Thread: Having issues installing XGM on Rome Tota War: Anthology ?

Default Having issues installing XGM on Rome Tota War: Anthology ?

Hi guys,

New user here, I was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem I'm having.

I have been playing XGM for quite a while now on the standard vanilla RTW cd but I lost it a while ago, so the other day I went and bought RTW: Anthology, which consists of the core game, BI & Alexander all on one disc.

When you install the game it kind of installs through Steam, you have to go on Steam to access BI & Alexander, when I tried to re-install XGM using this disc I naturally followed ticked the option to install through Steam and also the BI exe at first, it then stated that I had the incorrect version of RTW and that I needed 1.5 or BI 1.6 but allowed me to continue with the installation. Near the end of the installation it also stated dat.pack failed or something to that effect, I then proceeded to follow the instructions given if playing through BI on Steam.

When I start up the game the load up screen just looks similar to vanilla RTW and when I try to click on imperial campaign it asks me to select an item, I then tried using the Alex exe with Steam but when I start up the game it states a certain directory failed I can't quite remember what it was exactly but I'm guessing it's a file needed for the mod to work.

I'm not the most computer savvy guy so this description is probably too long and not specific enough but does anybody have this Anthology version of RTW and been able to install this mod ? Or does anybody know what I should do to get it going if possible?

Appreciate any replies

Thanks.

Default Re: Having issues installing XGM on Rome Tota War: Anthology ?

I have RTW:Gold+Alex on Steam.
    I got that same error message when I first installed XGM (clicked: Alex.exe + Steam install options).
    On my second try I only clicked "install through Steam" and none of the BI/Alex exes.. Works perfectly now.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

As Skizzy says, the easy option is just to play with the RTW exe. If you really want to use the BI exe with Steam then some manual steps are required, which you can find in the readme.

Also it sounds like the installer is failing to find the BI folder, which might be due to the Anthology version putting it in a different location to the Gold version. If that's the case then even the manual instructions may not work, and you will have to stick with the RTW exe.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    As Skizzy says, the easy option is just to play with the RTW exe. If you really want to use the BI exe with Steam then some manual steps are required, which you can find in the readme.

Also it sounds like the installer is failing to find the BI folder, which might be due to the Anthology version putting it in a different location to the Gold version. If that's the case then even the manual instructions may not work, and you will have to stick with the RTW exe.
    Not sure if this is relevant, but here's a little addition:
    I only installed it with Steam on my second try, but I can still attempt "Night Battles".. Which I am sure is a BI-only thing..
    So why would I want to use the BI.exe if this stuff still works?

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzy View Post
    Not sure if this is relevant, but here's a little addition:
    I only installed it with Steam on my second try, but I can still attempt "Night Battles".. Which I am sure is a BI-only thing..
    So why would I want to use the BI.exe if this stuff still works?
    Some BI features are in the RTW exe as well, like religion/culture and night battles, but some others are missing like the shield wall formation, and swimming units. The main reason to play with the BI exe is to get the shield wall formation which is available to hoplites in XGM. The Alex exe has the same features as the RTW exe, so it lacks shield wall, but it includes a fix for a very annoying bug that affects phalanx formation and it might have better AI. Personally I recommend the Alex exe if you can get it to work.

Aah so that's why my hoplites don't have a shieldwall and why my phalanxes keep "backpedalling" when attacked..

But since the XGM installer recognized my exes as being from the wrong patch versions when I tried to install over BI.exe/Alex.exe, I had no choice but to install just with the Steam option.
    (I have RTW:Gold + Alexander both on Steam)

Actually that last part was kind of a question to you DBH
    Do you know why this happens and how I can fix it? (why the installer doesn't recognize my patch-versions of the exes)
    I would really like to try and play with hoplites that actually have the shieldwall.

My guess is that your BI and Alex files are not located where the installer expects to find them. Unfortunately I don't own a steam copy so I can't check myself to see what the folder layout is.

With the disk versions, BI and Alex are located inside the top level RTW folder, so if you find the RTW exe then the BI and Alex exes will be in the same folder, and the game files for each will be in subfolders (called BI and Alexander ). From what you said earlier it sounds like the installer is finding the RTW exe, but failing to find the BI and Alex exes, which probably means that they are located in a different place.

If you can find the locations for each exe on your system I might be able to provide some advice about how to use them.

"C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\" is my Steam folder (made a little C:/Games folder to prevent the "Program Files" UAC bugs etc...)
    C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold ---> My RTW:Gold folder.
    C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\bi ---> My BI folder.
    C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Alexander ---> My Alexander folder.

As you can see, for the Steam versions, the RTW:gold/RTW:gold:BI and RTW:Alex folders are separated.
    In the "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\" folder both RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-BI.exe are located.
    As well as the "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Gold\bi" folder for the BI stuff.
    This is where the Alex.exe is located:
    "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rome Total War Alexander"
    File called: RomeTW-ALX.exe

So like you said about the disc-version of the game being all in the same folder; for Steam: RTW+BI are in a different folder from Alex..

Of course for me it's all in the "C:\games/etc etc" folders, because I didn't want to install my games into the "Program Files" folders due to Fallout 3 + Fallout:NV bugging up on that folder

In that case the manual instructions in the readme should work for using the BI exe. If you want to use the Alex exe then choose the Alex option, and the 'use steam' option, and then click on the browse button and manually find your 'Rome Total War Alexander' folder for the install location. That will probably work.

Did the Alex.exe install. No error messages about patch-versions being incorrect. It all went fine.
    Starting up now to see if everything works.

Working fine on the Alex.exe install.
    Now trying the BI.

EDIT: Last time I tried installing with BI.exe I did not read your instructions all the way through and completely ignored the manual steps required.. :p
    Last edited by Skizzy; September 26, 2015 at 06:01 AM.

When I get a chance I'll update the installer and see if I can the Alex/Steam install to work automatically.

Actually it seems there's no need for that..
    You might just want to insert a little bit of text in the installing-readme about selecting the Alexander folder for installs with Alex.exe, instead of the normal RTW folder.

Sidenote: XGM over BI+Steam also works perfectly, except that on windows 10 you need to add "-ne" to the Steam launch-options.. And manually edit the preferences.txt of all versions of RTW to fit your desktop resolution..
    (As I described here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX)