Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] Gladiators and slave revolts

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Gladiators and slave revolts

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Got to love Kirk Douglas in this with his flat top haircut.

Default Re: [Preview] Gladiators and slave revolts

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    I think I need to go back to my original Gannicus avatar xD
    Back in the days...

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Got to love Kirk Douglas in this with his flat top haircut.
    Yeah, the whole film is great, Peter Ustinov is even better in that film. Those were the glorious times of Hollywood...

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

I love this movie´s interpretation of the legion, even if their equipment is imperial (and they carry hastae, i just rewatched the scene on yt^^), it just looks extremely cool and actually frightening how well executed these maneuvres are^^

Will your gladiatorial units appear in slave uprisings which are not inside roman territory? Or will there be distinctive slave units for certain regions?

On another note, do we actually know what equipment a gallus carried?
    I´ve never found anything on the net...

Best regards^^
    Last edited by Maetharin; September 12, 2015 at 04:28 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplitus View Post
    Yeah, the whole film is great, Peter Ustinov is even better in that film. Those were the glorious times of Hollywood...
    Yes, I agree. I also thought Laurence Olivier was excellent as Crassus. There was some excellent cinematography in this film. I always remember the scene, directly after the final battle, when Laurence Olivier walks across the destruction of the battlefield. I thought this was moving.

Default Re: [Preview] Gladiators and slave revolts

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    And what, I wonder, does good Solonius recieve for convincing me to spread cheeks and accept deeper ramming?
    "Primus against Pompey finally mine and the Gods JAM IN ASS"

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Heh... I never saw this preview! What a fun little submod! I might even be tempted to finally play as Rome. I can imagine role playing a general who hires a couple of units of gladiators for his own private wars... Any chance these units become available for other factions? I realize that would be mostly ahistorical, but as fantasy units go this is one of my favorites!

Gladiators aren't fantasy units.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmafia2020 View Post
    [...] as fantasy units go this is one of my favorites!

Gladiators aren't really fantasy units, atleast not the ones representing revolting (slave) gladiators since that did happen now and again in the roman state. Spartacus' uprising, which resulted in the third servile war being the most famous instance.
    Also it did happen that roman senators and other important people surrounded themselves with gladiators as bodyguards. As such it would be kinda cool if building a colloseum would net the garrison one unit of gladiator bodyguards, who ofc would be properly outfitted for war in the case of a siege.
    Last edited by Le_Swede; October 10, 2015 at 08:47 AM.

Actually the entire gladiator school chain now gives a garrison of gladiator units and allows the recruitment of them, with this submod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Moscavich View Post
    Actually the entire gladiator school chain now gives a garrison of gladiator units and allows the recruitment of them, with this submod.
    Ah sweet.

Yes, galdiators are no fantasy units. It all depends on a proper implementation.

- gladiators were used as special trainers in the legions. But afaik not before the 2nd century AD. Obviously the romans saw a need for training in 1 vs 1 combat. Because for formation combat, they already had better trainers. So single gladiators as companions of a general giving a special buff makes sense. If it is not already implemented. But rectuitable units like in Vanilla make no sense at all.

- when a roman city was sieged, everybody helped to man the walls, even gladiators. Gladiators fighting on the walls are mentioned in ancient sources. So gladiator units for the city garrison, perhaps combined with the gladiator school makes a lot of sense. And in the case, the city is attacked, we even can play them.

- gladiators as AI unit for slave revolts makes perhaps sense, too. Well, we don't know, if Spartacus army had distinct units of gladiators only

- I also think, that gladiators were not using their equipment. At least not all of it. Gladiator equipment, especially the helmets were rather invented to hinder the gladiator by balancing reasons. Actually it was a very special sports equipment. I bet, Spartacus took the first lorica hamata and helmet, he could get from a dead roman. But hey, this is just a game. So let them look like gladiators. That's ok.
    Last edited by UsulDaNeriak; October 12, 2015 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Moscavich View Post
    But just in the submod right? For the main game, I would propose to use them as garrison units too. Even if we do not know, if the gladiators established a separate unit in case of siege or not.

In the main game there are 2 types of gladiator units. The first type are rebellion/slave units and are equipped accordingly. The second type are more "gladiatorish" units but they are only garrisons from arenas.

The submod will introduce many classic looking gladiator units that you can recruit, but that won't be in the main mod.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

I haven't faced a rebellion yet. Is this "live' now?
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

It is

So are these supposed to be in game in the current version? I'm about 400 turns into my Roma campaign and every time there's a slave revolt it's all Roma garrison units (Italian town guard, Italian garrisoned swordsmen, etc.)

I will look again to make sure the settings are correct.

Miraklum's Avatar Libertus

Looking good

This is a preview for 1.1 so its already in game

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast