Thread: Realistic African Coastlines

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default Realistic African Coastlines

Look at any map of ancient empires that ruled over Africa and you will notice the people kept to the coast. This is because of a little thing called the sahara desert. It was bugging me that CA's provinces did not realistically "keep to the coast" so I made a little mod to fix it. We can't do much without the extrator, but I made this little improvement to enhance my own gaming experience and I hope that others of similiar mind can enjoy this little mod as well.

In game pic of what the african coast will look like:

*no the moors don't start off with all those territories in the mod

Here is how the provinces are now layed out:

Step By Step Instilation:
    1)Download zipfile from attachment
    2)Unzip
    3)copy map_regions file
    4)go into program files, sega, M2TW, data, world, maps, base
    5)paste*(may just overwrite here, if so back up original file before pasting new)
    6)rename original map_regions, name copy of map_regions to map_regions
    7)delete map.rwm
    8)Have fun!(Yes its a requirment)

NOT SAVE GAME COMPATIBLE
    Last edited by Kscott; January 03, 2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I dont have to explain myself to you...

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Default Re: Realistic African Coastlines

Now thats what I'm talking about! Great start Alcibiades!
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

please can you add more provinces on the map??? you are the first which have done this and added a file for the whole community!!

thx!
    SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY!!!
    http://www.politicallyincorrect.de/

MEMBER of S.I.N.

Eudorus's Avatar Tiro

AWSOME!!! cant wait to give it a go

hi Alcibaides,
    I also would like to split some regions, particularly in the Balkans and in Asia Minor. I have no idea of how to do this, I thought it was impossible at the moment. Can you tell me? May you had settlements? How?
    Thanks a lot
    I'm a real noob, as you can guess, also I've been playing Total war since Shogun!

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Atm no new settlements can be added until the unpacker comes with the first patch.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

thanks lusted for the info, everbody is waiting for this patch
    SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY!!!
    http://www.politicallyincorrect.de/

MEMBER of S.I.N.

So, you've not changed the terrain around a bit, making Timbuktu uncapturable?

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar83 View Post
    please can you add more provinces on the map??? you are the first which have done this and added a file for the whole community!!

thx!

As Lusted said, Im afraid I can't do that till the unpacker arives. Don't worry though, I plan on working on the map right away

So, you've not changed the terrain around a bit, making Timbuktu uncapturable?
    I didnt really want that for my version, but im willing to do that when I can find the time if you'd like.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Nice work.

Someone asked about using MedManager to install this mod, and I've just tested it - it works a treat. The advantage is you do not have to overwrite your original map file, so you can easily switch between different mods and the original game.

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

You should mention that this mod is not save-game compatible under some circumstances. I just saw it at a game my brother was playing:

In the year 1093 the game crashed. The log-file said something about "error: port build in a region were no port can be build".

It was in egypt (the game crashes in the moment the game calclated the moves for egypt, the map was not uncovered).

My guess is that the AI planned to build a port years ago, so it was in it's building tier. Then my brother installed your mod. With the changed coastline one of the region obviously lost it's acces to the ocean, but the port still was in the list. Then, when it was finally about being build, the game crashed.

It worked after I put out your mod. My brother didn't want to start a new campaign just for the new coastline.

I for myself will start a new campaign, I was just in turn 7 with england.
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane