Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [VIDEO] Petellius's Video Previews - Naval combat video 1/29

Default Re: [Preview] Petellius's Video Updates and Previews

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    I do try to be polite, but this one will always rankle me. When people throw around that word - historical - and they have no clue what they're talking about. The Roman use of infantry wedges is attested by a number of sources. Their is even evidence they employed it against Perseus at Pydna against the Macedonian phalanx.

The issue with the infantry wedge is the BAI overusing it - not that it didn't or shouldn't exist in game.
    Indeed the Wedge was used quite a bit by the Romans, especially if you subscribe to the notion that Seutonius won the battle of Watling street through an entire army of wedge formations xD (I personally am not so sure about this). Also how are units retaining their rigidity? Once combat ensues they lose their rigidity and become loose.

A few other notes:

I will not re introduce formation attack as it doesnt work properly and really ruins the feeling of battles for me, I only use it for hoplite units because I think its really necessary and mostly works for those distinct units. If formation attack worked like I wanted it to I would most definitely be fine using it more often.

Charges weren't actually as devastating as you'd think. They had more of a morale and weight impact than an actual casualty impact. Casualties were more often the cause of the routing stage or when units became too tired to resist a sustained attack (like the system I have developed). Also don't forget the units shown here have some of the most rigid and slow charges in the games, you should see the barbarian charges... they're terrifying and quite awesome to behold!

Pila are released before a charge, I just didnt show that very well in the video. I'll be doing an animation show case in a few weeks from now.

With the fighting animations only certain animations show up when fighting certain types of units. So fighting wild barbarians will see large slashing attacks against romans who are trying to hold them off with their shield. Animations will also be sorted for formed units who use faster, more confined animations and also splitting sword units into long sword units, who use more slashing attacks and short sword units who do more stabbing.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Well i know what you mean ABH2 i to don't mind some wedge formations attacks but the AI over uses it. Thats what i mean with some more testing and tweaking and you guys really got something here.

And i did see some pilla trows so don't know what he was looking at,

With the fighting animations only certain animations show up when fighting certain types of units. So fighting wild barbarians will see large slashing attacks against romans who are trying to hold them off with their shield. Animations will also be sorted for formed units who use faster, more confined animations and also splitting sword units into long sword units, who use more slashing attacks and short sword units who do more stabbing.
    And this is way more realistic then vanilla hollywood style.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Petellius could you pm me a screenshot of your graphicsettings that you were using in those vids? I just cant get a good balance but this looked good.
    Thanks

sent

Petelius did you also test this in siege battles would love to see how the AI reacts in a siege video.
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    Petelius did you also test this in siege battles would love to see how the AI reacts in a siege video.
    No not yet, sieges arent even in AE properly yet. They need balancing

I see, But would it not be wise for you to test all scenarios with your new BAI/SAI to see how it handles in all situations Balanced or not it allways good to know how it works in other situations so you can tweak that where needed and then when its balanced you only need to fine tweak some more "you hope!" to have a final version.

When do you think you guys get at sieges stage?

Libertus

Every time i see something new from this mod it blows me away every time. You guys have made attila unplayable for me (at least until the mod comes out )

Good I'm glad

Hi Petellius.

Can you post a battle with barbars? And can you will to zoom in the battle a littlle more?

by barbars do you mean barbarians? Or the Nabateans? Also we have no factions for the celtic or brittanic factions yet.

Ok.
    I mean barbarians.

I will by the end of the month.

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

I watched the video and saw some good BAI tactics but I can not say much about the vanilla battle AI as I only play Multiplayer Campaigns with the other player controlling the AI army.

As I am always a bit skeptical when it comes to BAI modding, I would like to ask if you actually created new battle scripts or tweaked existing ones and which in particular ?

All the best for the project and hopefully a modding breakthrough

Quote Originally Posted by Litharion View Post
    I watched the video and saw some good BAI tactics but I can not say much about the vanilla battle AI as I only play Multiplayer Campaigns with the other player controlling the AI army.

As I am always a bit skeptical when it comes to BAI modding, I would like to ask if you actually created new battle scripts or tweaked existing ones and which in particular ?

All the best for the project and hopefully a modding breakthrough
    Erm well mostly the routing and battle zones scripts (though philip will have to answer what he has changed as I didnt do all that much). The main change seems to have been to do with morale or some such, odd. Not quite figured out what triggered the change, nor quite how to get it back for the Romans.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

I really like what you guys did to the unit combat spacings in WOFE Extended. You can actually see them very compressed to one another, also it's much more visually organized and I dig it . I hope these kinds of battle spacings would make it through the Ancient Empires version in Attila though.

Then again... Those are nice changes to the BAI man, kind of feels like Germanicu's BAI in Medieval II

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    I really like what you guys did to the unit combat spacings in WOFE Extended. You can actually see them very compressed to one another, also it's much more visually organized and I dig it . I hope these kinds of battle spacings would make it through the Ancient Empires version in Attila though.

Then again... Those are nice changes to the BAI man, kind of feels like Germanicu's BAI in Medieval II
    Spacings exist here too, they're just a bit more subtle atm.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    I do try to be polite, but this one will always rankle me. When people throw around that word - historical - and they have no clue what they're talking about. The Roman use of infantry wedges is attested by a number of sources. Their is even evidence they employed it against Perseus at Pydna against the Macedonian phalanx.

The issue with the infantry wedge is the BAI overusing it - not that it didn't or shouldn't exist in game.
    Yes, I think its a difficult balance to attain. I'm probably wrong, but keeping the wedge formation will mean that the AI overuses it because it will detect it as providing an advantage.
    Excellent modding guys. I'm still a little confused about how you did this. I was under the impression that the BAI could not be modded. Is this an advantage of using Attila as a base?

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post

Well, first of all they're the same in all WoF versions. In Ancient Empires, we've only improved on the technique (believe it or not, but there is one even for a thing like this). They're also more aligned to historical sources in this case; much was improvised in the combat preview. It's possible you haven't noticed there being as many in AE because, frankly, there aren't as many - yet. We've got 68 spacings listed now, and that's just for a small fraction of the total number of factions, as most aren't in yet. Some of them will inevitably be similar, however the final number might approach 150 or 200.

Here are some examples on variety of the Northern African and Arab factions - http://imgur.com/a/zrkwa
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast