Thread: Units cost?!

Default Units cost?!

I'm rather confused by the cost of units. First of all the in-game prices look 11% higher than in the units_tables folder. If it's intended, why?
    Secondly, samurai units are horribly expensive. According to units_tables, a Yari Sam costs 1500 koku, 3x the price of a Yari Ashigaru. Upkeep is nearly 6x higher. This makes Yari Ashigaru cost-effective against nearly every samurai unit.
    If someone can explain the rationale behind this...

Tested on the Sengoku Gekokujo v4 Patch 6 version.

Default Re: Units cost?!

For the 11% higher than in units-tables ... I honestly have no idea. It could be techs, it could be balancing for the player (IE difficulty settings).

For the Samurai...that is kind of the point. Early on, Samurai are much, much better than ashigaru. Levy Ashigaru won't do just about anything other than tire out an enemy, and low grade Ashigaru tend to hold a little bit better, before dying horribly. Ashigaru Archers are useful, somewhat, when spammed, although they fall over in combat quite quickly. Samurai can make absolute mincemeat of these units in close combat. However, as the Ashigaru get better in quality, then the quality gap between Ashigaru and Samurai begins to close, and become much more cost effective, reflecting the changing landscape of the Japanese militaries during this time from Feudal Samurai to Ashigaru dominated armies.

So at the beginning of the game a Samurai stack will steam roll several ashigaru armies quite easily (And can be a mid-game player's worst nightmare if they're gone an Ashigaru army route), while at the late game the Samurai stack will probably only win one or two battles before being overwhelmed by improved Ashigaru.

Default Re: Units cost?!

Thanks for your response. The higher cost is indeed linked to difficulty. I never noticed this until now because I was playing with Darthmod

For the Samurai part I did some testing, and at the start of the game Ashigaru cost-effectively dominate them without trouble. This need to be reworked...