Thread: Discussion: Word limit increase to 700 words per Tale.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Default Discussion: Word limit increase to 700 words per Tale.

When we imposed the 500 word limit a millenia ago, 200 words or less was all the rage, but perhaps with the passage of time we as a community have become less stringent.

Objections, agreements. ponderings about increasing the word limits?
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Discussion: Word limit increase to 700 words per Tale.

Honestly I quite like the 500 word limit, as it forces the writers to keep their stories short and compact without going off on too many tangents. If lots of others feel like you we could have a vote for everyone to participate in though, so as to get the lay of the land.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I agree, 500 is perfect at the moment. It forces you to edit your work and really think about what you should put in and what you shouldn't. It also allows you enter in a very short, to the point story without thinking you're handicapping yourself.

Personally I felt it forces you to focus on quality as opposed to quantity and as result, your writing improves. 700 would be too big I'd feel and would make the competition rather one dimensional.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

I know I've not voted or entered in a long time but 500 words is better. At 700, you'd either have to increase the minimum and that would take away the point of keeping it brief or there'd be too much of a difference between stories on opposite limits. Longer writing is more arbitrary but short is short and much more comparable and shorter stories might look as if the writer is putting in less effort.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

As Maximus said (about 2:29)....

The range is good.

Now what would be good is to put the closing date for each one or is that missed off for those times it slips?

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post

The range is good.

Now what would be good is to put the closing date for each one or is that missed off for those times it slips?

Uhhhh.... not following what you're saying...

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Why do you not put a closing date for each Tale? I think it would be good to have one, but perhaps this has been considered and rejected?

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    Why do you not put a closing date for each Tale? I think it would be good to have one, but perhaps this has been considered and rejected?
    Once the ToTW Community regains it's traction this really should'nt be an issue. In the days of old, we generally had enough participation to keep things moving along smoothly. In a pitch, me or one of the forumates would write a filler story so that particular storyboard could be moved to vote.

As you can see right now with have a pleathera of boards that need a nudge or two so that they can be moved to vote. It will take some elbow grease and
    willpower but we'll get there....

Well try and keep each storyboard on a weekly scheduale, but push come to shove, felxibilty will be availible when it's needed...

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

SO MUCH SUPPORT THESE CHARACTERS CAN'T CONTAIN IT.

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

I feel like 500 is luxurious. Knowing I'm writing a short story, I have twice now found that I ended up with around 200-300 words, total. Seven hundredis fine too of course, but I personally find that it is much more difficult (and thus more interesting) when stories are forced to be shorter. I love long reads when they are good of course, and as long as submissions are not penalized for going under the limit by a fair margin it should be fine overall.

If you forced me to lean in a direction on this issue, i would suggest staying at the present 500 words max.