free Kyrat.

--------------------------------
    Far Cry 4 is an open world first person shooter, taking place in the mountains and valleys of the fictional country of Kyrat. Within the game there are many promising features that come to mind. The country of Kyrat is indeed an astoundingly pretty setting for the game that has been lovingly detailed by Ubisoft with gameplay, story, and side activities fully in mind to bring an inspiring and deadly setting. Kyrat is a large country, with the whole region being about a dozen square miles or more. Within this large world the I found the environment to be rich and lush, filled with many interesting locations, collectibles, and various plants and animals that the player utilizes in his quest to free his countrymen and the nation as a whole from the despotic Pagan Min. Every location is unique, and really helps to bring the world to life. I especially love how every region of the world has unique places to uncover and secrets to find, as well as many different animals that are either harmless or incredibly deadly to Ajay. Despite playing it on the PS3 initially, the world is quite pretty, though it does show its age at times.On the PS4 it looks much better, however there are still some graphical issues, the only notable one being the presence of a fair amount of pop in at distances, especially when moving quickly in vehicles such as the gyrocopter. However, with the magnificent size of the world of Kyrat, I find it to be somewhat okay for there to be some graphical issues, even on the PS4.

Unlike the previous character, Jason Brody, Ajay Ghale is himself a soldier and therefore is very skilled already in the ways of combat. This is much more realistic than in the previous game, which I consider to be a bonus to the gameplay itself as it makes more sense than what happens in Far Cry 3. However, there is still many skills for him to learn throughout the game. . These skills as well as the the upgrades in weapons, weapon modifications, as well as upgrading/crafting equipment through hunting is one of the best features of Far Cry 4, as it feels natural for the player, through Ajay, to need to improve himself to become the savior of Kyrat and carry on the legacy of his parents who founded the resistance movement. The main flaw that comes with this, like in Far Cry 3, is that naturally players who are familiar with FPS mechanics may not really need to upgrade that much and may skip it, depriving themselves of a useful mechanic. Many of the upgrades are not necessary for the gameplay, fortunately, so players can focus on the necessary ones throughout the course of the main campaign and not spend so much time grinding to better themselves. Unlike my playthrough of the previous game, I DID spend a lot of time grinding to get many of my skills up, and while it caused my game to go on much longer, I found myself much more comfortable with the combat and other things this time around.

Combat is of course the centerpiece of the gameplay as the game is an FPS shooter. Ajay has many weapons available to him.The combat mechanics themselves are fairly straight forward as it is an FPS, but along with up to four main weapons Ajay can use mines, grenades, and other side weapons to assist him in freeing Kyrat. All of these weapons can be found, purchased, or given for free upon completion of certain side activities. Returning to the game is the most overpowered weapon in the game; the bow, and this time also a small crossbow. With these returns the issue present in the previous game; how overpowered these bow weapons are. Carrying up to fifty of each arrow type plus the special arrows, Ajay is very overpowered. With the ability to collect the ammo after it was used and their silent capabilities help stealth and accomplishing tasks with such ease that it feels like it is almost cheating. Witha small amount of practice it would not be difficult at all to finish almost the entire game with only the bow or crossbow, which should not be how the game should really be played. However, that is really up to the player to decide. It is simply a bit much that a bow and arrow is good enough to take on a veritable army of men armed with assault rifles, grenades, and other high-end weapons. It is disappointing that this relative flaw returns from Far Cry 3, but it is still a fun mechanic.

Other positive features of the game include the sense of exploration that comes with having an entire country at your disposal. There are many things to collect and do in the Kyrat, much like the previous location of the Rook Islands of Far Cry 3. Like before, there are outposts (formerly strongholds) and radio towers that can be captured in order to be used by Ajay throughout the game. Outposts, like strongholds before, become spawn points, fast travels, and safehouses where weapons can be purchased and equipped once captured by the player. while radio towers, once climbed, reveal significant parts of the map, aiding the player in navigation and completing objectives. There are also several forts throughout the game that, once liberated, give the player several advantages. Much of this gameplay mechanic is very repetitive, however each outpost and radio tower do offer something different, as the outposts have different set ups while the towers must be climbed in different ways. So while repetitive, Ubisoft did at least try to mix it up with each one. But Ubisoft did make the mistake of allowing the gyrocopter to be used in clearing radio towers; the ability to fly to and land on almost all the radio towers simplifies this mechanic and reduces the challenge. It is disappointing, but it entirely reliant on player choices to do it this way.

Another interesting feature is the hunting and crafting, already mentioned above. Like before, Kyrat has many native animals, and Ajay can hunt them to use their skins to upgrade his capabilities, such as number of weapons that he can carry, ammunition limits, and more. Each subsequent upgrade takes a different animal hide, so variety in hunting is required. In addition to this, the side activities from the Kyrat Fashion Week provide Ajay with a final test for fully upgrading each thin by hunting special animals that have their own challenges associated with them. Ajay can also cut down many different plants scattered throughout Kyrat to make different drug cocktails to help in several different areas of gameplay mechanics, the most prominent one being a health syringe to heal him while in combat, which can of course be upgraded.

