Thread: 14thC soldiers at Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim

Icon1 14thC soldiers at Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim

At Nidaros Cathedral, Trondheim, Norway, is an altar with scenes from the Life of Saint Olaf. Olaf died centuries earlier, but the costume shown on the alter is from a later period. The story seems to start at bottom left and progress anti-clockwise. The scene of the Battle of Stiklestad shows the death of Olaf amongst foot-soldiers with swords, spear or axe, with heater shields with various forms of cross on them. Are the arms and armour consistent with the early 14th century? Are the various crosses what Scandinavian soldiers would have on their shields or is this to fit the religious subject?

A larger image of the Scenes from the Life of Saint Olaf, Altar, Nidaros Cathedral, Trondheim, Norway, first half of the 14th century

MIRROR SITE
    Scenes from the Life of Saint Olaf, Altar, Nidaros Cathedral, Trondheim, Norway, first half of the 14th century

Druzhina345
    Scandinavian Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Ringeck's Avatar Lauded by his conquests

Default Re: 14thC soldiers at Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim

The story progression is upper left (The dream of Olav), lower left (Olav hands out pieces of silver before the battle), lower right (Olav gets it at the battle) upper right (Olav is declared a saint after being exhumed).

Quote Originally Posted by druzhina345 View Post
    Are the arms and armour consistent with the early 14th century? Are the various crosses what Scandinavian soldiers would have on their shields or is this to fit the religious subject?
    The armour and weapons worn and used by both the goodies and baddies is consistent with early 14th century Norway. The exception is one of the battles at the battle (Tore Hund ("Tore the Dog") who is wearing a magical reindeer coat (given to him by Lapp wizards?) that turns blows.

The helmets are artists' depictions of the typical norwegian chapel de fer (stalhufvú) of the period. We have several surviving examples, these among them:

(1-2-3 late 13th/early14th, 4 early 13th/late 12th, 5 later)

The crosses are part of Olaf's Legend - Olav is supposed to have demanded his men decorate their shields with the cross - and thus likely not accurate (and definitely not for the 14th century). We have an extensive collection of norwegian medieval heraldry from the sigil collection of the Royal Archives. Few if any cross shields.
    -Client of ThiudareiksGunthigg-

tabacila speaks a sad truth:
    Well I guess fan boys aren't creatures meant to be fenced in. They roam free like the wild summer wind...

Thanks Ringeck.
    It is useful to know what things that have been included are in the legends, which may be the reason they are included. I had wondered about the fur worn by one of the pagans. I have been told that the Cross of St. Olaf is gold on red, which matches the colours of Olaf's shield on the altar. Axes are also in the legend.

Some of the chapels de fer have redish cheeks pieces, and there are a couple of round or conical helmets with nasals.

Does the lower left scene depict Olaf being converted?

Druzhina345
    Last edited by pannonian; October 02, 2015 at 12:05 PM.

Ringeck's Avatar Lauded by his conquests

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by druzhina345 View Post
    Does the lower left scene depict Olaf being converted?
    See the first line in my reply above the quote.
    -Client of ThiudareiksGunthigg-

tabacila speaks a sad truth:
    Well I guess fan boys aren't creatures meant to be fenced in. They roam free like the wild summer wind...

Thanks Ringeck, I didn't notice that line.

Druzhina345
    Last edited by pannonian; October 02, 2015 at 12:04 PM.