Not much has changed from Far Cry 3 in terms of collectibles. The collectibles range from lost letters about the history of the Golden Path and other things, relics, and loot chests to give Ajay extra cash for the gameplay. The economy system, like before, is adequate for the the gameplay, if a bit too simple. However it is necessary as there are many things that must be bought and sold throughout the game, and while money is somewhat tight initially since ammunition is expensive, it becomes much easier throughout the game. In fact near the end it is pretty much impossible to spend enough unless you wish to acquire every single item, including the expensive (but unnecessary) signature weapons. In addition, moving throughout the world is simple enough, and you can take several vehicles or move with your own feet in order to accomplish your travels. Like before, driving in first person, can take a bit of practice, but it does not take long to become an accomplished driver.. And with the large variety of underground structures and other locations in the game, exploring is fun as well as rewarding. There are also numerous side quests that can be done, such as hunting challenges, that can give Ajay Ghale an edge as well over his enemies as well as other things to do. Many of these side activities involve liberating people from the soldiers of Pagan Min or otherwise helping them. The most interesting activities come from liberated outposts, with each one providing separate challenges and rewards.

The soundtrack and the voice acting are also quite good, with a stellar performance provided by the voice actor of Pagan Min in the form of Troy Baker. The rest of the cast does a good job, but Baker is magnificent as the tyrant of Kyrat. Min himself is a very interesting and cunning villain, and that personality is only aided by Baker’s performance in the role. The soundtrack itself is quite beautiful, especially the main theme, which is rather haunting. The story itself is also quite good (though not as good as Far Cry 3 in my opinion), and is further aided by the ability to “choose” the future of Kyrat by aiding one of the two different leaders of the Golden Path, though ultimately Ajay has the ability to ignore each of them in helping Kyrat achieve its freedom.

There are only a few negatives worth mentioning. While I do enjoy the mechanics, much of the gameplay is simply a retread of the previous game. While those mechanics worked, I wish that Ubisoft had taken a few more risks with the story and mechanics and delivered something a little more fresh. The already mentioned pop in and texture issues can be distracting to the player during certain sequences, but ultimately have no huge impact on the course of the gameplay. There are also some performance issues with loading new areas in the form of lag but the instances are somewhat few and do not last overly long. Glitches are also fairly common but usually they do not actually affect the game play. Like before, combat in Far Cry 4 can be frustrating at times as it is easy to overlook some enemies in the heat of battle and have them flank you, leading to complicated situations. This is especially true of a new enemy class, the hunters. Silent, invisible on the minimap, and can fire arrows quickly, the hunters are nearly universally hated by players of the game, and that includes me. An example of this is an early mission where you are attacked entirely by hunters; it is by far one of the most challenging missions, and that includes the last mission where you take on dozens of enemies. There are also several missions that deal with supernatural elements, one of which you cannot fight back, that I personally do not like. Of course this all does increase the difficulty, but it can be a turnoff to many players, including myself. The same can be said from hunting, as the predatory animals can often be heard but not seen, leading to surprise encounters that could end up costing the player dearly. Far Cry 4 can also feel a bit repetitive at times during several missions and other activities, and the need to climb the radio towers to be able to see the entire map can also be frustrating, as without the full map it can be difficult to plan adequate routes. Finally, though the sense of choice in certain missions and who ends up being the leader of the Golden Path is cool, though ultimately it is meaningless, which is frustrating. None of these issues are game-breaking to me, but they nonetheless can be quite frustrating to me as a player.

Like Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 is simply a purely fun game. The sense of adventure in Kyrat as well as Ajay’s journey are fun for me as a player. The story, the gameplay, the mechanics, and everything together combine to once again create a wonderful experience for me. The game is simply my type of game, and perhaps in that regard I am biased. There are some hiccups, certainly, but few games ever lack those. The worst part of the game is that Ubisoft did not take risks by changing things around, and in the end it is not much different from the previous game. However, it is a winning formula in my mind, so in some ways I don’t fault Ubisoft for wanting to take many risks. Overall though, this fourth main entry into the franchise comes together quite nicely, with the world offering plenty for me to do, plenty to see, and an overall good experience. Far Cry 4 is a solid game in the end, and while I did not like it as much as the previous entry, it is nonetheless a fun game to play.

8.5/10

At this point it is unlikely I will ever review Far Cry, Far Cry 2, or Far Cry Blood Dragon. However I still do intend to review Primal and Far Cry 5 at some point.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Default Re: Far Cry 4 (Far Cry Franchise Review)

Aha great .I like far cry games.But i am gonna rewrite my review of Farcry2 to give you better competition simply because i claim to have understood the real meaning of the game.
    Best of luck.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer